How to make a puppet Stand?

greenman

Reaction score
I was wondering what people use for puppet stands to display their puppets. I need to make one that is easy to construct. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Joe :smile:

Censored

Reaction score
How to make a puppet stand?

If it's a patriotic puppet, just start singing the Star Spangled Banner.

:attitude:

Sorry about that.

:wink:

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
greenman said:
I was wondering what people use for puppet stands to display their puppets. I need to make one that is easy to construct. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Joe :smile:

what ever works really, most i have seen have been made with 1" to 3/4" dowels inserted into a wooden base, about 8" to 12" inches across(circle or square doesnt really matter .

at the top , many people will make a soft tip to prevent damaging the inside of the puppet, wrap a piece of foam around it, and cover it in spandex or someother stretchy material,

Phantom

Reaction score
I actually use a 4" or 6" square of MDF board with a pipe flange mounted to it. I then take a PVC threaded coupling, a section of PVC pipe (1-1/2") then place a PVC cap over the end. You don't even have to glue it up and the threaded part makes it disassemble--uhm--able. (Okay, so that isn't a word.)

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
ravagefrackle said:
what ever works really, most i have seen have been made with 1" to 3/4" dowels inserted into a wooden base, about 8" to 12" inches across(circle or square doesnt really matter .

at the top , many people will make a soft tip to prevent damaging the inside of the puppet, wrap a piece of foam around it, and cover it in spandex or someother stretchy material,
This is the way I make mine.

spcglider

Reaction score
For temporary stands I usually just glue a sturdy cardboard tube (you can get tons of cardboard tube from your local carpet store... varying width and thickness) to a foam-core or gator-board base.

Normally I measure out the length of the puppet and make the stand just an inch or so shorter so the fabric touches the base and gets a natural fold to it. I just like that look.

The great thing about using carpet tubes is that you can cut them longer of you want to do a tier effect with your display. just make the back tubes longer than the ones in front.

If you're going to be storing an displaying puppets like this for a long time, I suggest going to your local art supply store and getting some acid-free paper and wrap the tube in it before you put the puppet on. Just as a precaution to avoid discoloring your puppet.

-Gordon

MGov

Reaction score
I had some left over 3/4 inch plywood from building cabinets. Cut that down to squares, drill a hole close to the middle, a flat head wood screw and a 1 inch dowel.

Melonpool

Reaction score
There's a type of paper towel stand that I've bought int he past that basically amounted to a 14-inch pole in a 8-inch round base. I bought a bunch of them at IKEA at one time, but can't seem to find them on their site.

Anyway, they work great for displaying the puppets if you can find them. Maybe on ebay?

Steve

pjspuppets

Reaction score
My puppet stand

This one's not portable, but it's the stand I use in my puppet workshop to hold the puppets I'm currently working on. As far as I know, it's unique.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pjspuppets/album?.dir=3ce3&.src=ph

First, I made L-shaped pieces out of pvc pipe and elbows -- any size would work, I guess. Then, I drilled holes into a board the size of the PVC pipe. I used a drill attachment that cuts big holes. The holes will be just a little bit bigger than the pipe so it slips in and out easily. Then, I bolt the board to the wall (into the studs). The L-shaped pieces slide in and out of the holes to take puppets down and put them up... gravity holes them in place.

Clear as mud?

Pat
PJ's Puppets

pjspuppets

Reaction score
correction

That should be "gravity HOLDS them in place..." oops...

Pat