1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

How Many Muppets Are There? Thousands?

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by beaker, Aug 5, 2009.

Buy the Muppets Most Wanted Blu-ray and Save 43%!

1. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Next year marks the 55 year anniversary of the Muppets, and it got me thinking...
    Out of boredom I went to http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Muppet_Wiki and was randomly looking at all the characters listed simply for the Muppet Show/Muppet brand, Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock, and Bear in the Big Blue House(which itself boasts an insane amount of characters) and was thinking...

How many "Muppet" characters ARE there? If we were to include every single puppet character and background character from say...

The Muppet Show
    All Muppet specials/tv appearances/talk show gigs
    Online shows(From the Balcony, etc)
    Sam and Friends
    Sesame Street
    ALL International Sesame Streets
    Fraggle Rock
    Fraggle Rock Animated
    Bear in the Big Blue House
    Jim Henson Hour
    Dinosaurs
    Sid the Science Kid
    Mopatop
    Hoobs
    Puppet Up
    Emmet Otter
    Muppet Musicians of Bremman
    Bunny Picnic
    Dog City
    Scary Scary Monsters
    60's and 70's Muppet specials
    Big Bag
    Animal Jam
    Skrumps
    Animal Show w/ Stinky and Jake
    Late Night Buffet/Dels Comedy Buffet
    Tinseltown
    Unstable Fairy Tale dvd series
    Land of Gorch
    City Kids

I mean, you add it all up....thats a LOT of Muppet/Henson/Sesame brand related characters!

Does Disney even have that many characters?
    I'm guessing we're talking in the thousands if you tally every
    single puppet and digital puppet character from the above mentioned shows and brands.
  2. vettech28

vettech28 Active Member

I would say that there are hundreds, maybe up to a thousand or two thousand Muppets all together, Disney can't even measure up to that many characters at one time. Although you'd be crazy to count all the Muppets ever created on the Muppet Wiki. If they all came together to celebrate the 55th anniversary of the Muppets, it be extremely crowded!
  3. muppetmonster

muppetmonster New Member

Do not forget these:

The creatures from "Labyrinth" and "the Dark Crystal" (is "the Mirror Mask" also one?)

"Eureka's Castle"

"The Puzzle Place"

"Between the Lions"

There was also a show, which premiered on T.V. around 1993 and was shown on Nick Jr. I think it was called "Goober", but I am not sure. If I remember correctly, Goober was a muppet kid who was working at a store for someone. He had a yellow head, orange hair, and wore green clothes.

I do not know if Audrey 2 from "Little Shop of Horrors" or Yoda from "Star Wars" count, but if they do, do not forget them.

Were there muppets on the old T.V. show, "Kidsongs"?

The characters from the toddler shows, "the Hugga Bunch" and "H.R. Pufnstuf", might not count, but if they are muppets, then they do.

By the way, do you mean muppets Jim Henson created or had a part of, or muppets from television shows, movies, and etc all around the world?

Muppetmonster
  4. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

I believe under "Muppet characters" alone(strictly relating to The Muppet Show itself, specials, and movies) there's a couple thousand alone listed on the wiki.

I strictly only mean puppet characters that have appeared on Jim Henson Company related shows/specials/appearances 1955-2009(even post Disney buyout of the "Muppets" brand)

I personally would not count shows that Muppet performers have worked on at all(Yoda, Eureka's Castle, Avenue Q) I would include
    say, anything under the Henson Alternative brand however, even though it's post Disney buyout; due to the frequent use of
    Muppet/Mopatop/City Kids/etc puppets. I would also include Sid the Science Kid, as it retains a distinct Muppet look and it has the Jim Henson company signature.

I would include all tv commercial created characters by the Jim Henson company, from of course Wiltkins and Wonkins, La Choy Dragon and Baskerville hound to Flat Eric and Dominoe's Bad Andy.
    And I would Ive begun to now include Dinosaurs as part of Muppetdom instead of strictly "Fantasy Worlds", due to the frequent cameos of Muppet Show and Fraggle Rock characters.

The UK Muppet show "Mopatop" is a great example, along with HA! brand "Puppet Up" of what can happen when puppets from all Henson/Muppet brands are re-used to great effect.
  5. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

Other than Gunge, who else was there? O_O
  6. vettech28

vettech28 Active Member

I wouldn't count shows like "Between the Lions", "The Puzzle Place" and "Wimzie's House" as Muppet projects, besides they weren't really created by the Jim Henson Company or Sesame Workshop. Even though they are puppetry shows.
  7. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Corey... Have you not been keeping up with my Muppet Listings threads? They answer the very question you posed here, or at least attempt to. This makes me have to shelve my current counting character creations in order to finish the latest version, the 19th one, which I was planning to post this summer precisely for the anniversary.

The Muppet Universe is already 55 years old. You may not realize this, but the very very first Muppet characters were Longhorn, Shorthorn, and Pierre the French Rat who appeared on The Junior Morning Show back in 1954.
    Also, Between the Lions was created by Christopher Cerf, long-time music writer for SST. Many of the puppeteers from Sesame have worked on BTL, and Sesame characters have even appeared in cameo form on the show.

My Muppet Listings 19 will contain the following:
    TJMS = The Junior Morning Show.
    CityKids.
    Tinkerdee = Tales of the Tinkerdee and The Land of Tinkerdee.
    LMM = Little Muppet Monsters.
    The Land of Gorch.
    The Hoobs.
    Panwapa.
    Telling Stories with Tomie DePaola.
    Puppetman.
    Dog City the TV Series.
    S&F = Sam & Friends.
    TGSCS = The Great Santa Claus Switch.
    GOFH = The Ghost of Faffner Hall.
    Tales from Muppetland = Hey Cinderella! The Frog Prince, and The Muppet Musicians of Bremen.
    Muppet Commercial Characters.
    MGS = Mother Goose Stories.
    Muppet Videos =
    a. Play Along Series = Wow, You're A Cartoonist! Hey, You're as Funny as Fozzie Bear! Sing-Along Dance-Along Do-Along, and Neat Stuff to Know and to Do.
    b. Sing-Along Series = Billy Bunny's Animal Songs, It's Not Easy Being Green, MTI Sing-Along, Muppets on Wheels, and Things That Go.
    c. MCT = Muppet Classic Theater.
    BITBBH = Bear in the Big Blue House.
    Henson Alternative = Puppet Up! Late Night Buffet, and Tinseltown.
    JHCC = Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas, The Christmas Toy and The Secret Life of Toys, Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree, and the 2008 Emmet Otter Stage Show.
    Muppet Characters from various miscellaneous TV appearances over the years.
    JHAS = Jim Henson's Animal Show.
    FR = Fraggle Rock.
    MT = Muppets Tonight.
    JHH = The Jim Henson Hour.
    Mopatop's Shop.
    TMS = The Muppet Show.
    SST = Sesame Street.

I've yet to add SST, but so far all other productions add up to 3,258 entries.

Plans for version 20 will see addition of the following:
    Animal Jam.
    Big Bag.
    The Dark Crystal.
    Dinosaurs.
    Labyrinth.
    The StoryTeller the TV Series.
    The StoryTeller the Greek Myths.

Productions which I'm not sure should be added are:
    Between the Lions.
    Farscape.
    Pajanimals.
    Sam Plenty, either on its own or added to Henson Alternative.
    Sid the Science Kid.
    Unstable Fables.
    The reason for the uncertainty is due to my questions regarding these stemming from my visual acuity. When I'm ready to move on to the 20th listings, I'll be sure to come back and ask, as ideally I'd like to have 40 productions as the highlight of Muppet Listings 20 would be the new entries from SST's 40th season.

Hope this helps and have a good night. :batty: :search: :busy:
  8. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Well...given the extremely similar look of Between the Lions to Sesame Street, those wonderful PBS commercials featuring both
    Between the Lions and Sesame characters, and the frequent Sesame character guest spots on Between the Lions...I can certainly see *why* people would think they are part of Sesame Workshop.

Check out this Muppet wiki entry on Between the Lions:
    http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Between_The_Lions

The co creator of the series is Michael Frith
    One of the top Muppeteers, Peter Linz, performs some of the main characters

Also one of the main people on Between the Lions is Kathy Mullens who "co-created, wrote, played Leona, and served as puppet captain for the first two seasons". Mullens of course is another top Muppeteer alumni

Marty Robinson plays another of the main characters, as well as other main Muppeteer Matt Vogel.

Between the Lions is pretty much top to bottom a Henson/Sesame Workshop concept and production, without being so officially and despite it being wholly concieved outside that realm.

Again, I can see the argument for why some might consider it extremely close to being a Henson/Muppet related endeavor
  9. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Sir that is amazing! I apologize, I have not seen your thread.
    You are by far one of the most amazing historians and minds on here!

And I totally forgot about Pajanimals, Panwapa, and all the 80's to early 90's straight to video specials.
    I would say Pajanimals is absolutely Muppets, as would be Sid the Science Kid. Im now reluctant to say Wubbulous World is or Skrumps would be however...due to Skrumps being the work of Jon Chandler's world, and of course Wubbulous being Dr. Seuss.
    Farscape, Dark Crystal, Storyteller, MirrorMask and Labyrinth I would unfortunately have to say are not Muppet but "creature shop". My reason for now including Dinosaurs into Muppet worlds instead of merely creature shop, is recognizing the Muppet like interplay, occasional Muppet cameos by background characters,
    the fact it's mostly Muppeteers. No other creature shop production is comedic really, and I like how the dvd box set says "And a Jim Henson Company Production" when all previous releases did not feature that.
  10. LamangoNumber2

LamangoNumber2 Active Member

Why not just every puppet? Greg the Bunny, Avenue Q, Puppet Up, MST3K,
  11. The Count

Because those aren't Henson company characters. They belong to their respective individual franchisal universes, which is why there's a completely separate Wiki for puppets altogether.
  12. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Notice you added Fraggle Rock animated.... would that include every animated muppet character as well? Characters who appear, let's say, on Muppet Babies, Little Muppet Monsters... and would that also include comic/illustraited characters as well?
  13. The Count

Yeah... I'd say no and eliminate FR Animated from that. You could count illustrated/animated characters if you wanted since they can be said to be part of the varying Muppet realms, but for me, if there's no tangibility to them I leave them off of my list. That's why I wouldn't add the RTL cast, though my fondest hopes is that the manga's story gets turned into Labyrinth 2, then justifying all those additions. That's also the reason why I'm unsure about Sid and Unstable Fables... But I'll ask about those once I'm good and ready to move on to ML 20.

BTW: Scary, Scary Monsters? Is that meant to be Little Muppet Monsters?
  14. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Those are some great ones too, but I meant more of regarding characters from any Henson/Sesame Workshop/Muppet Holding Company offshoot, brand or related franchise.

Absolutely. I would say EVERY Muppet character who has ever appeared in animated, comic book or children's illustrated book form.
  15. LamangoNumber2

LamangoNumber2 Active Member

Well, isn't Puppet up Henson related?
  16. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Scary Scary Monsters is a 1998-1999 Jim Henson Company Muppet offshoot starring Splurge and other monsters in their own Fraggle Rock like world, mostly told through childrens books:
    http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Scary_Scary_Monsters
    Some plushes and merchandise was made, and word had it that
    even an animated pilot had been made or was in the works. It has a *very* Fraggle Rock animated look and feel to it.

Anyways, to me Skeeter is a significant enough of a character that I would include her on a list...even though she's only existed thus so far in animated and book form.

I personally wouldn't include creatures from Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, Mirrormask or Farscape as "Muppets" due to them being more or less Creature Shop characters...though, Jim Henson Hour's Muppet Television segments certainly did blur that line.
  17. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Yep! *Loves the HA! Brand*
  18. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

Ah - the eternal question: "How does one count the Muppets". I congratulate anyone who even attempts such a thing not only due to the large number but by the fact that to even do such a thing, you have to set a large number of parameters which are logistical nightmares, one of them being discussed here is what productions/families/casts do you include and leave out. Not simple since there are so many of those "exceptions" and grey areas. Take Skeeter (since she was recently mentioned) - she's not been made in Muppet form but she has been made in "Poser Muppet" form.

Muppets are continually recycled into different characters - Mopatop's being a good example - do you count those once or twice. Even when a puppet isn't really rebuilt but has a totally different identity, does it get counted once or twice (example: Cookie Monster vs. Arnold) You can decide to leave out Wubbulous World but then you have puppets used in that show that made crossovers into other productions.

And then there's the Whatnots/Anything Muppets - do you include everytime a new Muppet is made up from an AM even if it's just as a one-time background extra?

Good luck to anyone who ventures down such a path!
  19. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

I say count it all. Everything. Including all Henson Alternative projects. Don't let legal technicalities preclude "Muppet"ness.

Maybe put the breaks on Sid the Science Kid and Dinosaur Train, given those are cgi. Heck at this point I'm going to now include Dinosaurs(tho I wouldnt count Storyteller, Labyrinth or Dark Crystal)

Recycled puppets I would say counts, including each incarnation.
    Goodness knows Puppet Up/Stuffed Unstrung is recycling puppets from so many different kids shows and obscure one off productions. Wubbulous World is tough, as its part of the Dr Seuss canon. Yet, as you said, it definitely has recycled characters and is quite Muppety.

Some characters began as not being a Muppet(like Jerry Nelson's Puss n Boots) but later were acknowledged as Muppets.