1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

How to Make Puppet Eyes

Discussion in 'Puppet News' started by Kuriboh Man, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Kuriboh Man

Kuriboh Man Active Member

This had me wondering for a very long time.:confused: Can anyone tell me how to make a puppet eye? what materials will I need to make one? This may be helpful for me.:)
  2. wes

wes Active Member

Get creative use anything!!
  3. Kuriboh Man

Can you Give me an example Please?
  4. PuppetMom

PuppetMom New Member

You can use buttons, beads, marbles, fishing bobbers, ping pong balls...pretty much anything that is round & even remotely resembles an eye. I think what Wes was saying (hope I'm not overstepping myself here wes) was that there is no basic "use this" item for making puppet eyes...some people like ping pong balls, while others use buttons, etc. I am sure there are items out there that people use for eyes that I haven't even begun to think of yet...just wander through the sporting goods & hardware depts of your local Wal-mart & pretty soon you'll be coming up with all kinds of ideas for eyes!! Good luck!
  5. Kuriboh Man

WOW!! Thanks a whole lot.:)
  6. Punch'n'Judy

Punch'n'Judy New Member

Seeing as the shops are starting to fill up with seasonal goodies at the moment have a look for plastic tree decorations, plenty of different shapes and sizes available. Well worth stocking up.
  7. pjpiperhop

pjpiperhop New Member

I have used plastic spoons with the handle cut off and sanded for the white of the eye. I then added a round dot of felt for the pupil.
    Like everyone has said here, use your imagination. Come up with something unique.
  8. wes

wes Active Member

Ping Pong Ball is my favorite, I also use the wooden sphere or eggshape ones you can get from a craft store. But if i have a special puppet or any weird type puppet I go looking for it. I have been know to use soup ladels or what ever.
  9. RubbeRoomStudio

RubbeRoomStudio New Member

10. SJohnson

SJohnson Member

11. Greedo

Greedo New Member

I read that Rick Lyon used this custom-made machine that dispenses these "VacuuForm" eyeballs for his Ave. Q work. They're very high quality eyes, but I'm not sure if it's an easily attainable technique, machine, or material. Otherwise, I'd improvise on the eyes.

I have always marveled at the googly eye effect of Cookie Monster. How is this achieved?
  12. Kuriboh Man

wow! usually I use black felt for the pupils then attach it to the eye piece afterwards.
  13. Greedo

Greedo New Member

Ooo, for googly eyes?:insatiable:
  14. I think for googly eyes they have a pin attached to the pupil that limits the travel or an outside plastic casing...just guessing.

The hardest thing for me is cutting a ping pong ball in half evenly and smoothly....any tips for that?
  15. wes

wes Active Member

Here's a Good one I have a friend that has a Graphic Design place,(the places that makes lettering for windows and cars) the stuff he uses is Vinyl, almost like stickers, He made me three different sizes of pupils and all I had to do is pill and stick. the vinyl is very shiney and reflects the light great I used it on Winston puppet I just made.

If you can Find a Graphic Desing Place get you some He made me Like 50 pupils for like $20, I little expensive but pays off in the end.
  16. Kuriboh Man

Not Exactly, but just to give it a more muppet-like look if you know what I mean.
  17. Greedo

Greedo New Member

Gotcha:coy:
  18. Conor IX

Conor IX New Member

Sandpaper is the way forward. Cut with a scalpel. Scalpels have sharper blades than an exacto knife would have. Then use heavy grit sandpaper to get the ping pong balls to the right size, then fine grit to get them nice and smooth. Sandpaper is also key to getting the dunlop logo off the balls without smearing the ink, or wrecking the ball.
  19. daisygirl

daisygirl New Member

How can I make people eye for foam hand puppets