1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

How rare is a Super 8 version of TMM?

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by panmanthe2nd, Aug 22, 2010.

1. panmanthe2nd

panmanthe2nd Active Member

Hi :)

A second hand shop near me is selling a 'Super 8' of 'The Muppet Movie' for £35.

How rare is it?

On Muppet Wikia it says "UK Super 8 home movie film release. Running time: unknown. Contains significant number of shots and alternative aduio tracks that didn't make it into the final movie".

Does that mean it has clips that aren't on the DVD?

Thank you.
  2. panmanthe2nd

Doesn't anyone know anything about this?
  3. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Wish I knew. Heck, at that price I'd nab it up if I had the funds. It would be nice to watch the film on film in one's home. I vote to get it! :)
  4. GonzoLover85

GonzoLover85 Member

I'm with Jamie on this one.
    Pick it up and even if it doesn't have any extra footage. How many people can say they have a Super 8 version of the film?
    Actually, if you don't want it for yourself. Would you be willing to pick it up anyway and ship it to Canada? Obviously I'd pay for it and shipping.
  5. panmanthe2nd

Thanks frogboy4 and GonzoLover85! I'll try and get it. :)

I might keep it, or I might send it to you, GonzoLover85.
  6. MuppetDanny

MuppetDanny Well-Known Member

There is indeed deleted footage in this super 8 verison and on UK PAL VHS.

In the super 8 version lasts about 18 mins long cut down from feature length and it features some deleted stuff mostly alternative audio tracks, an extra verse of "I Hope That Something Better Comes Along" can be seen. It also has a close up shot of Elliott Gould which far as I know has never been seen on any video format again.

On VHS (either from Virgin or Place Video) lasted a few minutes longer than in America print which has some of the extra scenes included a slightly longer comedy club performance from Fozzie including a longer dance number with Kermit, a short opening and closing speech from Doc Hopper on his French Fried Frogs Legs commercial, a longer conversation between Doc Hopper and Max before they encountered Kermit and Fozzie in the rainbow-painted Studebaker, Dr. Teeth gives a more in-depth reading from the script, and an extra verse of "I Hope That Something Better Comes Along." Also in this version of the film, the Muppets' conversations during the end credits can be heard more clearly over a quieter, and different closing theme.
  7. GonzoLover85

GonzoLover85 Member

Very cool. Let me know what you decide to do with it!
  8. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I think the major problem is if you want to really know the actual value of the Super 8 print, you'd need to talk to some film appraiser or something like that.

But hey, anything on actual film is pretty rare to begin with. It's not something you can stumble upon so easily, even with the internet. Not many people would have had access to something like that. And if it indeed has lost footage, then it should be sent directly to Disney after someone buys it to release a super Special edition of TMM.
  9. panmanthe2nd

The Super 8 version is only 18 mins long?
  10. panmanthe2nd

I went to the second hand shop today to buy it, but it was closed. The sign on the door said it is reopening September 13th. I'll go back then.
  11. GonzoLover85

GonzoLover85 Member

Hopefully it's still there when it reopens.
  12. SeanC

SeanC Member

Super 8 films were generally chopped down from the full length versions. It was a home film format in the pre-VCR days, and for a long time would have been the only way to 'own' a film ( or at least a portion of it ) without having a copy of the actual 35mm prints. They could be played on the same projector that you watched your home movies on. Lots of films were available in this format, although by the time of 'The Muppet Movie' in 1979, Super 8 was pretty much a dying breed. VHS and Camcorders just about killed it off, although I'm sure there's still enthusiasts out there. Little history of the format:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_8_mm_film
  13. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

I just had the opportunity to see a print of the Super 8 version of the Muppet Movie. It's rather interesting as, in addition to deleted scenes from the UK VHS release, it also includes several alternate takes. Quite a few scenes that had background music in the finished film are shown with no music. What's also interesting is that all of the celebrity cameos are included (with the acception of Big Bird). Doc Hopper and Max only have one scene (!). It's the scene where they get pie cream all over their car and accidentally shoot Gonzo's balloons out of the sky, with Doc saying "No frog's gonna make a monkey out of me!". In addition, all of Sweetums' scenes are gone, save for one brief shot at Mad Man Mooney's.

The Swedish Chef's line "Flim is rolling" is added after Kermit says "roll film!". This was a nice way to get the Chef into this cut-down, as the "intermission" sequence isn't included. Dr. Teeth's line "I hear this movie is dynamite!", along with Crazy Harry's response are shown at the end of the film. In addition, the opening title is taken directly from the theatrical trailer, rather than the film itself.

In short, the Super 8 print doesn't always make a whole lot of sense, but it is a nice little oddity.
  14. Mo Frackle

Looking at the Super 8 print again, I noticed that not only is Big Bird's cameo cut, but so is Cloris Leachman's cameo. Otherwise, all of the cameos are included.
  15. panmanthe2nd

Thanks for your review Mo Frackle!
    I also now have a copy of this (on DVD).
  16. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

Do you have the Super 8 version?
  17. panmanthe2nd

I have a transfer of the Super 8 on DVD.

But not a real Super 8 yet :(
  18. Mo Frackle

I've posted the Super 8 version on Youtube. Enjoy!

Part 1:

Part 2:
    Mr.Penguin and Muppet fan 123 like this.