1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Henson Exits Muppet House Post

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Sweetums74, May 31, 2002.

1. Sweetums74

Sweetums74 New Member

Henson Exits Muppet House Post

(Hollywood Reporter) -- Brian Henson is ready to throw a few penguins. Henson is stepping down from his post as chairman of the Jim Henson Co. after nearly 12 years as the head of the company founded in 1955 by his late father, Jim Henson. On Thursday, Brian Henson said he has been thinking about stepping away from the management responsibilities at the company ever since it was acquired two years ago by the German media concern EM.TV & Merchandising. "Since then, it's just been more and more clear to me that I want to focus 100% of my efforts on directing and producing movies and television," Henson said. Henson announced his decision to Henson Co. staffers Thursday in a companywide e-mail that also reiterated what he believes are the core values of the company that is home to Kermit the Frog and the rest of the Muppet clan. Last but not least on the list of Muppet maxims was "When in doubt, throw penguins," which Henson cited as an example of the company's commitment to "never take itself too seriously and to always embrace a sense of humor."
  2. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for sharing this with us.

If this truly means Brian will be directing and producing more than it is a good move. He does masterful work as a director and really shined in his work with Christmas Carol, Treasure Island, and other projects. He has a great sense of a scene and developing it on screen.

However, this is most likely just another step with company changes in preparation for the upcoming buyout. If that's the case, then it's a whole other story...
  3. MuppetQuilter

MuppetQuilter Member

This is a bit nerve racking! As Phillip said, if this is a move to allow Brian to focus entirely on the creative side (and wasn't that one of the reasons he thought the sale to EMTV would be a good thing?) then it is great. If it is a response to the up coming sale-- and perhaps to information about that sale that is not publically available-- than it might be a very bad thing in deed.

Hopefully, the Muppets will go to a company that will treat them with respect and not try to turn them into kid-only-fare or dumb them down in some other way.

It could be very good for Brian to not be bothered with administrative and management concerns-- to be able to put all his energies into directing and producing (and he better intend to keep doing Sal and Dr. Phil!).

Guess we'll have to wait and see how it falls out.

Should we prepare ourselves for more exits? If a company that is not known for creative integrity and respect for the characters and employees it aquires gets the Muppets, will any of the talent walk?
  4. Bean Bunny

Bean Bunny New Member

Any guesses?

Any guesses who is getting close to get the Muppets?
  5. Luke

Luke Active Member

Yeah it's also very vague as to whether he will stay with the Henson company in any capacity for the long run - obviously you don't have to be with them to direct TV and Movies.

Although i don't believe in penguins being thrown gratuitously for the purpose of company resignations - it was a virtual penguin toss - so i shall let him off this time ! ;-)
  6. silverbolt101

silverbolt101 New Member

good riddance
  7. statnwaldorf

statnwaldorf New Member

To be quite honest, as far as I can tell, Brian Henson isn't considered to be a master director out in Hollywood. Jack and the Beanstalk did very poorly and much of that was put down to the director, so take this press release as you will. Would you want to be at the helm of yet another takeover?

This isn't a major surprise, Cheryl already all but left the company and the Henson Foundation has recently moved out of the offices in NY completely. Times are changing and the thought of the company being "family" run just isn't the case anymore. Though expected or not its still a great shame that there isn't a "Henson" in a top position......even Disney still have Roy Jnr.

Michael.
  8. muppet_fan_1

muppet_fan_1 Member

Not to offend Brian or anythign because he has done some pretty great stuff, but I want to know a better reason than "persuing his directing career" for leaving the Muppets. Who would leave THEM?
  9. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

So Brian (and Cheryl) are no longer officially with the Company and the Henson Foundation? Will he still direct/produce and more importantly, perform characters for Henson?

Now I have something to write for my research paper. If Henson gets sold next week, it would help me out A LOT. :)
  10. Dr. Bombay

Dr. Bombay Member

Any idea of who would be taking his place?
  11. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

No replacement has been named which likely means Rivkin takes over Brian's duties for the time being since there isn't a board of directors at Henson.
  12. EmmyMik

EmmyMik New Member

If anyone can summarize this news in 15 words or less, I will give you a pretend sticker.

(I just don't have the attention span to do it myself)
  13. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

There's no board of directors? Ahhh, the EM.TV sale right?

Hurry EM.TV, research paper, one week.
  14. FER SURE

FER SURE New Member

Emmy

Brian Henson is leaving his current position at Henson to pursue more artistic endeavours!

I did it in 14!!!!!!

Where is my sticker?
  15. Crazy Harry

Crazy Harry New Member

Brian is chairman no more, do more performing.

That's eight words. It's incredably stupid, but less than 15 words.
  16. Luke

Luke Active Member

Brian Henson Leaving To Toss Penguins ! (There ya go Emmy)

Theres another version of this press release that also mentions that there has only been one bid for the Henson company and that has come from Rivkin (and a mystery backer) and the price may come down to 150 million. The full thing is over at www.toughpigs.com

I'm not sure how accurate the information in that press release is though, as it seems wierd that with the company going that cheap, why would Disney or Warners not be interested - it's wierd !

As for Brian - no great loss - he didn't run the company very well when he was in charge, and he can't get any directing jobs outside Henson. He was in power simply because he was the bosses son and that doesn't give you a ticket to success. It seems like he has very little to do now with the Henson company - just Farscape and two projects being pitched.

We were talking about this over in Toughpigs chat last night and there were hints that Brian may have resigned as a result of the upcoming sale. Chairmans are usually replaced once a parent company takes over anyway and it looks like Brian was given a chance to get out early and with dignity intact.

I guess people will be quite supportive of the Rivkin buyout but their main reason was that the company would stay a family one - but now we are sans any Hensons. I think they've got serious problems - i hope this isnt terminal !
  17. Muppets1985

Muppets1985 Member

What does this mean? (scared :p )

**It's understood that the Henson Co. has drawn interest from the Walt Disney Co. -- which acquired Henson 12 years ago but then scrapped the deal after a long legal battle -- and AOL Time Warner, among others, but so far none has been willing to meet EM.TV's asking price of about $200 million.**
  18. EmmyMik

EmmyMik New Member

FER SURE, Crazy Harry, and Luke

You all get pretend stickers.

Your choices are:

A strawberry scratch and sniff sticker that has been scratched but not sniffed.

A glittery heart sticker.

A dolphin sticker.

An alien sticker.

A Chiquita Banana sticker.

A sticker with a picture of a cartoon cow on it.

(sorry Luke, no penguin stickers)
  19. Zack the Dog

Zack the Dog Active Member

Emmy

Emmy, I just have to ask...Can I have the cartoon cow one?...

I collect them....

Zack)Rowlf the,does the Chiquita Banana sticker smell like a banana?Dog.
  20. EmmyMik

EmmyMik New Member

Re: Emmy

Well, you didn't summarize the news for me, but since I like you, you can have the pretend cartoon cow sticker (actually, I have a bunch or real cartoon cow stickers, but they're under my bed somewhere)...

And the Chiquita Banana sticker smells like the banana peel...

:)