How to make an old man out of foam

Big Ben

Reaction score
hello i have recently got som thin foam sheets. i'm want to make a old grandpa puppet but i'm not quite sure how can some one help me figure out how to make a kindly old man out of thin foam. i shooting to make a full body puppet. please help a major beginner. i don't have enough money for the foam book. i'm wondering how to make the head at this point. all help would be greatly apreaciated.

puppets_etc

Reaction score
Start off by reading any and all posts here in the puppetry threads. There is bound to be somehthing here that will help. I'll see if I can find a link for you and post it. How thick is your foam sheet?

Deb:flirt:

Big Ben

Reaction score
Thanks its 1 inch thick and 18 inches long and wide. i have 3 sheets

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
All you have to make is the head and hands, clothes will cover the rest of the body.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
You could make the head as a foam sphere by patterning wedges out of the foam. I have a short tutorial on this posted here.

I hope that helps!

Ryan

Reaction score
Big Ben said:
Thank you guys very much.
1 inch may be a bit too thick for your first puppet. I'd go even slimmer for your first one, 1/2 inch foam works great.I can try to set up a pattern for the head for you. Email me at ryan200012@netscape.net if you are interested.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I've actually found that for most things, a medium density 3/4" foam is ideal. 3/4" is hard to find though and not usually stocked by fabric shops, camping stores or the other more common places to find foam. You would have to look up a foam supplier or manufacturer in your area or try finding a company that sells supplies for car upholstry.