Help with a Classic Counting Segment, Please

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Greetings from the Count! As you guys know, I'm a huge fan of classic counting segments and mythic monsters/creatures. Mikealan reported watching a classic counting segment in one of the first episodes from Season 31 of Sesame Street yesterday. If anyone can help me out with appreciating this sketch even more, please supply the following to the best of your collective knowledge.

(In the form of a list if it's most convenient for you guys.)
1 The number that appeared either before the mythic creature appeared or that said creature changed themselves into.
2 Which mythical creature changed themselves into their corresponding number.
3 How that creature changed themselves into their respective numbers.
4 How the line of mythical creatures moved on to the next number and/or creature.
5 Physical descriptions of each mythical creature with the information you believe pertinent to help with the description.

Please post your replies here or contact me with the info requested. Thanks for your help with this matter and have a good day.

ssetta

Reaction score
Are you sure it was classic? It might have been "Animal Counting", but I don't recall it. The only other 20 clips I remember were the "Growing Numbers" and the "Bellhop Series".

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps I mis-staken-ly called this counting segment a "classic." Mikealan claims to have seen this segment in the Sesame Street Season 31 priemere on Noggin on Saturday, April 12, 2003 at 9:00 AM EST. Maybe it might help that he listed it as among the classic cartoons/clips that he saw in a couple of episodes yesterday as listed in his thread "Watched Sesame Street Episodes" with an episode number that I don't recall fright now. Please drag in Mikealan's zombie corpse into this thread so that he can answer my queries if there's noone else who knows what the sketch was about. Thanks for all your help and have a good night.

mikealan

Reaction score
Originally posted by ssetta
Are you sure it was classic? It might have been "Animal Counting", but I don't recall it. The only other 20 clips I remember were the "Growing Numbers" and the "Bellhop Series".
Oh, yeah. the "Mythic Creature Counting", the "Growing Numbers" and the "Bellhop Series" are quite the late counting segments of the 90's after the number painter series, the falling baker series, the pinball series, the race cars/spies series and the counting circus tamer series.

Can you identify the other number series that count up to a higher number? They're both of them:

The first one was where it shows us the stamps with the numbers.

The second one was featured surreal scenes like the number "5" that had eyes, the "3" in the fish, the "4" inside a kite, the "8" in the hola dancer and the "1" between the two little circles.

These counting series were shown on the Season 25 shows many times.

ssetta

Reaction score
That used to be like my favorite counting series when I was little! I believe it's called "Mask Numbers." And the music was written by Stephen Lawrence.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
That's really great that you guys remember these counting segments. Guess I'm still hoping against hope that you can help me out with the mythic creatures counting up to 20. What mythic creatures were used for each of the numbers as they counted from 1 to 20? How did they change their bodies to form the numbers? Any help with these queries will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help and have a good day.