1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Hoggle prop restored!!! But...

Discussion in 'Fantasy Worlds' started by Laszlo, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

2. puppetise

puppetise Member

omg hoggle noo the restoration looks a bit off
  3. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

Yes, unfortunately it doesn't look really better than before.
    I guess they paid quite a lot $$$$ for this crappy job. :mad:

Next time they should send it to ME !
  4. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

5. ReneeLouvier

ReneeLouvier Active Member

*eeps at the original pictures* I'm going to have nightmares from those things!!!

...and the end result is not like it was. x_x They really should have sent it to you, Laszlo.
  6. KermieBaby47

KermieBaby47 Well-Known Member

So...that's supposed to be Hoggle when he was a teenager right? Where did his wrinkles and folds go?

Oh well. At least we can still look at Hoggle on film.
  7. lowercasegods

lowercasegods Member

I commend the guy for trying his best. I mean, this had to have been a hard project, and anyone besides Stan Winston, Rick Baker or The Creature Shop employees would be hard pressed to do a much better job than this, I'd imagine. But I feel like they were better off to have left Hoggle in his original, decaying form. He may have been beaten up, but he was original, vintage, if you will. This rebuild may as well be a completely new creation with no ties to the Henson Company at all. It's lost all its authenticity in my view. But like I said, I give the guy props for taking on the task.
  8. DTWolf

DTWolf Member

I'm extremely glad the Unclaimed Baggage people sent this off to be restored instead of letting it rot hideously in a display case. And it does look better than it did, and will presumably last a lot longer now.

That said, the new skin lacks the detailed texture and complex tones of the original. I can see he made an effort to make the skin more than just a simple, flat mannikin color, but compared to the original it's still, well, artificial-looking.
  9. crazed gonzo fa

crazed gonzo fa Active Member

Excuse me while I weep bitterly. Oh well, does look better than him rotting. Did anyone else noticed that the unrestored version looked like he had a sad face?
  10. Krazedmuppet

Krazedmuppet Active Member

eh- latex dies eventualy- so will this

Maybe it was LACK of funding
  11. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

IMO they could have done a MUCH better Hoggle. I mean, all the details are lost as it is now. Winston, Baker etc. are Masters at making excellent wrinkles and skin textures. Unfortunatley this guy is only good at making flat, untextures skins, which may be fine for the usual dolls, but not for Hoggle.
  12. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

Exactly my opinion.
  13. edible eye

edible eye New Member

I don't understand why he didn't make a mold of what was there, then restore the missing parts with clay, then recast it. This cloth thing is a terrible, insulting attempt.
  14. monster maker

monster maker New Member

Its crap plain and simple, there are members on here who could have done better, its been destroyed now in my eyes, thats not hoggle.
    Something like this prop should have been handled by an expert,and restored to its original glory.
  15. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

You're right. Too bad he's destroyed now :mad:
  16. monster maker

monster maker New Member

I mailed him about it, and he said the restore could be reversed at any time, but he has ditched the skins so any restoration would be pointless, unless the head and hand moulds turn up, which i don't think is going to happen.
  17. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

Thanks for clearing this! You're right, without the original forms it won't make much sense to rebuild him, unless someone has access to THE BEST reference materials from the Henson archives PLUS is an absolute PRO-Sculptor!
    Anyway, I heard the moulds still exist! But it seems the Henson people didn't care for such small projects.
  18. edible eye

edible eye New Member

OMG! How could he just ditch the skins! I hope the molds do still exist, that way he's not really *dead*
  19. Infinity Sirius

Infinity Sirius New Member

*sighs* Well there goes my dream of ever buying Hoggle off if Unclaimed Baggage and having an expert restore him. But when I saw the "restortation" I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the new look isn't that great. What it looks like now is a fan creation of Hoggle.

If the cloth skin can be removed than maybe one day I can buy the Hoggle and really do a restoration. If the Hesnon company still has the molds, maybe all that needs to be done is persuasion and persistence and money. Call whoever maintains the archives, write letters, and be willing to pay for the molds.
  20. Punch'n'Judy

Punch'n'Judy New Member

Moulds are incredibly valuable. I'm almost certain that they will still exist...somewhere! They certainly are items that wouldn't be destroyed on purpose. Accidents can happen though...