Henson biography

Mike Selby

Reaction score
Hello,

I was told the following story when I was young: Jim Henson wanted to work in TV, and applied at a news station. They had no openings, except for a puppet segment, so he went home and cut up his mother's green drapes.

Is any of this even true?

dwmckim

Reaction score
It's kind of the "Cliff Notes"/oversimplified soundbite version of Jim's beginnings, but yeah, basically true.

Mike Selby

Reaction score
Thank-you. Is the story about the drapes mentioned in any book or online biography?

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
There is a great book out there it's called "Jim Henson: The Works" you should check it out. Also there's a new book coming out soon called "Frogs,Hogs, Weirdos and What-Nots" you can get that soon too.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Actually it was a coat, not drapes.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
There's still not really a definitive biography on Jim's life. The Works is probably the best. I feel like, at this point, with all the interviews out there, it's time for someone to write something.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
It is all true. At first Jim was never into Puppets, he was relly into TV. But his local sation needed a Puppeteer and he thought "How hard can it be?" That's really when it all started. That's where Sam and Freinds started and that's where Jim met Jane (and later got married).
For more infor you can check out Jim Henson's Red Book