Henson's Old NY Studio

MagentaHaiku

Reaction score
Hey clan,

I'm heading down to NY for a quick jaunt (to take some workshops not related to puppetry) but I am a passionate puppet maker and the last time I was in the city someone told me that you can still go and peep into the windows of Henson's abandoned studio.

Is there any way I could see the Sesame Street Set in Queens?

Also- Where does one find the ostrich feathers for the hair/eyebrows of the characters you make? I'm working on a puppet character right now and I'd love some ostrich feathers.

Take care,
Kristen

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
is that the one on 227 E 67th st? That would be SO cool, as I am headed that direction meself.

I wouldn't know about the SS studio, but try Kaufman Astoria Studios in Queens.

BJ

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
QOUTED FROM ABOVE POSTS"I'm heading down to NY for a quick jaunt (to take some workshops not related to puppetry) but I am a passionate puppet maker and the last time I was in the city someone told me that you can still go and peep into the windows of Henson's abandoned studio.
Is there any way I could see the Sesame Street Set in Queens? "
"is that the one on 227 E 67th st? That would be SO cool, as I am headed that direction meself.

I wouldn't know about the SS studio, but try Kaufman Astoria Studios in Queens."

first wrong address, second, thier isnt anything to see, its a lobby with a Elevator, as for the Sesame set, dont watse your time, unless you know someone, your arnt going to get in, also they arnt shooting right now, so most of the stuff is packed up so other producions can use the space,

spend your time in NYC doing some fabric shopping hit the garment distrect, or go down to china town, and see if you can find any interesting stuff , or just grap a cofee in the Village

" """Also- Where does one find the ostrich feathers for the hair/eyebrows of the characters you make? I'm working on a puppet character right now and I'd love some ostrich feathers."""""
"""

hit the garment areas, its on the west side, plenty of differnet fabric shops and stufff, but you can order that stuff online too, just do a search for feathers on google

MagentaHaiku

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the suggestions! I haven't had the time to peruse the garment district here in Toronto yet for the ostrich feathers but I will have the time in NY.

The reason I asked about JH's studio was the last time I was in New York this man is like "woah girl! you make puppets?" and said to go look in the window or something- apparently there's a stained glass thing of Kermit.

Something like that! That's what the man said--- in the Starbucks!

oh man! I've been phoning the Sesame Workshop up like mad trying to talk with a producer of Sesame Street and nothing! I just want to have coffee or talk or something! (I'm an aspiring producer of children's television).

Frackle or anyone else: any good puppet events/ shows happening next weekend around NY?

Ta,
Kristen

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
MagentaHaiku said:
I haven't had the time to peruse the garment district here in Toronto yet for the ostrich feathers but I will have the time in NY.
Frackle or anyone else: any good puppet events/ shows happening next weekend around NY?
Just FYI here in Toronto, just take the Spadina Streetcar to Queen West and walk along Queen to Bathurst and stop in all the fabric shops; you'll find most of what you need. Takes about an hour or so to cruise the strip. I highly recommend Leo's Textiles and MacFab (just west of Bathurst). There's not much in NYC that you can't find locally if you know where to look.

As for NYC, check out the Henson Foundation's NYC Puppet Happenings @ http://www.hensonfoundation.org. Have a fun trip!

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
MagentaHaiku said:
any good puppet events/ shows happening next weekend around NY?Kristen

well if you are in town this weekend check out UNCLE JIMMYS DIRTY BASMENT, not for kids ROck And Puppet show, not sure about next weekend

its at P.S. 122 thursday though sunday this weekend

Splat

Reaction score
The Two and Only

You might be interested in taking in ventriloquist Jay Johnson's (of Soap fame) "The Two and Only". It's getting some really good reviews. Check out his webpage at http://www.monkeyjoke.com .

MagentaHaiku

Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for all the hints and tips-

Buck Beaver- do you know where to get the ostrich feathers here in T.O?

I'm taking my puppet down with me, and perhaps we can go shopping together.

Wee!

Kristen