How thin is acceptable?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You know what's been bugging me? People who are slim, slendar, fit, and are still considered to be "too fat" to be "acceptable".

You all have seen that commercial, haven't you? A mom in a red robe, fixing up the fireplace, her little girl sneaking down the stairs, seeing this person at their fireplace and exclaiming "Santa!", and the announcer saying "NOW you regreat all those holiday cookies" when the gal isn't even all that fat!

Then there's the commercial with that lady eating that special Cheerios cereal, and her husband trying to comment on the box but saying the wrong things as if he's suggesting she's eating the cereal to lose weight... she's not completely "Slim Jim", but she's not exactly a "Fat B@s+@rd" either.

Then there's people you know, they're much thinner than you are, and you're all "gosh, how do you do it", while they're all "man, I'm so huge, why can't I get rid of these ten extra pounds?"

It's almost like saying Barney Fife is too fat and needs to drop some weight. I mean, honestly, how thin do you have to be in order to be considered acceptable in society today?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The media and fashion industry do not always live in the real world like the rest of us, hehe. They set an ideal and behave as though it's normal, though they know it isn't. They just know it's what many people want to see.

Beakerfan

Reaction score
You know, my aunt was commenting on this not too long ago (she's an ICU nurse). Now, I weigh 130 lbs, but she told me that on my hospital chart, I would be marked as "obese" because my body fat is much higher than the recommended amount....... (she wasn't being mean, please note this is taken out of context)

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well I was told that while I am not hugely overweight, my weight is too high for my height. So yeah, it's all relative.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You know, my aunt was commenting on this not too long ago (she's an ICU nurse). Now, I weigh 130 lbs, but she told me that on my hospital chart, I would be marked as "obese" because my body fat is much higher than the recommended amount....... (she wasn't being mean, please note this is taken out of context)
Wow. You know something? I'm marked just the opposite. I mean, at the moment, I AM quite overweight (I was shocked into disbelief upon hearing the other week that I'm four pounds away from being 300), HOWEVER, because of my body type, and bone structure (apparently I would normally have a rather athelitic build), my ideal weight is actually set at like 225... so medically, if I was at my ideal weight, I'd be "normal", but according to society, I'd still be "obese" then, wouldn't I?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well I was told that while I am not hugely overweight, my weight is too high for my height. So yeah, it's all relative.
Yeah, I was told that by my doctor that I'm "overweight, and underheight", but the problem is, I come from a short family. My mom's been 4'10'' for the better part of... well... her entire life, my dad has shrunk to look almost like Colonel Potter, meanwhile I've been at 5'7'' for the last four years, but apparently an average person at my age and with my build, I'm supposed to be at least a little over six feet. *Shrug*

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well being healthy isn't just about losing weight. It's also about building muscle. So for men especially, you can weight a large number, but if it's all muscle, it's not as bad as all fat. And that is true of women too.

Beakerfan

Reaction score
so medically, if I was at my ideal weight, I'd be "normal", but according to society, I'd still be "obese" then, wouldn't I?
Actually, I don't think you would. If that's your ideal weight, then it would be pretty obvious that you weren't fat. Trust me, society is much more forgiving towards "athletic" or "stocky" builds in men than they are towards women....

BeakerSqueedom

Reaction score
Actually, I don't think you would. If that's your ideal weight, then it would be pretty obvious that you weren't fat. Trust me, society is much more forgiving towards "athletic" or "stocky" builds in men than they are towards women....

Agreed.