1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Homemade Grover at eBay

Discussion in 'Puppets For Sale' started by zoetrope, Apr 18, 2004.

1. zoetrope

zoetrope New Member

2. Whatever

Whatever Active Member

Not bad, but could be better. Still, it's breaking the copyright laws.
  3. zoetrope

zoetrope New Member

Yeah, I think he's trying to get around that by saying "for at home use only" but it is a copyright violation. Still, a pretty good Grover.
  4. Whatever

Whatever Active Member

In the 2nd pic, where Grover has a hand to his head, he doesn't look as good to me.
  5. zoetrope

zoetrope New Member

Yeah, but that's a nice shirt the puppeteer is wearing. ;)
    I'd say given that it's not full body and given that it's a so so likeness (and given that it's illegal), $75 reserve might be a little optimistic.
  6. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Active Member

I love how they list it as "Pro" and then say "He is homemade for at home use only. But that is up for you to follow. Arm rod is not included."

They won't include the arm rod? How cheap can you be? It appears to be just a bent coathanger. :confused:

Someone should start a hall of fame for these!
  7. Ryan

Ryan New Member

I use wire coat hangers, and they work very well.
  8. Buck-Beaver

No, no, no!! I wasn't saying that the wire coat hanger was cheap (I do that too). Should have explained better.

I meant that it was pretty cheap they weren't including the arm rod. Just struck me as kinda odd.
  9. ScrapsFlippy

ScrapsFlippy Member

Definately not the worst replica I've seen.

It's just too bad he doesn't use his powers for good, rather than evil. ;)

-SF
  10. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

I think the idea behind excluding the arm rod would be because he advertised it as being used to entertain children. If you hand a young child a puppet with an arm rod that could quite easily gouge out one's eye... yeah, that might not be so very good.

Go play with a knife or something, kid.

Oh, and, I have used coat hangers too. hehe. They work pretty good.
  11. It looks like a good attempt at Grover. Does anyone know how long this guy's been making puppets?

I used to use coatwire all the time, until I fell in love with welding rods. Coat wire always chipped more for me in my experience. Do you guys paint it or something? Does that work better?
  12. rtgentry

rtgentry Member

Okay guys I will throw the cheap hanger in for free.... :)
  13. Buck-Beaver

That's a very good point. I hadn't thought of that. I wasn't trying to be mean about the rod, it just struck me as a funny statement "Does not include arm rod." Like an arm rod was an option like you'd have for a car.

*Buck resolves to stop mocking ebay auctions* :zany:
  14. Tztz

Tztz Member

it is cute and everything, but i dont think it is pro :sympathy:
  15. zoetrope

zoetrope New Member

I think that's the real problem I have with it. If you say pro, your work better look pro, because that's the standard you've set. For someone at home goofing with puppets, it's very good. For "pro", it's so so.

By the way, I emailed him to see if he has any original puppets for sale. He said he had originals but was waiting to see how this sale went before listing the others.
  16. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

... uh-huh. Suuuuuuuuuuure!
  17. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

I've seen worse. Still, the original commercially made puppet that's that same size wasn't $75. He's cheating himself by starting the bids at so high a price.
  18. DPuppets

DPuppets Member

I must agree with Buck here. I don't post alot on here but it seems that we are so easy to judge someones puppet they have built Muppet or just their on style. It sure seemed to me just a week or so ago when the other Muppet stuff came up everyone seemed to bash and yet then it all seem to turn around when he came on to the board. I agree in constructive remarks but...when that person is not on the board then they are not too constructive in my opinion. I see alot of people on this board that post pics of their puppets and we give some great comments and yet others who we find on ebay and other places who are not member we mock and things. Just my two cents worth. Even if you agree or disagree with selling your creation of a muppet on Ebay...no need to bash and talk about how bad it is. I think it would be helpful if someone would email that person and let them know about the board and give them some comment to help improve their work.
  19. zoetrope

zoetrope New Member

I didn't think anyone was bashing in this thread, and that certainly wasn't my intention. I hope no one took it that way. I do think if someone says their puppet is "pro" they are setting themselves up for criticism, and selling (illegal) Muppet copies on Ebay is probably not the best idea, but it's a better Grover than I could make.

You can learn a lot by copying the work of those you admire, most artists learn this way. But I'd rather see this guy's original stuff, which is why I emailed him.
  20. DPuppets

DPuppets Member

Maybe bash is not the best word but...still if we can't say anything good to help that person build a better then why say anything at all. And whats makes a person a pro or even a professional. If you guide it by the primary puppets that are under pro puppets it is just as good...look at professional puppets under ebay. I just don't feel that it is good criticism when we say it on here and not to that person. I commend you that you did email him your thoughts...which I think is what needs to be done.