1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

How much does it cost to have someone actually make you a puppet?

Discussion in 'Puppet News' started by Movies205, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Movies205

Movies205 New Member

I want make an orignal puppet but don't think it come out good so does anyone know where and how much it cost for an orignal puppet?(not any of the muppets)
  2. pdbooch

pdbooch New Member

I guess that all depends on size, materials, time it would take to make.
    If you wanted say a Kermit size puppet, that could cost roughly $150-$200 dollars. But a puppet like Gonzo, with the amount of sculpting involved, could be much more. The cost could be less ($20 or so) if the puppet you wanted was more of a "toy size," like the old FisherPrice Muppet puppets from the 70's.

That's just my thought on the matter. Hope it helps!

patrick
  3. CB Boy

CB Boy New Member

If you need a custom-made puppet you should maybe talk to Buck Beaver's company because they do that kinda thing. I don't know if they are still building puppets for other people, but if they aren't they can give you the name of someone who can and will give you a good price.

I'm not totally unbiased because I do alot of work on their website, but I think they do pretty spiffy work (they built the moose in my avatar). I think puppets cost anywhere from $100 - $5,000 in Canadian $ depending on what u want.

Their website is located at http://www.omlemedia.com/puppetshop. There's not many samples of their work up right now but you can email them at chractershop@omlemedia.com too.
  4. Movies205

Movies205 New Member

I actually want a pretty simple puppet along the lines of the Cookie Monster... It for my movie something along the lines of the cookie monster is really what I'm looking for...
  5. Luke

Luke Active Member

You oughta talk to Terry Angus, who was a puppeteer on Fraggle Rock and often posts his Ebay auctions of puppets for sale here.
  6. Movies205

Movies205 New Member

Can you give me an E-mail?

?????
  7. Luke

Luke Active Member

Nope, but go to the member directory 'Members' at the top of this page next to 'FAQ' and he is listed as 'Butchcat' - you can email him through that !
  8. Movies205

Movies205 New Member

thX!

Thanks
  9. Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt New Member

Hey Movies205-

You might also want to check out this post from a few months ago (if you're looking for a Muppet-Style puppet).

I can personally recommend Armslength Productions. They make fantastic hand-and-rod puppets that are very easy to manipulate.

Good Luck!

- Billy :cool:
  10. Movies205

Movies205 New Member

hmm I've look at these sites and none really have what I'm looking for... Which is basically a really simple puppet, a Cookie Monster Style puppet...
  11. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Well-Known Member

Try Monster Puppets - they sell alot of "Cookie Monster-like" puppets. I'd search on ebay under "Monster Puppet" though since they auction alot of them off there and you might be able to get a deal.

Another company I really like is Diablo Puppets in Montreal Quebec. They sell alot of googly-eyed puppets like C.M. - I bought a great little cow puppet off them in Toronto this fall for $25 (canadian). Don't be fooled by the limited number of puppets on the website, email them and ask for the latest catalogue which has tons of stuff in it I am told.

Finally, you should give Marlene Reimer at Puppets For Goodness Sake a call toll free at 1-888-300-1400 or email her at puppets4gfs@aol.com -she sells a good blue furry monster puppet and her prices are great. Tell her Omle Media sent `ya!!
  12. Ryan

Ryan New Member

I *Rully* second that! Great puppets, as well as great mouth grip. He's very reasonable too.
  13. punkNpuppets

punkNpuppets New Member

what about Noreen Young? she can make custom built puppets wicked good. but they cost 1000 dollars. i saw that price i wuz like "Holy crap!!!!!!!!!"
  14. Blink

Blink Member

Ya punkNpuppets,

Noreen Young has some amazing puppets. At first $1000 CAN may seem like a lot but you must think of it in these terms. You are commitioning a one of a kind sculpture (all be it foam and rubber). You ever see how much some paintings go for? Geeeez, I couldn't imagine paying that money for some of the stuff I have seen. But one of her puppets is a different story.

As for Movie205, buying a puppet is not as simple as one might think. There are so many options and prices what is a person to do. It may also help to think of buying a puppet like buying a car. The higher priced ones have limted runs (not as massed produced as some other models). There are often better quality materials used in the higher priced cars. Then there is the prestige of owning a car by a certain manufacturer. Much of the same can be said about puppets.

It depends on what you want to use use puppet for (just like your car). Do you just want the basics (no power windows, not cassette player, no A/C) or do you want some options, but not too many? Or are you looking to buy a special type of car just because you really want one?

Is $1000 CAN a lot of money? Sure it is. Would I spend $1000 CAN on a few items of really nice clothes? No (I'm pretty thrifty when it comes to clothes). Would I spend the same $1000 CAN on a puppet by Noreen Young. You bet (but that is only because I would really like to have one).

My suggestion is to shop around. Try on some puppets. I have tried a few puppets from builders that people are talking about on this post, and I know that some people's opinions are very different from my own on what a great puppet is. No doubt your optinions could be equally different from them or from me.

Figure on a price range (this is how much I am willing to spend), and stick to it. Find a puppet builder who can work in your price range. Then you might just have to take a leap of faith.

Finally there is always the option of trying to make your own. If it doesn't work out for you at least you might learn something about what you don't want in a puppet.

Best of luck in your journey,

Blink