"His or Her", "His", or "Their"?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Whenever people address something that belongs to an unknown, they usually say "somebody forgot their..." or "someone is trying to hide their..." et cetera.

According to my English curiculum, the correct way to say something like that is "his" as in "somebody forgot his..." and "someone is trying to hide his..."

However, in the past, my English books (and other text books) has said the actual way to say it is "his OR her" because of the possibility of that unknown being a man or a woman "somebody forgot his or her..." and "someone is trying to hide his or her..."

As of right now, a lot of people say "their" is as acceptable as "his or her", but some other more literate people say that people say "their" because it's quicker and they are possibly too lazy to actually say "his or her".

In the old days I used to say "his", but since then I've been saying "their" though I have been trying to "convert" to "his or her" since my current English text say it's more correct.

What were you taught about this?

Beakerfan

Reaction score
wow. I'm tired right now, so all this is a little mind boggling. Um, I believe I was taught to say "someone for got his..." if it was unknown whether the subject was male or female. I think the his or her thing could get a little confusing. And frustrating.

MWoO

Reaction score
People say their because it's shorter than his or her while still avoiding the inevitable, "why does it have to be a man?" stuff. Some books actually alternate between his and her in a paragraph, which is really annoying.

Frankly, I say drop the pc stuff and just use his or hes, but stick to one.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I was taught that "His" was a default gender when talking about something unknown, but this was from my elementary teachers who didnt know how to do a simple Order of operation math problem :stick_out_tongue: I just say "their"

MWoO

Reaction score
Well their is gramatically incorect, though i do usei t.

His is usually the default because men were in charge when the anguage came about.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Another one that's interesting it the classic "Can I?" and "May I?" Most people say you only ask "can I" to obtain permission to do something and "may I" when you already have permission but ask to do whatever it is you're doing anyway.

Either way, I always ask "can I?" because you never know if you already have permission or not.

MWoO

Reaction score
No, that's not hat the difference between can and may is.

May is asking for permission. Can is having the ability to do it. In elementary school you can use the bathroom, as in you have the ability to, but you must ask may I if you want permission to go.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Well, I wasn't really taught much of anything on the subject, except for being told once that "his/her" was the thing to say in such an occasion. This, in my oppinion sounds extremely awkward and overly PC. Having little to no patience for overly PC people, I choose to always say "their."

And no, I have never seen the movie. Why do you ask?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Again, what's with all this being "politically correct"?! What does politics have to do with things like that anyway?