1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

henson shuts down the new york muppet workshop

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by silverbolt101, Jun 30, 2002.

1. silverbolt101 New Member

according to very reliable inside sources. the Jim Henson Company, and its evil Step parent company E.M.T.V., have decide to shut down the new york work shop,Apparently they feel that it is not nessary to keep the people who have been building and maintaining all of the muppet charecters both new and classic, since the days of the muppet show.

once again "brilliant" corporate thinking is killing the muppets.
  2. radionate New Member

Not to sound skeptical, but what are these "very reliable inside sources"?
  3. rickly New Member

It is not entirely accurate to say they are closing the Muppet workshop. They are moving out of the building they have occupied for something like 20 years, and relocating the workshop to the basement of the Henson offices a couple blocks away. It IS accurate to say that they are downsizing the workshop, and are sacking most of the full-time staff, some of whom have been with the company upwards of 30 years.
  4. Zack the Dog Active Member

More magical info! i love it! i just wish i knew where it came from, anyone know?

Zack)Rowlf the, that's to bad if it's ture,Dog.
  5. scarecroe Active Member

Everybody has a source these days. Where can I get one?
  6. BlueFrackle Active Member

Guys,

I also hear that 'downsizing' includes Ed Christie and Polly Smith.

Now excuse me for sounding rude.

But what the heck is a Muppet without someone like Ed Christie and Polly Smith ?

Who ever is in charge of fireing and hiring is an idiot, And when i say this i honestly mean it.

You dont see me get mad that often, But something like this really bites me !
  7. Luke Active Member

Yeah this news bites wind, there are so many cool people losing their jobs. Hopefully this isn't going to spread to the Creature Shop in London though cos they seem to get tons of work coming their way.

Sad fact is, Henson have less and less money right now and this is the reason why a sale back to Rivkins management team is the worst idea possible, this would just continue. They need a large company like Disney or Time Warner to buy them and give them the resources they need.

Saying that, good job it's a downsizing and not a complete closure !
  8. skankin-frackle New Member

its interesting , i come here a lot to read the different topics and see what the fans are talking about and people are normally pretty vocal about things that upset them, like the lack of a pepe plush toy,, or the edited version of muppet faimily christmas, and here someone post a topic that i know has made me and my co workers upset and we get a couple of lack luster replys , except for BlueFrackle who really seems to understand the implications of this latest corporate blunder.

i guess creating and building muppets and keeeping the quality as high as its been for the past 30 years doesnt matter .

i realize some of you would like to have more info, and since i dont know who silverbolt is i cant say were he got his .but i can confirm that things are not as they should be in the henson company.

anyway thats how i feel.:(
  9. Michael New Member

The company has made redundant all but 3 of the workshop staff. For those that have been there a while I don't think it has come as a complete surprise there has been a feeling of this for quite a while. Nevertheless it is fairly sudden.

I don't think you really need to look at EMTV directly, though a little foresight in what they sold off could have probably prevented this. Sesame Street is a very big contract.

The 3 staff I belive will be returning too the original area of the workshop the basement of the Townhouse this is currently licensing and I imagine it will be shared or certainly downgraded.

It is a real shame, not just because walking through the four floors of the Muppet Workshop was magical.

Michael.

*who wonders why he can't log in as statnwaldorf?*

www.kermitage.com
  10. radionate New Member

I think what everyone is waiting on is some sort of confirmation that all this is true. Personally, I know there are a lot of people that come on sites and make up stuff just to get people roiled up over something. Had the original post come from a member who is more visable on the site, we all would have taken it a lot more seriously.

I've been watching this thread like crazy, waiting for some offical word. The minute I saw you sign up as a member, I knew you would be posting to this thread.

Of course everyone is upset. I don't think a lot of people were able to be on the board over the weekend (they have outside lives), and therefore will only be discovering this thread today, and then the frenzy will begin.

But first things first, what is fact and what is fiction? That's what I need to know before I go flying off the handle. Am I upset if its true. Rivkin and the germans need their heads examined if they have indeed made this decision. But I'd like some clearer facts than just comments from "reliable sources".
  11. Phillip Administrator

Sorry you are having trouble loging in. Exactly what kind of error message are you getting? You may want to reset your password or have it sent to your e-mail address.

If you still have difficultly, let us know and we'll try to get it working for you.
  12. BlueFrackle Active Member

Nate,

This isnt very new news.

Ive known for quite a while, Maybe even months.

Skankin-Frackle I feel as sad as you, Its kinda like goodbye to something that was such a big part of the 'Henson Magic'.

See ya
  13. towels New Member

feedback

I think you'll find a lot more discussion of the figures because of the level of involvement Ken and Mike have allowed. We feel like we we can affect these things, and they even asked for our feedback regarding Pepe.

As far as the DVDs, there have been many such online petition/feedback options used with retailers. Unfortunately I don't think many of us have had much success trying to get people un-fired. Does it suck? Yes. Is it sending the wrong message about the company? Yes. Can we do anything about it? No. That, in addition to the "unofficial" nature of this news, is helping keep down the furor. Now if you are organizing a flight over to Germany to storm the EmTV offices... :)
  14. radionate New Member

Re: Nate,

Has an official word come from Henson though? Why hasn't it been talked about on here before if folks knew?
  15. BlueFrackle Active Member

Skankin-Frackle

Hey Skankin-Frackle,

Can you email me please ? BlueFrackle@BlueYonder.co.uk

I sent an email to Luke by accident, It was ment for you.

Thanks
  16. BlueFrackle Active Member

Nate

No Official Word has come from Henson, I think only a few people know or knew.

I couldnt say anything untill someone else did...

See ya
  17. beaker Well-Known Member

luke, dr. tooth:

>>>They need a large company like Disney or Time Warner to buy them and give them the resources they need<<<

With this, and other instabilities (Brian Henson's sudden leave of post as head JHC guy) are any of even the most stanchest anti Disney/Warner/Viacom/etc buyout people on here thinking twice?
    I know back in December a lot of us wanted a Heroic Rivkin buyback, but now...oh man.

Well, you cant credit the new Muppet tv/radio renniasaince
    to em.tv, but suffice to say theyve been sinking for awhile, and unfortunately the Muppet boat is still chained to them. (heck, its because of emtv Sesame is now all Sesame workshop)
  18. Luke Active Member

If it helps anyone who is still doubting this - i think with two heavyweights such as BlueFrackle and Michael confirming this there is certainly no doubt in my mind.

Henson don't really need to put out a statement if they haven't been asked by anyone so i'm sure any webmasters could email them in the press office and get a confirmation. I don't particularly put the whole blame on 'Evil' EMTV though, it is upto the Henson Company to seek out work, and make the company sucessful enough to sustain and pay for a workshop. I know Henson had many financial troubles before the EMTV sale so i guess this could have been a long time coming but i guess EMTV probably had something to do with it though it is more that they are cash strapped than being 'evil' or 'idiots' . What can ya do though - the Henson kids signed the sale contract right ?

I know it's not much help or consolation, but lets just hope these talented people all find jobs elsewhere VERY soon.
  19. MuppetQuilter Member

No one at the Workshop should take the lack of relpy here as an indication that we don't care about them and the amazing work they have done for so many years.

I think many of us needed confirmation that this news was indeed true. Personally, while I can't say I'm surprised that Henson is firing people (or laying people off, or scaling back or whatever you want to call it) I am a bit in shock over this particular move.

It seems pretty clear there needs to be an influx of cash into JHC quickly. It also seems clear that most of us (those without 'inside' sources) don't really know what is going on or how the decisions have been made. Given the financial situation with emtv, I've been expecting JHC to take a major hit and the fastest way to cut costs is to cut employees. Sad but true. Still, I have to question starting with these employees. I hope something positive happens-- soon-- that gets the company back on track financially and creatively.

To the incredible people who have spent so many years creating magic in the workshop-- thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Your work has, is, and will continue to be appreciated, respected, and loved. :D Let's hope this is a temporary situation.
  20. radionate New Member

Well said, I couldn't agree more!!!