1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

How to make a puppet Stand?

Discussion in 'Puppet News' started by greenman, Dec 20, 2005.

1. greenman

greenman New Member

I was wondering what people use for puppet stands to display their puppets. I need to make one that is easy to construct. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Joe :)
  2. GeeBee

GeeBee New Member

How to make a puppet stand?

If it's a patriotic puppet, just start singing the Star Spangled Banner.

:attitude:

Sorry about that.

;)
  3. ravagefrackle

ravagefrackle New Member

what ever works really, most i have seen have been made with 1" to 3/4" dowels inserted into a wooden base, about 8" to 12" inches across(circle or square doesnt really matter .

at the top , many people will make a soft tip to prevent damaging the inside of the puppet, wrap a piece of foam around it, and cover it in spandex or someother stretchy material,
  4. Phantom

Phantom New Member

I actually use a 4" or 6" square of MDF board with a pipe flange mounted to it. I then take a PVC threaded coupling, a section of PVC pipe (1-1/2") then place a PVC cap over the end. You don't even have to glue it up and the threaded part makes it disassemble--uhm--able. (Okay, so that isn't a word.)
  5. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

This is the way I make mine.
  6. spcglider

spcglider Member

For temporary stands I usually just glue a sturdy cardboard tube (you can get tons of cardboard tube from your local carpet store... varying width and thickness) to a foam-core or gator-board base.

Normally I measure out the length of the puppet and make the stand just an inch or so shorter so the fabric touches the base and gets a natural fold to it. I just like that look.

The great thing about using carpet tubes is that you can cut them longer of you want to do a tier effect with your display. just make the back tubes longer than the ones in front.

If you're going to be storing an displaying puppets like this for a long time, I suggest going to your local art supply store and getting some acid-free paper and wrap the tube in it before you put the puppet on. Just as a precaution to avoid discoloring your puppet.

-Gordon
  7. MGov

MGov New Member

I had some left over 3/4 inch plywood from building cabinets. Cut that down to squares, drill a hole close to the middle, a flat head wood screw and a 1 inch dowel.
  8. Melonpool

Melonpool Member

There's a type of paper towel stand that I've bought int he past that basically amounted to a 14-inch pole in a 8-inch round base. I bought a bunch of them at IKEA at one time, but can't seem to find them on their site.

Anyway, they work great for displaying the puppets if you can find them. Maybe on ebay?

Steve
  9. pjspuppets

pjspuppets New Member

My puppet stand

This one's not portable, but it's the stand I use in my puppet workshop to hold the puppets I'm currently working on. As far as I know, it's unique.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pjspuppets/album?.dir=3ce3&.src=ph

First, I made L-shaped pieces out of pvc pipe and elbows -- any size would work, I guess. Then, I drilled holes into a board the size of the PVC pipe. I used a drill attachment that cuts big holes. The holes will be just a little bit bigger than the pipe so it slips in and out easily. Then, I bolt the board to the wall (into the studs). The L-shaped pieces slide in and out of the holes to take puppets down and put them up... gravity holes them in place.

Clear as mud?

Pat
    PJ's Puppets
  10. pjspuppets

pjspuppets New Member

correction

That should be "gravity HOLDS them in place..." oops...

Pat
  11. Phantom

Phantom New Member

My "team" does a similar thing in our "puppet room" but we use 45s instead of 90s (degree elbows). They stick out further, but we can get more puppets per square inch of wall space. If you count all the crappy cheap store bought puppets I "inherited", I'm storing 35-40 puppets not counting the ones in members homes.

Just a thought.
  12. jeffkjoe

jeffkjoe New Member

The simplest way is to BUY one.

A doll stand, to be more exact. They sell them at any craft store, like A.C. Moore, Michaels, etc.

Just ask a salesperson where the doll stands are. They have different heights - 7", 12".

I use one for my vintage Grover puppet and one for my 12" Batman figure.

Both work well. Not expensive either.
  13. gfarkwort

gfarkwort Member

But those are small and not as good, and can fall over with the weight of the puppet......so pvc pipe is usually better and sturdier....
  14. Muppetsdownunder

Muppetsdownunder New Member

I use a big lump of foam and shove it into the puppet and it stops it from getting squashed when being transported and also helps it stand up until I can find the time and room to make a proper stand.

Depending on the size of your puppets, if you have small gove type puppets, Folkmanis puppets make stands for their puppets mainly used for stores but they are good for home use too, if you have lots of puppets that would fit.
  15. Shaver80

Shaver80 New Member

New Puppet Stand!

I built this stand today and hope to get more built to display in my home office.

Here is a pic:

http://www.kidzministryz.com/Puppetrack.jpg

Thanks to PJ'S Puppets for the idea/concept. I modified their idea a bit.
  16. Fozzie Bear

Shaver, good idea. Forgot about that method. In a church I used to attend they had a HUGE puppetry room and had a ton of the smaller puppets up on the wall in the same fashion, had plastic bags over them to keep them from getting dusty; the bigger puppets were in crates stacked on the floor, and had a photo of the puppet on the outside of the box.
  17. TopperFraggle

TopperFraggle Member

I went down to the craft store and buoght an unfinished wooden plaque (don't know what they'e for but they look like you're supposed to paint some quaint saying on them, "Home is where the heart is" etc... and hang em on your wall) and a nice thick wooden dowel, the thickest they have available. Then you just cut the dowel to the appropriate size, do some drilling, and screw the dowel to the plaque. The larger plaques can accomodate like 4 seperate posts, so for like 12 bucks you can store 4 puppets. Don't know how that price compares to the PVC pipe method, but it's sure simple. Also I covered the end of the dowel , which is fairly rough, with a few layers of that "foamies" craft foam, just so the ends didn't snag on the puppet interior.
  18. TopperFraggle

TopperFraggle Member

Gee, wish I had read the other posts before I posted exactly what was said before. Oh well, at least someone else does it the same way I do- and Ravage Frackle no less. I'm honored :)
  19. Fozzie Bear

How to make a puppet stand?

TAKE AWAY ITS CHAIR!
    WOCKA WOCKA!!!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist it any longer! I wanted to do that joke since the first day I saw this thread and...well, I broke down. Sorry.) HAAAAA!
  20. Phantom

Phantom New Member

Lieutenant Dan, you got no legs...