Hey, my first taste as a standup comic!

beaker

Reaction score
So tonight I had my first taste of what its like doing standup comedy in front of a lot of people. I got to go to this premiere of Nicholas Cage's new movie Adaptation(by the Being John Malkovich guy) and the radio station wanted someone to come up on stage to do their best Nicholas Cage impersonation to win a autographed poster. So, being as I had my own little bit, I jumped at the chance.

Now being in front of 150-200 strangers is pretty daunting, even if it was only for a minute. But somehow, as soon as he handed me the mic I was just 'on', it was such a rush. It was very surreal to have the crowd actually laughing after each delivery and clapping at the end. And also being able to adlib with good confidence. Sadly, the radio crew tried to pull one over on me by saying 'oops, I guess its not autographed', and then proceded to sign it with a marker. I then trumped them by saying 'Well, I guess I'll be putting this on ebay' which got a pretty good laugh from the crowd. I dont think they appreciated me trumping their little site gag.

Anyways, I have a lot of '3am/out there/stream of cosciousness' material I think would do pretty well in a stand up act. Im thinking of maybe doing something at the local comedy club one of these days on open mic night.

So yes...Cory...artist, writer, eggroll and croissant connesueir, standup comic autuer:wink:

GWGumby

Reaction score
Congratulations Cory. Coming away from a crowd elated rather than intimidated is an amazing thing, and yes, is quite a rush.

As you are a Muppet lover and artist, I have the feeling we've got an up-and-coming prop comic on our way.

Good luck. Put Carrot Top to shame!

Luke

Reaction score
Congratulations Cory, you Rawked !

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by GWGumby
Congratulations Cory. Coming away from a crowd elated rather than intimidated is an amazing thing, and yes, is quite a rush.

As you are a Muppet lover and artist, I have the feeling we've got an up-and-coming prop comic on our way.

Good luck. Put Carrot Top to shame!
Heh, thanks man. I will say being in front of so many people is daunting, even if were to be just in front of 25 at a comedy club.

As for props...hmmm. Im not sure if I could or would want to fit rubix cubes, cactus, or tumble weeds in my duffle bag. :wink:

Originally posted by Luke
Congratulations Cory, you Rawked !
Thanks! Yeah, Im trying to seize the day this year finally...
baby steps, baby steps! heh

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I hate crowds. However, I always have plenty of food to send the hungry afterwards.

Did I mention I hate tomatoes?

FOZ

(Congrats CORY!!!!!!!!!!)

Thijs

Reaction score
Way to go Cory. The first time for 200 people. Congrats!!!

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by Fozzie Bear
Did I mention I hate tomatoes?
But they are so fun and squashy, would you rather they pelted eggs ? ;-)

beaker

Reaction score
Thanks guys...but really...what I Really hope to do is get an actual maybe 15 minute spot, even if its open mic, at the local comedy club. I just hope their isnt those two old guys in the balcony:wink: