Henson's Early Works on DVD!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Don't forget about the "Yellow Rose Of Texas" sketch from the Steve Allen Show from 1957!
I've never even heard of that sketch. What do you know about this sketch (by that I mean what information do you know, in case that came off as sounding like an insult)?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Yesterday, it was announced that the first two american DVD releases of Play with Me Sesame later this year, and today it's been announced that a DVD release of Henson's early work is being planned. At this rate I hope that we hear news of another great Henson-related DVD release (like The Muppet Show: Season Three, or a television special).

ploobis

Reaction score
I've never even heard of that sketch. What do you know about this sketch (by that I mean what information do you know, in case that came off as sounding like an insult)?
When I was at the Jane & Friends event at the University of Maryland on 09/22/06 Craig Shemin showed us a bunch of rare Henson goodies and one of them happend to be an appearance from the Steve Allen show where Kermit lip-syncs to Stan Fregerg's version of The Yellow Rose Of Texas.

Reaction score
I'd be bouncing off the walls if I wasn't at work. Very exciting release to look forward to. :smile:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Wow! This is about the best news I think I've heard in a long time. I think I'm more excited over this than when TMS Season 2 was announced (for the actual release). I always thought Jim's early work would make an incredible DVD!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder what video company is going to release this. I'd be surprised if The Jim Hneson Company distributed the set on it's own, as all previous Jim Henson video labels have been distributed by other companies. I hope that this set isn't only available by mail (I don't order things, but if it's released around jy birthday or christmas maybe I could be brave enough to put it on a list, like I did when the Sweetums action figure and series 9 were released).

Somehow I don't think Hit! will be releasing this. Hit! has the DVD rights to Henson family entertainment, and I guess Henson's early works could qualify but most pre-Sesame Street works from Hensona re owned by outside companies, and very few Hit! releases (outside of Emmet Otter and the Fraggle Rock season sets) are aimed at collectors rather than kids. I think this would be more for collectors.

Columbia-Tri-Star Hme Video does still have the DVD rights to some Henson productions (Labrynth, The Dark Crystal, and The StoryTeller). So maybe Columbia will release it.

It would be great if Disney DVD releases this, because then it wouldn't be too difficult to include clips featuring Kermit, Rowlf, and other Disney-owned characters. I've heard that Disney does own the rights to Tales of the Tinkerdee and Land of Tinkerdee. If that's true, then I guess those would be included. And maybe the unreleased Jim Henson Retrospective would finally be released on this set.

It would be great if this set had some sort of featurette on Jim Henson's unproduced works, maybe showing design sketches and storyboards for things that Jim Henson planned but didn't get produced. Maybe there could be a photo gallery with such storyboards and scripts.

I know that Jim Henson pre-recorded a lot of dialogue on Sam and Friends. I wonder if the audio for any unsurviving Sam and Friends episodes still exist. If so, maybe the audio could be released, maybe played over vintage photos of Jim Henson.

I think I've read that something like this was announced a year ago, I think it was at the Jim Henson Statue unveilling. I think I heard that the company was trying to get legal clearances for a TV special and DVD release.

ploobis

Reaction score
I wonder what video company is going to release this. I'd be surprised if The Jim Hneson Company distributed the set on it's own, as all previous Jim Henson video labels have been distributed by other companies. I hope that this set isn't only available by mail (I don't order things, but if it's released around jy birthday or christmas maybe I could be brave enough to put it on a list, like I did when the Sweetums action figure and series 9 were released).

Somehow I don't think Hit! will be releasing this. Hit! has the DVD rights to Henson family entertainment, and I guess Henson's early works could qualify but most pre-Sesame Street works from Hensona re owned by outside companies, and very few Hit! releases (outside of Emmet Otter and the Fraggle Rock season sets) are aimed at collectors rather than kids. I think this would be more for collectors.

Columbia-Tri-Star Hme Video does still have the DVD rights to some Henson productions (Labrynth, The Dark Crystal, and The StoryTeller). So maybe Columbia will release it.

It would be great if Disney DVD releases this, because then it wouldn't be too difficult to include clips featuring Kermit, Rowlf, and other Disney-owned characters. I've heard that Disney does own the rights to Tales of the Tinkerdee and Land of Tinkerdee. If that's true, then I guess those would be included. And maybe the unreleased Jim Henson Retrospective would finally be released on this set.

It would be great if this set had some sort of featurette on Jim Henson's unproduced works, maybe showing design sketches and storyboards for things that Jim Henson planned but didn't get produced. Maybe there could be a photo gallery with such storyboards and scripts.

I know that Jim Henson pre-recorded a lot of dialogue on Sam and Friends. I wonder if the audio for any unsurviving Sam and Friends episodes still exist. If so, maybe the audio could be released, maybe played over vintage photos of Jim Henson.

I think I've read that something like this was announced a year ago, I think it was at the Jim Henson Statue unveilling. I think I heard that the company was trying to get legal clearances for a TV special and DVD release.
I think Craig mentioned that Sony was going to be the DVD company to make it.

I first heard Craig Shemin talk about the DVD happening at the Jane & Friends event at the University of Maryland in 9/22/06.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I first heard Craig Shemin talk about the DVD happening at the Jane & Friends event at the University of Maryland in 9/22/06.
Yeah, I read a thread at the Tough Pigs forum about that event. I just didn't know how to describe it.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder if there will be any specific years represented. My guess is either 1955-1969 or 1955-1970 (I doubt that anythign from 1954 will be included, unless clips from The Junior Good Morning Show do exist). I have a feeling that this set won't include any Sesame Street clips, but it would be great if the company could negotiate a deal with Sesame Workshop to include some of Jim Henson's films and animations. If it's being released by Sony, then it's ironic that just this year Sony Wonder stopped releasing new Sesame Street DVDs.