1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

How rare is this poster?

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by PickerGreg, Aug 20, 2014.

1. PickerGreg

PickerGreg New Member

Hello, new to the forum, long time fan of the Muppets!

I joined this forum because I was hoping someone could tell me about this poster I bought. Is it rare? Valuable? I can't find it anywhere.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance! Any help will be much appreciated.

panmanthe2nd likes this.
  2. Stulz

Stulz Active Member

I would say it's pretty rare. I've been collecting for over 30 years and have never seen it. It looks huge! What are the dimensions?

Valuable - depends. I can see a rip and a few folds and creases.
    Are you asking for resale purposes?

Great find, how did you come across it?

3. Kermieuk

Kermieuk Well-Known Member

Seen one on eBay last year as part of a lot, would of bought the poster but they would only sell as a lot. It's a great pic.

Chris

4. PickerGreg

PickerGreg New Member

Blah. I wish I knew the value. How often do you see Miss Piggy in her underwear? If I do plan on selling it (prob not), it would be helpful to know a ballpark number. I don't want to later find out its worth $80 or more.

As far as the size, I can measure it later if you want. It's big, almost as large as a door frame. And yes, it does have one rip, but luckily it's on the bottom of the poster. If I frame it you wouldn't even notice :)

And I got it at AT THE VERY END of an Estate sale! No one even bought it!

5. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

It is obviously valuable here on Muppet Central Forum, I am betting you could get at least $100. Elsewhere, I doubt it, maybe a poster collector would want one, though since it is from 1981, and since I have never seen this photo in my life, I am betting it is worth something.

6. PickerGreg

PickerGreg New Member

Woah, really? Do you have any advice on who I could ask for a definite price? Could it be worth over $250? 400?! :D

7. DutchMuppet

DutchMuppet Member

Realistically, you can ask what you want for it. I see these doorposters in mint condition on ebay for 100 bucks. Problem is they are there for a very long time. If you want big bucks for it, you can't just put it on ebay because there you won't get it. You must sell it at a muppet convention or on this website. And if you must consider that you maybe even won't sell it fast. Because this poster isn't even in mint condition (and condition is everything in the selling world), I probably would sell it for 30-50 dollar. And I wouldn't want to buy it because of the giant rip at the bottom and scratches all over the poster. But you have luck, because the photo is rare. I have seen it sell in normal poster size for 15 bucks. This one is bigger so I think it's worth 30-50 bucks. But maybe there's a die-hard fan who wants to pay 100 dollar for it. Some-one who wants a Piggy poster and doesn't have one, can get it for 10 dollar from ebay. So you must find a fan who wants this photo. Good luck at selling ;)

8. PickerGreg

PickerGreg New Member

Sadly, that is probably the most realistic answer.... :p

I'll probably just keep it in my collection, maybe in 50 years it will be easier to sell :D

And do Muppet Conventions even exist? haha?

Anyway, thanks everybody! Very helpful

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  9. Reevz1977

Reevz1977 Well-Known Member

Niiiiice Poster!! Realistically, it would sell for between $1 and $1000. I'm not trying to be flippant but there isn't really a price guide as such on Muppet products. From experience, I've paid £15 for a poster and seen one go for £80. On the flip side I've paid £100 for something I've seen go at £10. Theres a large degree of luck with selling this stuff I'm afraid

10. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

11. PickerGreg

PickerGreg New Member

Thanks :) Maybe I'll put it on Ebay for like $100 and see if anything bites. Otherwise I'll just keep it.

I just think its valuable because isn't the Muppets suppose to be a kids thing? And yet here you have Miss Piggy in lingerie. LOL (I know its not meant for kids, but its almost like seeing Toy Story be sexy... You wouldn't see that today.)

12. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

The Muppets are for all ages, but most people seem to think they are only for kids. Jim Henson had a big battle to launch "The Muppet Show" as a prime time family show and America knocked him back and he had to do it with English backing, when it became a hit. And don't forget the pilot was called Sex and Violence !!

13. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

Getting really tired of this whole Muppets are for kids thing now. I swear if I have to keep posting that radio interview of Kermit I will.:rolleyes:

Muppetboy09 and sesamemuppetfan like this.
  14. sesamemuppetfan

sesamemuppetfan Well-Known Member

So am I. You have no clue how many times I've been laughed at for being an obsessed Muppet fan during middle school and the beginning of high school! There have been people who accepted my interest in them, but all those other people who have "moved on and watch age appropriate stuff"...ugh! Personally, I think it's due to that whole nonsense of people considering Miss Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Rowlf, Scooter, etc. as Sesame Street characters. That whole factor really perturbs me!

15. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

For what it's worth - that would have come out when i was nine years old and had my eyes peeled for any and all Muppet stuff and have never seen that poster or picture before.

16. PickerGreg

PickerGreg New Member

Hey I posted it on Ebay for $150. My mind keeps going back and forth between "Is that too much or too little????" But I think $150 is somewhere in between.......right? lol.

The reason I care so much is because I bought it at an Esate Sale with $180 worth of other things. I basically gave/threw everything else away and this is the only thing that I can make my money back on.

I definitely don't want to sell it for $50 because I couldn't even find an imagine of it on Google.

Am I asking too much? It does have condition issues....

17. Reevz1977

Reevz1977 Well-Known Member

Good luck, I'll be intrigued to see what it goes for.

BTW, is yours the house from "Risky Business"? I can visualise Tom Cruise skidding behind that Miss Piggy poster in the second image down :)

18. JJandJanice

JJandJanice Well-Known Member

I do like this poster and do find it cool. But honestly, speay for myself as both a collector and huge Muppets fan, I would not pay a good deal of money on that considering it's condition. It's pretty far from "mint" or even "near mint" and as already mentioned condition is everything on the collectables market. It's kind of a pet peeve of mine when people think just because something is rare than condition doesn't matter as much, but in reality that's when condition matters MOST.