Help with Marvel Comics - and the buying thereof

Beauregard

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I'm thinking of buying something Batman or X-men related for my little bro (who's 16 this year). He loves the X-men although he hasn't read the comics, and he adores Batman (movies and cartoon series) but hasn't seen many episodes of the cartoon series.

I wanted to get him either a series of the new Batman Animated series, or Batman Beyond...but those arn't available in Region 2 dvd.

I'd go for a hard of softback omnibus of comics, but have no idea where to start with either series! (Plus, don't want anything too violent...Some batmans can be horrid).

Any ideas peeps?

Redsonga

Reaction score
If he likes reading and doesn't care about having what is 'new and cool' I think with X-Men you should start at the beginning :

Essential X-Men Vol 1
https://www.scifigenre.com/itemDetail.aspx?nItemID=77&sid=IV0XPXH01TSWUJN

If he wants new series that are a retelling of the start, X-Men: First Class is a good one. In May a new mini-series is starting about what if the X-Men had aged in real time and it was really 30 years later, with their children as heros now, it will be called GeNext.

If he just wants a normal current title that would be X-Men: Legacy.
And I know you didn't ask, but if he wants to ever get into Spider-Man Amazing Spider-Man is doing great right now a a point for new readers to start :smile:.
Batman is by DC Comics by the way :smile:

I've been reading comics since I was fourteen :big_grin: