Henson sells Muppets to Disney

What do you think of Disney buying the Muppets and Bear?

• It's great! Disney can keep the Muppets alive and visible.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • It's awful! The Muppets will go downhill and quality will suffer.

Votes: 87 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

muppet_dk

Reaction score
I've got mixed feelings about this. On one side I think this is the right thing to do, but on the other this could be the worst thing that have happend so far.

And Beau I think you could be right about those titles, I certainly hope it's not the case but with the sequrel fever that Disney have thn anything could happend

muppet_dk

Reaction score
jediX said:
Enough.

I fear for the future of my beloved Muppets. I even fear for the future of Muppet Central. Case and point, http://snopes.com/disney/wdco/daycare.htm . If they'll do that to day care centers, I don't even want to know the wrath that might spawn forth regarding Muppet sites. Good luck, Phil.
You are right this could be a problem Disney are known to do anything to protect their rights.

In Denmark we got a childrens book called "Gummi Tarzan" (Rubber Tarzan) it's a very popular book, I think it's from the early 80's. It's been made into a movie and a musical. I think it was last year that Disney showed it's ugly face and demaned that Tarzan was removed from the title. And beacause of the fear of a trial the name has now been removed.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
I can understand the concern, but do remember there are DISNEY fan sites too.

Getting back to the deal, it also includes "the Muppet film and television library." Now obviously TMS, MT, TMM, GMC, and others would be involved in that category. But how about shows like JHH, or "Tale of the Bunny Picnic" (starring Bean of course), and others? The term "Muppet" ain't TOO specific within The Jim Henson Company...who I guess can't use the Kermit head as a logo anymore.

Hmm, and Henson.com and the Muppet items at the Chaplin lot (Kermit statue)? How will this affect things like that?

So many questions.

Luke

Reaction score
beaker said:
FOLKS! Yer forgetting the good news! JHC can now afford that water cooler!
News just in :-

Henson sell "Water Cooler" to Pixar. They will however be keeping ownership of the cups, and will act as consultants to Pixar advising them how to change the water tanks.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Luke said:

Henson sell "Water Cooler" to Pixar. They will however be keeping ownership of the cups, and will act as consultants to Pixar advising them how to change the water tanks.
Will the bad news ever end? What is the point in owning Cups if not The Water Cooler?

beaker

Reaction score
Luke said:

Um actually I just got an AP wire from Rueters...turns out JHC is selling the water in the water cooler to Pixar, and the cups...but retaining the rights to the really small cups.

Don't ya all just love analogies?
JHC, thanks for being retarded...but I support ya on your decision!
Even if it is to der fuher maus!

Pigpen

Reaction score
The beginning of the end...

Talk about waking up to bad news!

I've been reading the forums and comings and goings on this site for years and never felt the need to reply to any of the postings. Today I have broken my silence. :wink:

Dont get me wrong I respect what Disney has done for animation but this company is bad, bad, bad news for the Muppets. They are now simply a money grabbing, sell out corporate company who will stop at nothing to snatch the last doller from your wallets - AT THE COST OF THEIR REPUTATION AND MORE DISTURBINGLY THEIR BELOVED MOVIES!!!!

The horribly animated and cheap 'Sequels' to Disney classics is just the beginning now they have the Muppets at their disposal.

I really hope this is just a sick joke.

I can't believe the Muppets have gone. RIP
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Luke

Reaction score
beaker said:
Um actually I just got an AP wire from Rueters...turns out JHC is selling the water in the water cooler to Pixar, and the cups...but retaining the rights to the really small cups.
Oh Jeez, THEY SOLD THE LARGE CUPS? OMG - We've had those since 1955. Is nothing sacred ?

This just in from the home office in looneyland :-

Jim Hill has written his first article on this, actually it isn't all that bad. Except he claims he predicted two weeks ago that Eisner had dramatically turned to Henson asking for a deal as soon as all the Comcast trouble started, apart from the fact more solid sources have already stated that the Henson Kids and Disney have been in secret discussions for six months over this ever since they took back control of the company. He also has a quote from an "Imagineer" made to sound like a new email/call between him and them talking about all the possible ride ideas they can dust off. Except this is the exact same quote i remember him using when he was talking about the "Superstar Limo" ride last year, except with a more personalised ending to it to make him sound more connected.

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/articles/02182004.2.htm