Henson Exits Muppet House Post

Sweetums74

Reaction score
Henson Exits Muppet House Post

(Hollywood Reporter) -- Brian Henson is ready to throw a few penguins. Henson is stepping down from his post as chairman of the Jim Henson Co. after nearly 12 years as the head of the company founded in 1955 by his late father, Jim Henson. On Thursday, Brian Henson said he has been thinking about stepping away from the management responsibilities at the company ever since it was acquired two years ago by the German media concern EM.TV & Merchandising. "Since then, it's just been more and more clear to me that I want to focus 100% of my efforts on directing and producing movies and television," Henson said. Henson announced his decision to Henson Co. staffers Thursday in a companywide e-mail that also reiterated what he believes are the core values of the company that is home to Kermit the Frog and the rest of the Muppet clan. Last but not least on the list of Muppet maxims was "When in doubt, throw penguins," which Henson cited as an example of the company's commitment to "never take itself too seriously and to always embrace a sense of humor."

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this with us.

If this truly means Brian will be directing and producing more than it is a good move. He does masterful work as a director and really shined in his work with Christmas Carol, Treasure Island, and other projects. He has a great sense of a scene and developing it on screen.

However, this is most likely just another step with company changes in preparation for the upcoming buyout. If that's the case, then it's a whole other story...

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
This is a bit nerve racking! As Phillip said, if this is a move to allow Brian to focus entirely on the creative side (and wasn't that one of the reasons he thought the sale to EMTV would be a good thing?) then it is great. If it is a response to the up coming sale-- and perhaps to information about that sale that is not publically available-- than it might be a very bad thing in deed.

Hopefully, the Muppets will go to a company that will treat them with respect and not try to turn them into kid-only-fare or dumb them down in some other way.

It could be very good for Brian to not be bothered with administrative and management concerns-- to be able to put all his energies into directing and producing (and he better intend to keep doing Sal and Dr. Phil!).

Guess we'll have to wait and see how it falls out.

Should we prepare ourselves for more exits? If a company that is not known for creative integrity and respect for the characters and employees it aquires gets the Muppets, will any of the talent walk?

Bean Bunny

Reaction score
Any guesses?

Any guesses who is getting close to get the Muppets?

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah it's also very vague as to whether he will stay with the Henson company in any capacity for the long run - obviously you don't have to be with them to direct TV and Movies.

Although i don't believe in penguins being thrown gratuitously for the purpose of company resignations - it was a virtual penguin toss - so i shall let him off this time ! ;-)

statnwaldorf

Reaction score
To be quite honest, as far as I can tell, Brian Henson isn't considered to be a master director out in Hollywood. Jack and the Beanstalk did very poorly and much of that was put down to the director, so take this press release as you will. Would you want to be at the helm of yet another takeover?

This isn't a major surprise, Cheryl already all but left the company and the Henson Foundation has recently moved out of the offices in NY completely. Times are changing and the thought of the company being "family" run just isn't the case anymore. Though expected or not its still a great shame that there isn't a "Henson" in a top position......even Disney still have Roy Jnr.

Michael.

muppet_fan_1

Reaction score
Not to offend Brian or anythign because he has done some pretty great stuff, but I want to know a better reason than "persuing his directing career" for leaving the Muppets. Who would leave THEM?

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
So Brian (and Cheryl) are no longer officially with the Company and the Henson Foundation? Will he still direct/produce and more importantly, perform characters for Henson?

Now I have something to write for my research paper. If Henson gets sold next week, it would help me out A LOT. :smile: