Hooper's Store Slogan contest

Xerus

Reaction score
Does anyone remember this SS story from the early 80's?

David wanted Hooper's Store to have a slogan or catchy phrase to get more customers. So he started up a catchy phrase contest. Everyone would write down their ideas for a slogan and the winner will get a free lunch.

Everyone started submitting their slogan ideas on paper and putting it in a box. One kid wrote, "If it's super duper, it's Hooper's." Another person wrote, "Hooper's isn't just for breakfast anymore." Maria wrote, "Like Hooper's for the heck of it." And a purple anything Muppet with a bald head and brown mustache came up with something right away, "Hooper's Store. A place where people meet and greet and eat and buy car wax."

Telly had an idea, but he worried it wouldn't work. "Hooper's store has everything from A to Z." But Telly couldn't find anything in the store that starts with L, Q, or Z. But David told Telly he sells Lunch, has Quarts of Milk, and he searched the store until he found a Zipper. Telly became happy and submitted his answer.

Later, Don Music pushed his piano into the Fix-It Shop and told Maria he wrote a jingle about the Fix-It Shop. He sung it along with Little Chrissy and the Alphabeats. Maria tried to tell Don that it was Hooper's Store that was holding the contest and Don became discouraged. But Maria tried to help Don fix the song and lyrics so it would be about Hooper's Store.

Then Oscar submitted a grouchy poem about Hooper's which kind of insulted David.

Now it was time to pick a winner. David chose Forgetful Jones to be the judge. Forgetful went into the back to read all the slogans and a few minutes later, he made his decision. But he forgot how to be a judge and started shouting out all the slogans in the box and everyone cheered for they thought theirs had won while a panicked David tried to stop Forgetful. So Hooper's Store now had a bunch of new slogans and David was forced to give everyone free lunches.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That sounds like the backbone that served as a remake story YEARS later during Season 31 (or 32, I can't quite remember)... where Telly casually mentions "Hooper's Store: where you can have what you want, just the way you want it."

Alan is keen on the saying, and decides to make it the store's new slogan... and soon, Telly takes the new slogan far too seriously, and begins making all these crazy little demands so he can have what he wants with his lunch JUST the way he wants it. Finally, Alan takes down the new slogan, and tells Telly he made a mistake when he made it the slogan.

Xerus

Reaction score
That sounds like the backbone that served as a remake story YEARS later during Season 31 (or 32, I can't quite remember)... where Telly casually mentions "Hooper's Store: where you can have what you want, just the way you want it."

Alan is keen on the saying, and decides to make it the store's new slogan... and soon, Telly takes the new slogan far too seriously, and begins making all these crazy little demands so he can have what he wants with his lunch JUST the way he wants it. Finally, Alan takes down the new slogan, and tells Telly he made a mistake when he made it the slogan.
Yes, I remember that episode. Telly wanted a triangle hat while he ate his sandwich as well as a music band.

ISNorden

Reaction score
Does anyone remember this SS story from the early 80's?

David wanted Hooper's Store to have a slogan or catchy phrase to get more customers. So he started up a catchy phrase contest. Everyone would write down their ideas for a slogan and the winner will get a free lunch.

[snippage]

Telly had an idea, but he worried it wouldn't work. "Hooper's store has everything from A to Z." But Telly couldn't find anything in the store that starts with L, Q, or Z. But David told Telly he sells Lunch, has Quarts of Milk, and he searched the store until he found a Zipper. Telly became happy and submitted his answer.
It's a good thing Telly probably didn't comment on the store's lack of X items. What would David have done--point out a flyer for xylophone lessons posted in the window? (Bob does teach music, so that'd be one way to fit the instrument in! :stick_out_tongue: )

Later, Don Music pushed his piano into the Fix-It Shop and told Maria he wrote a jingle about the Fix-It Shop. He sung it along with Little Chrissy and the Alphabeats. Maria tried to tell Don that it was Hooper's Store that was holding the contest and Don became discouraged. But Maria tried to help Don fix the song and lyrics so it would be about Hooper's Store.
This part I vaguely remember...Don rhymed "door" with "store" after Maria suggested it.

Then Oscar submitted a grouchy poem about Hooper's which kind of insulted David.
Ouch, that had to hurt!

Now it was time to pick a winner. David chose Forgetful Jones to be the judge. Forgetful went into the back to read all the slogans and a few minutes later, he made his decision. But he forgot how to be a judge and started shouting out all the slogans in the box and everyone cheered for they thought theirs had won while a panicked David tried to stop Forgetful. So Hooper's Store now had a bunch of new slogans and David was forced to give everyone free lunches.
I forgot the ending after all these years; thanks for reminding me about a hilarious plot!

ISNorden

Reaction score

THAT one I remember fairly well; it doesn't sound like the same episode as the slogan contest, though (the whole plot centered on Telly's demands). I can see how someone might confuse the two!