1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

How Cookie Monster works?

Discussion in 'Puppet News' started by Georgina, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Georgina

Georgina New Member

Hi everybody!

I usually think how Cookie Monster works...How many people move it? The two hands are from one person, or maybe two...But somebody has to move his mouth... :confused:
    Maybe somebody has an idea!

And wow! His eyes! Are really funny!! jaja! Do you know how them work?

No idea!!
  2. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

Hi! Cookie Monster works the same way such characters as Ernie, Oscar the Grouch, and Fozzie work. One performer works the left hand and head (while also providing the voice), and a second performer operates the right hand. Hope this clears things for you.
  3. Georgina

Georgina New Member

Thank you very much Bear! :)

Yes, this clears all for me! It has to be so dificult to move coordinately!

Thank you!
  4. Muppet dude

Muppet dude Active Member

Cookie Monster is what they call a Live-Hand Muppet.

Ernie and Rowlf and Fozzie and Dr. Teeth and Herry Monster are also Live-Hand Muppets. Also, any character made out of the Large Lavender Live Hand Anything Muppet or was originally made out of that Muppet pattern (Count Von Count, The Amazing Mumford, Harvey Kneeslapper, Joe Marley, Biff the Construction Worker, Rodeo Rosie, etc.) are also Live-Hand Muppets, too. I think Richard Hunt usually did right-hand work when Jerry Nelson operated a Live-Hand Muppet.
  5. shtick

shtick New Member

what avout the eyes? Is there a cookie monster eyes diagram floatin around? if not could someone draw one up?
  6. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Active Member

The eyes are just spheres and the pupil isn't fixed in one position. The pupils are attached to the eye using a single pin, or nail or something like that so that they can spin around freely to create the "Googly" eye effect.
  7. Was Once Ernie

Was Once Ernie New Member

In the case of the Cookie Monsters I've seen, they were tiny, tiny screws. I guess that's so they don't pull out so easily. But there was definitely a small slot in the end. You just can't see it on television.

:p
  8. Buck-Beaver

Eyeglass screws would probably work well.
  9. Georgina

Georgina New Member

Wow! Thank you Muppet dude, Shtick, Buck-Beaver, and Was Once Ernie!
    You know a lot of things!

I think that sooner I'll try to make the Cookie Monster eyes...But first, I'll make a Live-Hand-Puppet!

I'll tell you my experience! ;)

Thank you!
  10. SesameKermie

SesameKermie Member

Georgina, you may want to check out The Consumer Monster website. http://www.consumermonster.com/ It has a pattern for a puppet who is very similar to Cookie Monster.
  11. Georgina

Georgina New Member

Hi SesameKermie!

I've seen the Consumer Monster's Spot in your web! It's very fun!! :D
    And it's true, the pattern is very similar. It'll help me!

Thank you!
  12. shtick

shtick New Member

The pupil thats attached with a rivet/screw to the eye. Is it flat or spherical so i can be flush against the eye?
  13. Was Once Ernie

Was Once Ernie New Member

It was actually spherical and sticks up slightly, but again, unless you're looking at him up close and personal, it blends into the black pupil and you can't see it.

:p
  14. Pino

Pino Member

I have made an own coockie myself and made also a hole at the back of his mouth, so he can really eat things!
  15. Georgina

Georgina New Member

Hi Pino!

Good idea! A real cookie monster has to eat cookies!
    Has you tried to make him eat cookies just like the real cookie monster does? When cookie monster eats cookies he makes a lot of crumbs.

He eats cookies like a veritable hungry MONSTER!! :)
  16. Buck-Beaver

Just don't use real cookies, they can ruin the puppet...I think the cookie props on Sesame Street are actually painted rice cakes.
  17. Pino

Pino Member

Ah hola georino.. como estas? Well It ate reall coockys and shorly it crumms too! lol
    His the link to my coockie!
  18. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

Huh?
  19. Buck-Beaver

Ah hola georino.. como estas? = Oh, hi Georgina...how are you? (she's from Spain)

I think then Pino is trying to say that his Cookie puppet ate real cookies and crumbs too. Maybe...

Pino está un poco loco. :p
  20. Georgina

Georgina New Member

Hola Pino! Veo que sabes un poco de español! ( "Hi Pino! I see that you speaks a little of spanish!)

Yes, it has been a little difficult but I've understood the same that Buck-Beaver says. :p

Pino, your cookie monster is very funny! ;)

Ya me lo ha parecido.