1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

How to build a full body puppet

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by da web croniclz, May 30, 2011.

1. da web croniclz

da web croniclz New Member

Hey guys, this is Da Web Croniclz! I was looking around the forum and pretty much found some threads on how to make a full bodied puppet, but it seemed that no one really was explaining it the way I expected them to(no offense). So this is the thing. I'm trying to make a bird puppet that looks similar to big bird or abelardo montoya from "Plaza Sesamo". I already know how to make the outside of the puppet(when it comes to glueing/stitching on the feathers), but I am basically looking for how to make the skeleton of the puppet. I've heard that big bird has hoops that make up his shape, but what kind of hoops? What kind of fabric should I use?
  2. Adam Kreutinger

Adam Kreutinger Active Member

This might be a good starting point for you.

~Adam
    da web croniclz likes this.
  3. da web croniclz

First off I love your wolf puppet, it looks pretty cool. But I did see that video. The bird looks good, but I want something with more of a width in his waist(like big bird, bear in the big blue house, etc). But it is good though for a first time full body puppet.
  4. Jinx

Jinx Member

As with all puppet-making materials, there are no hard and fast rules.This is why you are not likely to find a ready-made step-by-step guide to what you seek.

I have seen contouring hoops made of everything from rattan to nylon tubing to thin wire. I've also seen elaborate under-costumes with wedges of foam rubber used to fill out a character's shape. The design (i.e. shape) of the character will steer most of the decision of which material to use.

The common denominator is to find something that is strong but lightweight. If it is easy to work with, so much the better.

Good luck!
  5. da web croniclz

I've never heard of a hoop made of rattan, it seems not to be as lightweight as tubing or nylon. I may use foam rubber. I have realized that there sre very few fast/hard rules about this sort of topic, but I will find something that is lightweight to support the character. Thanks!
  6. da web croniclz

Would 14 gauge galvanized wire work?
  7. Adam Kreutinger

Adam Kreutinger Active Member

8. da web croniclz

That looks like it'll work. I'll try buying it offline. Thanks!
  9. puppetise

puppetise Member

how about this its mine

shoo and Adam Kreutinger like this.
  10. da web croniclz

OMG! That is insanely impressive bro! Did you use boning for his interior?
  11. puppetise

puppetise Member

i used foam and flexable plastic strips i will post my how to and scetches soon
  12. da web croniclz

Ok, that sounds good bro! Thanks!
  13. da web croniclz

Does anyone know a specific pattern for the skeleton for the body? Also how do I put arms on the body if the body is made of hoops?
  14. da web croniclz

Hey, does anyone know how to make the feet of a full bodied puppet. Is it made of leather, or rubber like a shoe? I need to know because I have a future project coming up and it's going to be done sooner than later.
  15. da web croniclz

Sorry for all the questions guys but I have this picture I made of the final design. Me and my bro designed the bird(when it comes to the color of the whole body)[​IMG] Tell me what you guys think and also (if you can) give me some good tips about the pattern of the upper body.
  16. da web croniclz

17. The Shoe Fairy

The Shoe Fairy Active Member

Puppetise, your full body is brilliant!
  18. da web croniclz

IKR it's awesome!
  19. da web croniclz

20. Don Music

Don Music New Member

Great work, Puppetise... I'm eagerly awaiting your full-body how-to! I recently signed on to build a full-body puppet for a short film having no idea how I would tackle it. Any chance you could post pictures of the inside too!?

Thanks!