1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

How did you discover Fraggle Rock?

Discussion in 'Fraggle Rock' started by muppet baby, Mar 13, 2009.

1. muppet baby

muppet baby Active Member

I love this show sooooooooooooooo much , OK i will start this thread LOL .

When did you first started watching fraggle Rock ? The live acton one that was on HBO or the aninmated one that was on saterday mornings for a while .

Ok the very frist time that i discovered fraggle rock was the animatied series , on saterday mornings we never had Satilie until Fraggle rock was off the air on HBO so my frist taste of Fraggle Rock was with the Animated series on Saterday morning and loved it . I also had some of the books that came from a book club along with the book bag YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA:excited:

i also found some of the live action epsodes found them on VHS some time later at a video store , that my mom and dad would take me to to rent some VHS on a weekly basis , we had to rent a lot sense we did not have a lot of money to buy a lot of VHS at the time .

I fell in love with both of them . They where both a comfort food for me along with all the muppets .

i am so glad to finally have the complete series on DVD right now . Just like when i was a kid Fraggle Rock beings the same comfort and fun Just the same , i am having a daily marathon to watch the series all the way though LOL looking forward of the years of being able to do that . Great Muppet friends they are .

:excited:

2. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Repost:

I was late actually seeing the Fraggle Rock show, that is I always had the toys (Just a Red Car and a Fraggle Rocker drum) etc but I never saw the characters as themselves until I think, PBS re-ran them when I was about twelve...

3. muppet baby

wow Redsonga, i am so glad that you said that about the PBS reun actually i saw one or two re runs on PBS , after i rented some VHS eposdes in the video store LOL

4. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

The funny thing is that my PBS only ran a few episodes of the first season (mostly gorg episodes) and the last season (mostly Red episodes) , all out of order, at an odd time in the afternoon after school and on the weekend, and only for about a month before they stopped showing it :(. And yet, I still remembered it years later when I saw them in the season sets :).

5. bazooka_beak

bazooka_beak Active Member

I was actually very late to the game. I was only 2 or 3 when the show came out, and I don't believe we had HBO at the time, either. When I watched the Muppet Family Christmas special, I had no idea who they were :S I might've seen a select episode or two when they released some on VHS, but until I bought the DVDs the majority of it was new to me *is ashamed*

6. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

I remember catching a few episodes when my father took us on vacation or something ... it was the only way we saw HBO

I barely remember the cartoon. Though I remember having Happy Meal FR stuff.

7. Quazimoto

Quazimoto Active Member

I was kinda lucky I guess... We could actually afford HBO (this was before they added about a billion HBO channels) so I pretty much grew up with the Fraggles. The series started right aorund when I was born and according to my parents, I seemed to love it so much that they started recording the episodes each week. I watched those tapes over and over again right up until the DVDs started to come out.

8. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Ooo..now that is something..I would not mind seeing FR as it ran on HBO with things like the ads and other thingies left in buned on a DVD or something. Since I do have offical copies now IMHO it wouldn't even be unlawful ;)

9. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I'm a little bit...cough...older than some of you so I found out about Fraggle Rock back when Muppets easily marketed themselves in Muppet Magazine! That's where I ordered all of the Fraggle toys (yes, I had the Fraggle five plushes, Uncle Matt, some wind up Doozers, all of the figure PVCs, lots of books and stickers, some of the cassette tapes and VHS compilations). I even took some trips to NYC's Muppet Stuff Store that had a lot of Fraggley goodness.

I didn't have HBO so I had to watch it at my grandparents' house (across the country from us), on vacation in hotels with cable or at friends' houses. I only caught about a quarter of the shows until recently. I did watch some of the animated series and noticed it once or twice on the Disney Channel much later. Still, my fond Fraggle memories are rooted in the 80s. I firmly believe Fraggle Rock to be one of the primary leaders in the growth of children’s cable television. If only it still had that sort of quality that entertains those of all ages like Red and Boober! :excited:

10. muppet baby

agree with you so much i wish i could have seen the orgnal HBO eposdes to , more than anything , but Money sucked for us back then the adds would be so great to . sigh we are thinking the same on this .:)

11. alyteima

alyteima New Member

I was very lucky, one of the few things my parents splurged on was HBO, and I got to see Fraggle Rock when it originally aired there. Fraggle Rock was the first show I can remember watching and I've always loved it.

When I was young, I felt self-conscious about their constantly singing (my family was funny about that kind of stuff) but now I love the songs so much, I have them on my I-pod, LOL. Fraggle Rock really contributed to a happy childhood for me, I really adore it more than I can say.

I love the Gobo and Wembley friendship most of all, always have, even when I was five :)

Aly:insatiable:

12. Kiki

Kiki Active Member

I was born in the 90s, and I don't recall any re-runs of FR on the telly (then again, I live in Aus, so it would be different over here). I borrowed lots of videos from the video-shops, I even recall ages back (gorsh, I must've been about 4!) I was begging my mum not to take one of them back to the shops, lol! But it's hard to say my first experience, because I've loved FR and the muppets fer as long as I can remember. :)

13. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

For me, my discovery of Fraggle Rock was through books at the store, lunchboxes, etc. around 1984-85. I was way to poor to have cable, let alone the pay channel HBO. I always to this day find it rather bizarre Jim Henson would set off to make a show aimed at world peace, yet it could only be seen by Canadians and then rich kids in America.

Regardless, I realized Fraggle Rock was a very very special show. I managed to catch a couple episodes at a friend's house and was so blown away. I carried, despite scorn from kids, a Fraggle Rock lunchbox every day to school in third grade. Spent hours reading and rereading the Fraggle Rock books. I remember in 1986 being 8 in a Waldenbooks and having missed the showing of Transformers the movie from reading those. Im glad they are finally all on dvd. And that there is talk of a big revival.

Thankfully I did get to see the Fraggle Rock cartoon in 1988 on CBS morning, and am so glad a few episodes are now on dvd. LOVED that show, still do, and am glad so much merchandise came of it. (A lot of Fraggle Rock merch thats out actually came about because of that particular incarnation)

There is something truly powerful and wonderful about that series and the chemistry, it just bugs me so many children never got to grow up or see it given unlike Muppet Show/Sesame, it wasnt on regular tv.

14. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Me too. outside of the cartoon, the only place I really saw Fraggles were in various Jim Henson specials like Muppet Family Christmas. I swear I saw one episode once of the actual live action one, but I can't remember if I really did or not.

It wasn't until the DVD's came out that I really got to experiance them. My fault, though... I really should have bought the Disney produced Fraggle DVD's during the great Buena Vista VHS Clearance of '98.... I got all these Ducktales and Rescue Rangers and Bullwinkle ones, but I never picked the Fraggle one up.

15. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I saw so little of the show that getting it on VHS (or that there were even VHSs of it ) never really crossed my mind. My ma did not believe in renting movies or buying them anyway, so wanting them would have not done me any good :(

16. bazooka_beak

bazooka_beak Active Member

Actually, I take it back. I did see a little of the Fraggles as a kid (outside of the Christmas special). But it was only through a clip on the Muppets 30th Anniversary TV special :[ I think it was from the beginning of the first episode, where Matt is talking about Fraggle Rock and the way of Fraggles. Everything else I had to experience through the DVDs.

17. invisabell

invisabell New Member

My mom says it was my favorite show when i was like 4. we didn't have HBO but we live in Canada and I'm pretty sure it showed on basic cable up here. I remembered enogh of the show to know i liked it (my tastes havent realy changed much the last 20 years:coy:) to pick up the Box sets, got hooked all over again and now i sing fraggle songs in the car to annoy my brother:insatiable:

18. Collgoff

Collgoff Well-Known Member

Well all I know that my older brother Matthew Goff use to watch Fraggle Rock when he was little and I think I did saw something like that. Anyway when the holidays were coming up and I saw a clip on Youtube that Kermit and nephew Robin came to Fraggle Rock. So after that somehow inside wonder if there were any more of Fraggle Rock so I got the DVDs of the Fraggle Rock and so that's how I discovered it.

19. Frozann

Frozann Member

Of course, Muppet Wiki! :D
    When I was a child, I watched Sesame Street. An year ago I somehow remembered all those things and discovered Muppet Wiki. I watched The Muppet Show. Then Fraggle Rock. That's all.

20. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

I never had access to HBO as a kid, so even though I was a big Muppet fan I never saw FR. I guess in my bitterness I decided it was just a kiddie show. I didn't think about it until I found the DVDs on Amazon for a good price, figured what the heck, got the mega-set...and got hooked. I was amazed by how good the show was. Before I'd chewed my way through the whole series I was perpetrating fanfic and fan art.