How to start making puppets?

Teenager's

Reaction score
I also recommend project puppet as a starting point. It opened my eyes to how puppet shapes are done & has really helped me learn to pattern my own basic shapes. It's an investment well made.

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
Hey Patience, I guess I'd misinterpreted what you'd said about having a good idea of pattern making to mean that you knew the basic idea of how to get the head done & just needed a size reference.

Yeah, I'd spring for a project puppet pattern. I got their glorified sock puppet & was pretty well pleased.

puppetsmith

Reaction score
Hi Patience! If you have any questions about any one of the Project Puppet patterns, I'd be happy to answer them. You can contact Project Puppet here. Or if you want to ask right here on the forum, I check periodically and can answer right here.

Nojoy

Reaction score
Project Puppet is defiantely worthwhile... start small, try one of the simple series. I'd recommend the Roly or the Pinhead pattern. A lot of great characters can be made from those two basic shapes.
If price is an issue, the Glorified Sock Puppet pattern is the cheapest design... and is the one that got my own feet wet with puppet building.
IMO, The Simple series is the way to get started.

propologist

Reaction score
Hi Patience,

As to a free head pattern, You can find that Here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41111968@N00/sets/72157602722672544/

This is the pattern I was giving away a few x-mas's a go.
But that being said if you really want to get to know puppet pattern making you are not going to find a better set of patterns to learn from than the projectpuppet.com patterns. You also get all the tips on how to better make your puppet. These are some of best sets of patterns you can currently buy to help new and experienced builders alike.

Hope this helps,
Propologist
Mike

Patience

Reaction score
Thank you ALL!.....

To all who answered, sorry I can't remember all the names right now (I'm sure that will come, eventually!)

:flirt: .......... (apparently I am limited to only 3 smilies, so you will have to visualize the other 11, I had to erase)

Can you tell I'm very happy? Can you feel the hugs? I hope that I will be able to repay the kindness of the many people who have responded to my plea.

O.K. I'm going to try what I have and go it alone for now and save $ for the Project Patterns. I can't ignore the assurances that they are worth the cost.

However, I also have another question about the PP Patterns. PinHead or Punta? :search: Which one should I save for? Is the Punta done by carving the head instead of using glue? With my FD experience, I won't need the pattern for the cover. I can drape and design, not something I enjoy, but I do know how.

I know the head should be attached to the neck and that should be attached to the waist (doing so would allow greater more natural movements). That wasn't demonstrated in any of the videos I watched. Any other hints?

I just thought of another question before I go back to bed (actually I haven't stopped thinking about puppets since I found this board). What size are the Project Puppet Patterns? I don't remember seeing a reference to size anywhere.

I can't wait until the 6 year old goes back to school tomorrow. Oophs! That doesn't sound like such a great Mom statement!

Thanks again to one and all!

I will post pictures (just as soon as I can)

P.

Nojoy

Reaction score

However, I also have another question about the PP Patterns. PinHead or Punta? :search: Which one should I save for? Is the Punta done by carving the head instead of using glue? With my FD experience, I won't need the pattern for the cover. I can drape and design, not something I enjoy, but I do know how.

I know the head should be attached to the neck and that should be attached to the waist (doing so would allow greater more natural movements). That wasn't demonstrated in any of the videos I watched. Any other hints?
Well,the Pinhead is in the "simple" series... and the "sock" of the puppet is used as the body (you could make a simple foam body for it, but imo the sock works just as well)...
The Punto is more complex to build, it is indeed made from sheets of foam cut and glued together rather than carving though... and it's pattern does include the foam body.
Really, it's a matter of personal choice...

Check out the gallery at PP for a lot of examples of each one, or (shameless plug) my own blog for a lot of "Simple" series puppets made not neccessarily so simply. These should give you a better picture of what your choices are for what you want to make.

Edit: The Simple series are roughly 13" tall from base to top of the head, and the Forma series 18" tall. YMMV.

puppetsmith

Reaction score
To all who answered, sorry I can't remember all the names right now (I'm sure that will come, eventually!)

:flirt: .......... (apparently I am limited to only 3 smilies, so you will have to visualize the other 11, I had to erase)

Can you tell I'm very happy? Can you feel the hugs? I hope that I will be able to repay the kindness of the many people who have responded to my plea.

O.K. I'm going to try what I have and go it alone for now and save $ for the Project Patterns. I can't ignore the assurances that they are worth the cost.

I just thought of another question before I go back to bed (actually I haven't stopped thinking about puppets since I found this board). What size are the Project Puppet Patterns? I don't remember seeing a reference to size anywhere.

I can't wait until the 6 year old goes back to school tomorrow. Oophs! That doesn't sound like such a great Mom statement!

Thanks again to one and all!

I will post pictures (just as soon as I can)

P.
Hi Patience. I believe Nojoy answered most of the questions dead on. The Forma patterns (including the Punto) are put together from sheet foam, not carved. You should have no problem, with your experience, draping the foam head to create a cover. You'll also be glad to know that the Forma patterns are constructed as you described, with a neck tube attached to the base of the body for more life like movement. (The Simple Series patterns do not employ that method because of their more simple design.)

The Simple Series patterns range from 13 to 15 inches from the base of the body to the top of the head. The Forma range from 15 to 18 inches, the Punto of course being the tallest.

My recommendation on which pattern would be best would hinge on the intended use for the puppet. Along with that may come some construction variations depending on the situation.

Patience

Reaction score
What material to use?

Thank you for your kindness and support as always!

I have 2 heads made (I used the helmet pattern for one and my own idea for the second). As soon as I get mouths figured out I will try to find a way to post pictures for ya'll.

Question about fabrics to use: The foam I was going to use (and the reason I started my journey into making Puppets) it turns out is of no use! It is 1" thick and too stiff to use! I tried! It didn't work! They also have it thicker but nothing I can use. (Any suggestions? :search: )

As a result, I went to the fabric store looking for 1/2" foam. Their's was very expensive! ($3.99/foot) I had the idea to go to the Dollar store and buy a couple of chair pads. But on the way I saw a carpet store! hummmm! I bought a yard of underpad for $13, it is 1/2" thick and has a nice smooth coating on one side. Anybody else try this?

If not what do ya'll use to try out your ideas?

I just want a couple of puppets for Church. But being the former FD'er I feel the need to do it right. If they don't look professional, I won't be satisfied. I'm saving for Punta!

Gotta go, naptime is just about up!

Patience

Nojoy

Reaction score
I bought a yard of underpad for $13, it is 1/2" thick and has a nice smooth coating on one side. Anybody else try this?
Most of the fleece covered puppets I make I end up using what the guy at the auto upholstery place calls "scrim"... It's pretty much the same thing you've gotten. 1/2" thick with a thin fabric backing. He sells it to me for around the same price, 12 to 13 bucks a yard.
In my experience it's fantastic for the simple series, but when it comes to the forma trio the fabric backing on the foam makes the head a bit too stiff, it loses a little flexibility.