How do you explain Scooter's introduction?

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Yeah, the thing is, the movies pretty much admit they made up the origin story. I tend, in my fics, to see them as different origins but because they supposedly happen so far apart from each other, you can just argue that some memories are bad (or willfully altered to suit the character's preference) or that some things did happen, it's just that no one really recalls it.

I think that makes sense. Still not awake yet :big_grin:

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I've mentioned elsewhere on the forum that as far as I'm concerned I don't see any proper substantial continuity in The Muppet Show series anyway.

The season one DVD set is supposed to be arranged in "official chronological order" though when they first aired on television they broadcast them in random order and even on the DVDs Scooter's "introduction" takes place after he's already appeared in at least two or three episodes. They did the same thing with Annie Sue Pig in season three, and she even technically appeared back in season two albeit as an unnamed background character.

So therefore I'd say there's no explanation for Scooter's introduction in TMS let alone for Muppet Babies. All Muppet Show related Henson productions are basically stand alone sort of shows to be purely enjoyed on their own merit.

That's my two cents to this discussion. :smile: :wink:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I think Annie Sue is different, though. I think it was just miscommunication. Kermit hired her but didn't tell Piggy. Piggy realized who she was later on. Kermit then introduced her to Piggy when she started doing more than filling the background. I feel he didn't realize Piggy knew Annie Sue from her past.

LamangoNumber2

Reaction score
Scooter just appeared, CLAIMED his uncle owned the theater, and got the job. Nothing more, nothing less. Least we know he didn't end up cage dancing.

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
I think of Scooter as being quite a bit younger than Kermit and most of the other "main" Muppets. I see him as a bright eyed kid - probably either still in high school or having just graduated recently. In that since, I think it's impossible for everyone to have grown up together. His introduction on the Muppet Show is probably the closest thing to being canon for his introduction, but I agree. There really isn't one Muppet canon.

Blue Weirdo

Reaction score
Scooter just appeared, CLAIMED his uncle owned the theater, and got the job. Nothing more, nothing less. Least we know he didn't end up cage dancing.
Scooter's uncle did actually appear once or twice and Kermit spoke with him on the phone occasionally so Scooter's claim is legitimate even if he did take unfair advantage of it.

Also in VMMCM Kermit says Scooter's uncle left them the theater (Doesn't officially say he died but I doubt he's hibernating :embarrassed: )

Fluffets

Reaction score
Scooter's uncle did actually appear once or twice and Kermit spoke with him on the phone occasionally so Scooter's claim is legitimate even if he did take unfair advantage of it.

Also in VMMCM Kermit says Scooter's uncle left them the theater (Doesn't officially say he died but I doubt he's hibernating :embarrassed: )
Well we have seen him I think in MTI being a carriage driver I think or something for Captain Smollet, though like everyone he wore a wig. So even if the character is, the real JP Grosse is presumabely still alive with a small acting career, but no recent activity that I'm aware of proves this.:confused:

Convincing John

Reaction score
I think of Scooter as being quite a bit younger than Kermit and most of the other "main" Muppets. I see him as a bright eyed kid - probably either still in high school or having just graduated recently. In that since, I think it's impossible for everyone to have grown up together. His introduction on the Muppet Show is probably the closest thing to being canon for his introduction, but I agree. There really isn't one Muppet canon.
Well, here's something else to consider. As of the Nancy Walker episode, Scooter's still in school. He even says so.

Check out this video (a little after the five minute mark) and Scooter talks about selling magazine subscriptions for school.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZChE15PN0mY

As for the Muppet babies thing...uh, I dunno. It's kinda odd. yeah, we could say that it's all part of Piggy's imagination, but there's the evidence on film in MFC. (Deleted video scenes or no deleted video scenes, some of us have the original airing on tape):wink:

I think...just tossing an idea out there, I wish there could be a coffee table book called "The History of the Muppets". Collaborations could be from writers, Muppeteers, the Muppet Wiki, etc. to tell the once-and-for-all-truth about where the characters themselves grew up, whether the Muppet Babies play a part (or not) and how they met (or how some of them met as babies and then met up later).

Just how did Kermit find them all to hire at the theater anyway? We know about Scooter's connection with the theater. Oddly enough, there's a detailed biography about Bo in a Muppet book from the late 70's/early 80's (including a detailed description about how he got hired). But...very little else is known about how Kermit hired the others. I could easily see Rowlf giving Kermit a hand (in Muppet history, they've been working together since at least 1969).

There's a lot to think about here.

Convincing John

Beauregard

Reaction score
Ah, but then MFC just had to go ruin it all by saying it did happen. :big_grin:

My thoughts: The Muppets hung out together at Nanny's, which was more like an informal day care (yes, they could spend the night, though). However, eventually everyone split up and only met again as adults. A lot can happen over the years.
Hmm...MFC did say that, but then again, if we're assuming that Muppet Babies was Miss Piggy's personal enterprise (having thought it up, and gotten a company to make it in cartoon for for her) she probably would have been able to badger Kermit into letting her put a neat little advertising moment for that show into the MFC special they were filming...