1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

How is Bobo operated?

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Frogster, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Frogster

Frogster Active Member

So I watched Muppets From Space a lil over a week ago, and I can't help but wonder, how is he operated? he doesn't have the sleeve coming below the arm like Fozzie and he's not blanketed over like Rowlf... anyone?
  2. Walter

Walter Active Member

I wouldn't be surpised if there was some post-production magic involved..
  3. KermieBaby47

KermieBaby47 Well-Known Member

I always assumed he was operated in the same way as Big Bird, at least in full-body/walking shots. As for the closeups, I imagine he could still be singly-performed, maybe the same way; with a clear fishing line looping through/around his neck to move his right arm around in similar motions as his left, at least up and down, heh.
  4. Dearth

Dearth Active Member

For certain shots, Bobo's hands are in such perfect synch that I have wondered if one operator might be doing both of those, concealed inside the character's bulk, while Bill stands slightly behind and just does the head. There's precedent, with Chef and Rowlf, but normally for live hands, the assist is just doing the right hand, so that means Bobo's a little different.

Alex
  5. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

It'd have to be similar to Bobby Vegan and Samson McKnight, right? I mean, they're roughly the same type of puppet, I guess.
  6. The Mush

The Mush New Member

I thought the same until I gotta book on "Muppets from Space" that showed Bill Barretta under Bobo, so I'm saying Bobo is a Live-Hand Muppet.
  7. LamangoNumber2

LamangoNumber2 Active Member

He's operated like a puppet.;)
  8. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I think The Muppets Take Manhattan is the only time he was used as a full-body character, long before he became ana ctual character. He migth have been seen in full-body form in Mr. Willoby's Christmas Tree.

I think I read somewhere long ago that Bill Baretta wears something for support which holds up the heavy puppet.