Here Comes Puppets Who Kill

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
"Puppets Who Kill" is a new half-hour series airing on the comedy network in Canada. Created by Steve Western and puppeteer John Pattison it's another of those wacked-out "anti-Muppet" shows.

A little different than "Crank Yankers" (also premiering this Fall on the Comedy Network in Canada) "Puppets Who Kill" looks to have a little less gross-out humour but tons of edge.

The buzz on the show is very, very good here and among the folks who have given it a ringing endorsement is Jerry Juhl who worked with members of the production team on a variety of Muppet projects.

Here's the latest press release from The Comedy Network Website:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
‘PUPPETS WHO KILL’ ON PAROLE OCTOBER 11 ON THE COMEDY NETWORK

“PUPPETS WHO KILL is very funny and very cool. Put the kids to bed and watch this show.” - Jerry Juhl, Head Writer

A release date has been set for four criminal puppets who lie, cheat and steal with the worst of them. Buttons, Bill, Cuddles and Rocko are on parole and on TV in the series premiere of PUPPETS WHO KILL, debuting Friday, October 11 at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT, exclusively on The Comedy Network. The 13-episode, half-hour original production will air immediately following SOUTH PARK and THE SIMPSONS.

PUPPETS WHO KILL stars Dan Redican (THE FRANTICS) as a naïve and hapless social worker responsible for rehabilitating four puppets gone bad. From sex scandals to endless brushes with the law, Buttons, Bill, Cuddles and Rocko endure continual therapy as they wait for that glorious day when they can be reintegrated into society. Guest stars in the series include Dave Broadfoot, Eric Peterson, George Buza, Soo Garay, Brooke Johnson, Paul O’Sullivan, Kim Huffman, Maggie Huculak, Rick Roberts and David Huband.

“The concept is brilliant, the writing is very sharp and the show is really funny,” says Jerry Juhl, head writer of THE MUPPET SHOW. But PUPPETS WHO KILL is about as far from the Muppets as you can get…

It’s “a twisted kiddie show for adults,” says The Toronto Star, “[and] poised to do for puppets, dolls and toys what SOUTH PARK did for cartoons...”

Indeed, they look lovely, but act lewdly. There’s Bill (puppeteered by Gord Robertson), a calm, controlled and creepy ventriloquist’s dummy who has had 58 ventriloquist partners die in unlikely “accidents.” There’s Rocko (puppeteered by Bruce Hunter), a tough-looking, chain-smoking dog with some serious anger issues. There’s Buttons (puppeteered by Jim Rankin), a fuzzy, adorable little bear puppet who is also a highly-sexed and in-demand stud. And there’s Cuddles (puppeteered by Bob Martin), a “comfort” doll designed by psychologists to help people with their problems….except that now he is the problem. All told, they’re conniving, cynical, self-centered and… dangerous.

The felonious foursome get into all manner of misadventures, including: Bill discovers the CBC is archiving the brains of dead Canadian TV stars and tries to put a stop to it by stealing them himself. Rocko starts an enterprising new business selling Dan’s urine through the mail. Dan develops an unhealthy crush on Buttons when the bear uses his charm to con him for basketball tickets. Buttons testifies against a former employer and stands to make $5 million - if he can only avoid having an affair with the head of the jury. Bill gets a lobotomy from a doctor who is the son of a man he killed 40 years earlier. Cuddles is sent to jail for the weekend and ends up running the joint. Dan suspects Bill is stealing testicles at an alarming rate. Rocko hosts a TV telethon for impaled people.

Based on the theatre show of the same name by John Pattison, PUPPETS WHO KILL is written by John Pattison and directed by Shawn Alex Thompson (Hairspray, AN AMERICAN IN CANADA). Executive story editor is Dan Redican.

PUPPETS WHO KILL is produced by John Pattison and Shawn Alex Thompson with the participation of The Comedy Network and Telefilm Canada. Executive producers are John Leitch and Robert Mills.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd encourage everyone to give it a try when it premiers October 11th at 10 pm - if the pilot (which previously aired last year) was any inidcation, this should be a weird, wacky and very funny show.

If you're not in Canada and can't get the Comedy Network check out the Puppet Who Kill website

MuppetDanny

Reaction score
so let me get this right - "PUPPETS WHO KILL" is like "SOUTH PARK" but puppets, right? :confused:

MuppetDanny

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Yeah, the article kind of overplayed the Jerry Juhl connection (I just posted it, I didn't write it!). Actually, if you like the show you should join the mailing list - we did and we got in on a special offer where they sent us free posters from the show for the office. Pretty spiffy, eh?

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
This "puppets killing each other and running around promisculously" talk sickens me...

--"Scary" Larry Wolf

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by scarylarrywolf
This "puppets killing each other and running around promisculously" talk sickens me...
Why ? Actors do it all the time - why shouldn't puppets ? There are different kinds of actors, i don't see why people can't accept different kinds of puppets.

So how did the show do anyway people ? It sounds fab !

Stryder Wolfe

Reaction score
I watch this show..it's pretty funny...not great, but not horribly...MUCH better than crank yankers or greg the bunny, imo...

and yeah, it's on at like 10:00pm or something on friday night...kids should be in bed...

doctort13

Reaction score
I hope that this series is released on DVD, so the rest of us can check it out.
After looking over PTK's web site I have decided that I MUST see this series.

Miss_Beaker

Reaction score
I haven't seen it. I hope it comes to the UK!
Hey, and it's a bloody good original idea for a TV show!