How to format live shows

charlie bird

Reaction score
Hi all
I've been wondering how to put togather a live puppet show from scratch with one puppeteer.I make, perform ,and do the voices of all of my characters.:busy:......................

I am full of ideas ,but it is so hard to put it all togather .I
am intristead mostly in blacklight performanes
so I thoughte it mighte be nice to post some of the desighns I have for stages ,and puppets .

I have several questions here they are

-how to desighn a consistent flow in the script to make it come togather

-how to make yourself... um...........be able to book shows (who can you avertise your'e shows to and how?)

-how to make the stage full with only one puppeteer

Thats it so far
thank you

crazy chris

Reaction score
i am totally stoked that you have such a passion for puppetry charlie!

my method of script writing is starting with a basic idea.... lets say...umm... a musical about insects...

think about where you want the story/show to begin and end... and write them down in a word document... then think of basic steps/ideas to get from point A to point B... once you have a basic outline... consider each point on your outline a different ACT... and begin writing more and more detail....layering in dialogue...jokes...etc... that fit that particular act... it doesnt have to be structured.... just think of as many things as you can and write them under the heading of each act.... then go back and trim the fat... throw away anything that just doesnt seem to work or fit....

before you know it...you have several solid ideas for each act.... and then like mortar between brick...you fill in the gaps of each act with fully detailed dialogue that has a point... and flows smoothly.... it will not happen overnite...and u will most likely think about it for days and days...maybe weeks and months.... but simply write down every thought u have and see what sticks

now...to answer other questions...

social networks work great...atleast in our case....and i recommend creating a sleek media pack... which outlines who you are... pictures of your shows/puppets ...package pricing... and possibly a short dvd or a link to a site that might have a small sampling of what you do....dont give too much away....just a tiny sample...

its very tricky with just one puppeteer... id recommend finding a good friend...or someone who you feel has potential to help you.... its always good to have an extra set of hands... even if its just to help carry stuff...haha

cc

charlie bird

Reaction score
Thank you so much Chris !I'm sure your'e glad to have such great help!I'll definently be writing my script this time instead of a more improvised method.Also I have not ever charged for my shows ,so it suprised me verry much that I was given a check for a three day bible school of $100!I just love performing and making puppets.I'll definetly look into making a web sight of my puppets.
thank you

charlie bird

Reaction score
TRUE! lololol

cc

ps- charlie... proud of ya man! i dont do it for the money either... but THAT money can make alot more puppets! hee hee
true:big_grin:yep thats what I use my money for !
If you send me youre email I could show you some neat pics of my puppets.I've been making a giant ground hog recently ,still on the foam part ,but I'm making my own patterns,so....its harder:eek:.I'll post on my progress

crazy chris

Reaction score
true:big_grin:yep thats what I use my money for !
If you send me youre email I could show you some neat pics of my puppets.I've been making a giant ground hog recently ,still on the foam part ,but I'm making my own patterns,so....its harder:eek:.I'll post on my progress
sounds good!

djcc2000@aol.com

cc

charlie bird

Reaction score
As I mentioned in the first part of this thread I am begining to like having alot of blacklight puppets in my show.I found A great tutorial at http://www.puppetsinmelbourne.com.au/faq.php/2008/10/30/how-to-make-a-blacklight-puppet.
I made a awsome blacklight mask puppet that can move its mouth and partially blink I think I mighte write a tutorial on how to make it including pictures
If someone wants to figure out how I made it feel free to ask ,then I'll definently make a tutorial
thank you

charlie bird

Reaction score
I sent you an email with all of the puppet pictures.I hope you like them,Thank you