How long will VHS last?

Muppets1985

Reaction score
This morning I waz just looking at my Disney & Muppet videos and it got me wondering....How much longger will VHS last? I mean just about EVERY Disney & Muppet video and non-disney videos over populate my DVD's. I know that VHS is getting cheaper and the VHS players are also geting cheaper too, & i HAVE notesed that MORE people ARE buying MORE VHS and video players then DVD's. Don't take me rong but i STILL love my Video/VHS player!!!

Looking for YOUR comments!...

scarecroe

Reaction score
Actually, you've got it backwards. More and more people are going to DVD. Originally, it was the format just for the elite video freaks, but in recent years, it has caught on with the masses. Observe how most family titles now are released in widescreen and pan&scan formats (which is a mistake, but those soccer moms can't stand those "black lines" despite the fact that in a few years, we'll all be watching widescreen TVs). Sales of players and titles are on the up like never before. VHS is going the way of the dog, but I don't expect it will be completely gone for some time. Audio cassettes only just recently began to become hard to get, especially for new albums.

radionate

Reaction score
Another thing to realize is that over time, VHS tapes wear out and break and the picture quality also diminishes.

I don't think that VHS will go away until DVD recorders are more mainstream and inexpensive. How else will Moms and Dads capture a kids first soccer game?

beaker

Reaction score
The only thing vhs is good for is rare out of print never coming to vhs rarities, and fan trades(tho im hoping people switch to the much more conveinent cdr/vcd-r format)

>>>despite the fact that in a few years, we'll all be watching widescreen TVs<<<

Ok, yes...I have a big ol flat screen, monster a/v cables, and a region free/pal compatible/vcdr playin' dvd player. But still,
I have to say...vhs has gotten to the point where its embarassing to even mention. The words "coming soon to dvd and home video" make me cringe. It should be "coming soon exclusively to dvd". Defending vhs is like defending the 8-track or phonograph. Might be cool in a nostalgic trip, but like the lame perception that the Muppets are "old and nostalgic"...it's obsoltete.

*wondering if Im the only one who LOVES MFC on dvd*

radionate

Reaction score
Corey,

You didn't say this in your post, but I got the sense from it. Why replace your VHS tapes with DVDs like MFC when there aren't any extras on the DVD? There are so many other things I would think are worth getting then a simple show on a disc with no bonuses at all.

Just my humble opinion.:big_grin:

beaker

Reaction score
>>>You didn't say this in your post, but I got the sense from it. Why replace your VHS tapes with DVDs like MFC when there aren't any extras on the DVD? There are so many other things I would think are worth getting then a simple show on a disc with no bonuses at all<<<

First off, the VHS tape I had(from 1995) was the same edit as the dvd. And there was all this crying and boo hooin' on MC about the dvd. I bought it the day it came out, and man! To see it on dvd, looking even clearer then when I saw it on tv in 1988...wow.

To me dvd is all about clarity, something no fansub or even official released vhs has(ie: SLP mode Bear episodes anyone?)

People denying dvds sound slike the people who denied the internet as just a expensive fad in 1995. Now look at the internet...who in this country can live without it for more than a week? The internet changed the world like nothing else.
Now dvd is doing the same thing home entertainment wise...
and wouldnt ya know it, dvd players can be found for about $50, along with dvds for anywhere from $10 to $20. Yes, this is in part to Best Buy(the best darn media store on the planet) but not to argue with anyone, but the argument of 'until dvd players are mainstream and more affordable' doesnt make sense.

Dvd players are insanely affordable...and its sticking to vhs that is left to the mainstream.

radionate

Reaction score
Corey, I think you misread my quote.

I said until RECORDABLE DVD players are at a price range that is affordable to the masses. Not a chead a** DVD player from Best Buy that skips every two seconds, and breaks down after 6 months.

VHS won't disappear and die until that happens. There are too many people in the world with Home Videos of their kids, and home video cameras that they still take to soccer games and birthday parties. Until some form of a DVD recorder can come out to replace the ultimate family memory maker, VHS won't die out.

beaker

Reaction score
>>>Until some form of a DVD recorder can come out to replace the ultimate family memory maker, VHS won't die out<<<

Well I can wear a skinny tie and put on a Devo 12" but that doesn't mean cassette tapes and beta vhs is still viable. Go to your local Best Buy..."Hmm, where's all the vhs?" When the world's biggest electronic media chain carries dvds only, that tells ya something.

radionate

Reaction score
Yeah, that you aren't looking around at the rest of the store!:stick_out_tongue:

Best Buy carries plenty of VHS tapes and VCRs.

beaker

Reaction score
>>>Yeah, that you aren't looking around at the rest of the store!

Best Buy carries plenty of VHS tapes and VCRs<<<

Well, there is only 3 in my area...and each one has an insanely HUGE dvd section...and then theres a small little shelf with vhs discounted. Same with Virgin Record store and Tower along with any other sane chain. The fact is vhs is on life support and is quite obsolete.