1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

How is Jerry Nelson doing?

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by beaker, Sep 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

Wow, this is so cool. It is great to see you posting on here, Mr. Nelson!
    It's good to hear that you are recovering and I wish you the best of luck and hope that you can heal up soon. :sing:

It's so nice of you to drop by MuppetCentral to let the fans know what you are up to. I really love your work and your characters - especially my main man Floyd! - so hearing from you on the forum is really amazing. Your characters have always been favourites of mine, and listening to them/you sing is really inspiring. Music is such a big part of my life, and the music has been and always will be my favourite part of all the muppet projects. I particularily love the Fraggle songs of my fellow Canadian, Gobo.

It's amazing to hear you've dropped by. Take care of yourself!

Love and well-wishes from MrsPepper :smirk:
  2. Faylo

Faylo Member

Awesome to see you posting, Mr. Nelson! :)
    You are a great inspiration to me. I also wish you a speedy recovery!

Love,
    Faylo
  3. Xerus

Xerus Active Member

Thank you for posting. And I am so sorry to hear about your health ordeals. I pray you'll be well soon and thank you for bringing to life a whole bunch of wonderful characters over the years and still performing The Count and Fat Blue. And I'll always like Floyd, Lew Zeland, Uncle Deadly, Lewis Kazagger, Camilla, Strangepork, Robin, Herry, Farley, Biff, Gobo, Pa Gorg, and Marjoree.
  4. Robin

Robin New Member

Jerry,
    Conan O'Brien went very well!!!! The Animals were very funny!!!! the Audience loved it! We did the Rachael Ray show too... that will air in late September or early October... Thanks again Jerry!!! You're the Best!!!!
  5. JaniceFerSure

JaniceFerSure Active Member

Hello Mr. Nelson...

Thank you for updating us on your health Mr. Nelson.May you have a great recovery.Your vocals are incredible,you've been an inspiration to me.I've watched your work since the early 70s,on Sesame Street.You're an entertainment genius.

God Bless you for all the work you've done over the years.:sing:
  6. OverUnderAround

OverUnderAround New Member

Hi Jerry,
    You are loved by all.

P.S.- If your doctor hasn't suggested it, look into Pulmonary Rehabilitation Therapy.
    It's not a cure, but it can improve your way of life.
  7. CommanderD

CommanderD New Member

Wow, I had no idea that the Muppeteers posted here!

Anyway, Mr. Nelson, I'll just repeat what everyone else here has said and say that you'll be in my prayers and I hope you get well soon! I've been a fan of yours (and everyone else connected with the Muppets, really) years before I knew any of your names. :)
  8. Camellia

Camellia New Member

take care Jerry!

God Bless! :)

best wishes,
    Camellia
  9. MeepBorkMeep

MeepBorkMeep New Member

Where is Jerry, anyway? How come Twiddlebug isn't registered as a user?

Oh, and Jerry, if you are still reading, expect your get well soon thingy soon, pro'ly 'll be sent to sesame street.
  10. Infinity Sirius

Infinity Sirius New Member

Though we have never met I like consider all the Muppeteers old friends who I have known through childhood through their respectful alteregos. My sincerest wishes for you to get well again and continue with what brings you joy in life.

We all love you!
    Sirius
    Yorick likes this.
  11. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

Forgot to also mention that it is nice to see that Jerry is involved with the new Dark Crystal movie to come out soon.
  12. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

That's great!
  13. Is it the Pebble pox? Well just to let you know! Jerry you are my favorite Muppetier! Im sorry you are i'll. I will keep ypu in my prayers. I hope you feel better soon, we got to see you in tip top shape to play Gobo again :) :smirk:
    Anyways, we all love you to death!
  14. Convincing John

Convincing John Well-Known Member

My Jerry Nelson "story"...

Mr. Nelson, if you're reading this...

Thinking about all you've done to make my childhood (and beyond) so warm and welcoming with your characters...all I can do is quote Gobo Fraggle from "Honk of Honks" as Doc gave him the party favor...

"Thanks! Thanks for everything!":smirk:

But here's a Jerry Nelson story I don't think I've shared with you guys here at MC.

It was my senior year in college, (quite a while ago) and I was taking an art course that involved a lot of long hours in front of a computer tinkering with "Photoshop"-like programs. Those of you who work on this stuff for a long time know what it's like having to tinker with all those pixels.

Anyway, I had sent an email to Jerry Nelson (via a Henson Associates email that forwarded messages to the Muppeteers) sometime in November. (The course I took was in January). I remember the email was just something like "How's it going? Hope you're well." Pretty basic. I didn't ask him anything, I just wanted to say "hi", and if he ever wanted to write to me, I emailed him my address.

So anyway, here came January, and I was in this class, and one day near the end of the period, I felt warm. Figuring they had just turned up the heater a notch, I left class, walked back to the dorm. I was still warm. And getting warmer.

Confused, I felt my forehead, thinking "Am I getting a fever? Hmmm...maybe." I took my temperature. It was 103!

The weird thing was, I wasn't woozy or anything. I was completely alert. But nevertheless, my parents came to get me so I could go to the doctor. I was ticked off that I had to miss class, because I felt fine! It reminded me of Frank Oz talking about Jim having walking pneumonia once and he was outside...filming a commercial...at a gas station...and it was 5 degrees!

Now here's the cool part. I go home, get ready to go to the doctor, and just as I'm waiting in the van, my parents come out of the house with an ordinary-looking Christmas card-like envelope. They get in the van and Mom said "This came for you today. It doesn't say who it's from."

Confused, I figured it was a card from someone from my college. Someone who had graduated and moved?

I stupidly tore the handwritten envelope open with my finger (unaware of the treasure inside). As the van pulled out of the driveway, I pulled out a simple, little, blank green card. It was shiny and dark green and made from a paper like you'd get at an art store. Inside, it was addressed to me in some unfamiliar handwriting, which said:

"Thank you for your nice letter. Merry Christmas and have a happy, healthy New Year!" one side of the card said. I began to read the signature...three signatures.

"J...."

"Who's it from?" asked Dad, as we drove along.

Along with whatever medicine the doctor was going to give me, (if what I was reading was true), I would also need eye drops. Why? My eyes were frozen wide open! I honestly looked like Klaus Mueller from Muppet Sports (the guy who outstared the tree in the Lola Falana TMS episode). Finally, remembering how to blink, I read the signatures again...

The signature said: "Jerry Nelson". Beneath that, "The Count", and next to that "Floyd" (signed on a musical staff).:sing:

Now, even though I had an incredibly high fever, I felt like jumping out of the van and doing cartwheels in the snow! Instead, though, I just handed the card to Mom up in the passenger seat. She was so happy, she cried! Dad (who saw the card when we got to the doctor's office) was happy, too!

So there I was, a fever of 103 and a card in my hand from an extraordinary Muppeteer wishing me a happy and healthy new year!

I had one of the highest fevers I'd ever had in my life...but thanks to Mr. Nelson, it was one of the BEST days of my life! (And that card helped me get better a whole lot quicker than anything the doctor gave me!)

Thank you, Mr. Nelson. Please get well, take good care of yourself, and thank you so much for the wonderful card!

Convincing John
  15. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

Nice to see Jerry on here. Glad to see your doing ok Mr. Nelson. Sorry to hear that you had to go through all those things. But just glad to see your doing well and that your still working on Sesame Street and other henson stuff. Thanks again for all the things you've done for us the fans. Thanks again Jerry. :sing:
  16. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Wow! That's an amazing story Convincing John!
  17. AndyWan Kenobi

AndyWan Kenobi Active Member

Dear Jerry,

I just wanted to say thank you for checking in with us here, and for giving us so much to be happy about for so long! I join everyone else in sending you my love and my best wishes.

I will also, at least in my imagination, send you a giant jar of jelly beans to keep the Count busy.

:)
  18. dbarrie

dbarrie New Member

Hi Jerry,

I've been a Muppet fan my whole life and have particularly enjoyed your work. Some of my faves include The Count, Robin the Frog, Gobo Fraggle and Emmet Otter. Glad to hear you're getting better. Keep on truckin'! :sing:

DB
  19. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

While we are on the subject of the fabulous Jerry, where would be the best place to send Fanmail for the man these days? Assumeing he won't mind being swamped with well-wishing postcards, boxes of Muffins and having the occasional stalker in future days to come?
  20. Pino

Pino Member

Jerry all the best wishes.. and hope you can do what you like most very soon!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.