1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Help Save British Fraggle Rock Episodes

Discussion in 'Fraggle Rock' started by charlietheowl, Oct 6, 2012.

1. tedbear

tedbear New Member

Ah. One of the DVD episodes then. However, it does show that they are willing to air at least some part of episodes that have been found and are in broadcast quality.

2. SnakeLipsXD

SnakeLipsXD Active Member

Oh, no - that's terrible :( Does anyone know how they got wiped?

3. tedbear

tedbear New Member

We don't know for sure if they were wiped. TVS, the company that produced the British version has passed through several owners, and somehow, the paperwork for their tapes and archive has gone missing. Right now, the TVS archive is owned by Disney and ABC, but they can't do anything with the tapes they have, because of the paperwork. 12 episodes were been released on DVD in 2004, 17 have been found at the BFI's archive, and 12 were also released on VHS back in the 80's. 42 episodes are off-air recordings from VHS in private hands, but the quality varies from episodes, as most have no opening titles plus credits, and some have a few seconds missing from the start and end. 13 episodes are missing as of now. The old tapes still do exist, we just don't know where they are.

theSHE124 and SnakeLipsXD like this.
  4. SnakeLipsXD

Ok, well they should (at least) try to release the lot on dvd when they can - as it would definitely save the footage if this sort of thing happens again. :)

theSHE124 likes this.
  5. anathema

anathema Active Member

And we have another find!

'Beginnings', 'You Can't Do That Without a Hat', 'The Thirty-Minute Work Week' and 'I Don't Care' have all been found on VHS.

9 to go...

6. SnakeLipsXD

Yes!
    Go, Go, Fraggle Go! XD

theSHE124 and MikaelaMuppet like this.
  7. ST1DS1

ST1DS1 New Member

Could you try and post the UK version of Beginnings on YouTube, Dailymotion, or any other video website?

MikaelaMuppet and SnakeLipsXD like this.
  8. anathema

anathema Active Member

It isn't mine to post.

9. ST1DS1

ST1DS1 New Member

Could you perhaps pass my request on to someone who does actually have the means to post on Beginnings?

10. Colbynfriends

Colbynfriends Well-Known Member

There may be some legal reasons as to why. Copyright, or maybe the copy is private and was meant for just one or a select group of people. It is a shame but sometimes red tape is hard to cut though. If you understand what I mean.

11. tedbear

tedbear New Member

There are much less tight copyright rules on Dailymotion. Already there are lots of US Fraggle Rock episodes on there.

12. Colbynfriends

But again, it's not theirs to post. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    I'll say the amount of UK episodes that are accounted for now is astonishing. Only what, 7 episodes missing out of 96? That's awesome.

SnakeLipsXD likes this.
  13. ST1DS1

ST1DS1 New Member

What episode do you think UK Fraggle Rock fans want to see the most?

SnakeLipsXD likes this.
  14. tedbear

tedbear New Member

Probably the later ones, including the final episode. Speaking of which, had actually been uploaded to YouTube at one point, but in less than one week got taken down.

SnakeLipsXD likes this.
  15. Colbynfriends

I"m sure UK Fraggle Fans would love to have a box set of their own series on DVD like the US version has. Which would be pretty awesome.

Now, something I wonder, could the UK portions be remastered and spliced in with the other footage from the US version to make a hybrid show? For some it wouldn't work but other episodes maybe not so much.

SnakeLipsXD likes this.
  16. ST1DS1

ST1DS1 New Member

The one episode that I feel is mandatory to post on Dailymotion is Beginnings.

SnakeLipsXD likes this.
  17. Colbynfriends

Well its not "mandatory" though would be nice. However that's saying the holder of the episode is able to and or has some copyright claim so it lessens the chance of Henson filing a claim. Even though it's a different platform than YT copyright still counts there on Dailymotion too.

That being said it would be nice I agree. Just not mandatory for whom ever is the episode holder.

18. ST1DS1

ST1DS1 New Member

It just seems necessary in a way to post on Beginnings. Mind you, we've seen a short clip, so why not the full episode?

19. ST1DS1

ST1DS1 New Member

Why did Fulton MacKay choose to pull out of Fraggle Rock?

SnakeLipsXD likes this.
  20. Colbynfriends

I don't think it was voluntary, Fulton Mackay passed away during production:
    http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Fulton_MacKay
    "MacKay died between the second and third season and was replaced by John Gordon Sinclair."
    Also where was the clip posted? Could have been directly from the owner or another person's taped off of tv copy. I wish I knew why but I'm not really an expert. Just interested in lost media.

SnakeLipsXD likes this.