1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Herbert Birdsfoot

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by Don_Music_2004, Feb 10, 2004.

1. GeeBee

GeeBee New Member

I just found this out from the "Muppet Morsels" (the "Pop-Up Video" of the Muppet World) on The Muppet Show DVD first season.

It says,

"Jim Henson's father was an agricultural researcher for the federal government. One of the crops he would research was called Bird's-foot trefoil. This name stuck with Jim and he memorized it in the Sesame Street character Herbert Birdsfoot."
  2. tutter_fan

tutter_fan Well-Known Member

3. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

I wonder if there were any real life inncidents were kids saw this and they go around their neighborhoods knocking at doors and the minute someone answers, they yell OH YEAH? WELL IF THAT'S THE WAY YOU FEEL ABOUT IT YOU COULD JUST KEEP YOUR ROTTEN OLD VACUMM CLEANER SO THERE!
  4. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

I wonder how they ever came up with his last name Birdsfoot?

For years I wonder if I had even heard that right and it wasn't till learning more abour SS past I realized I was right after all.
  5. MuppetDude

MuppetDude Active Member

According to Muppet Wiki (which got it from the TMS season one Muppet Morsels): "His name is a play on the pasture crop "bird's-foot trefoil," which was familiar to Jim Henson because of his father's work for the U.S. Department of Agriculture."
  6. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

Herbert was on SS long before TMS.
  7. Mokeystar

Mokeystar Member

There's an old clip on the Sesame Workshop website with Herb trying to explain how a W is an upside down M. The letter keeps turning upside down, changing from a W to an M until it finally refuses to turn again and stays as a W. So to prove his point once again, the camera turns the stage upside down which shows the reluctant W as an M. I loved those "upside down" clips. :) And Herbie did such a wonderful job at being patient!
  8. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

I saw Herbert's W/M clip myself as a girl, but the letter still got the better of him after the camera turned the view upside-down: once more, M became W as typical "frustrated character" music ended the sketch.
  9. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

Think all along the M was intentionally turning upside down and rightside up for spite and then realizing how Herb was making good use of this action, the M stopped which lead to HB's desision to turn upside down.
  10. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

Recently thought of this.

Wonder if HB was supposed to resemble a teacher considering how he was dressed?

Most muppets who hand propper names weren't generally dressed in suits and ties and the only another one I can think of was Professor Hastings,
  11. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

The fact that Herbert only appeared in "lecture" Muppet sketches (and had other characters demonstrate his visual aids most of the time) also makes me think of him as a teacher. Good point!