How did they....

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
How did they make the puppet on sesame street "the sesame street martian"? the ones that go "meep meep meep"? there made out of a bunch of strings but how are they held up and opperated? I cant seem to figure it out, any one else? :confused:

Lu775

Reaction score
I have no idea how they were constructed. But if it helps, I believe the muppets you're referring to are the "YipYips".
(yip-yip-yip-yip-yip-yip-uhhuh-uhhuh-phone!)

here them sing Here about family.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
The Yip-Tips aren't made of string, but I believe they are rod-controlled puppets.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Take a wooden rod, maybe a 1/4 or 1/2 inch rod, and create a little "T" at the top of it my screwing and gluing down a piece of wood probably about 3.5 inches long and 1 inch wide. Take another rod and affix another "T" on it, just not as big as the first.

Take your fur material and make a TUBE with it, maybe about 20 inches long, maybe a 10" circumfurence. ROLL the tube outside in, so that the exterior will have a thickness around the gaping mouth. DO this for about 5 inches down, then shove the larger "T" rod into one side and screw ping pong balls for eyes on top of that. Shove the smaller "T" rod into th ebottom jaw, and then sew the whole thing from the inside. You can then add black felt to the inside of that for the mouth interior.

Trim up from the bottom of the tube towards the top 7.5", then hem the seperate trimmings in the back so you get the string look.

Antennae is pipe cleaners, which you can get some that have glittery looks, and you can make the balls from styrofoam, glue colored glitter to that.

Best description I can give, but seems like it should work.

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
Im still a little confused.... You take the rods and put them in the tube of material, but I dont understand how to attach the rods or how to make it so the mouth works (sorry, its probably plain english, but Im a little slow...) But thank you so much for what you have told me so far! Ive been dreaming of making one fo these for a long time! You were extreemly helpful! But I would greatly appreciate it if you could elaberate a little more!

Thanks a bunch!
Katie :smile: :excited: :big_grin:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I sent you an email, but once you roll the material inward, you put the rods behind the material and sew the 'lips' to the back of the inside of the puppet, hemming around the rod.

Pino

Reaction score
It´s much easier! They are held with hands as normal muppets. Only the sleeve is vblack and the strings are bright, so you wont notice them quickly. When they fly its als cammouflaged with a computer background (like the blue ,now green screen)
At least thats how I think they made it! :rolleyes: