How to start making puppets?

Patience

Reaction score
More Questions!

I hope to one day give more answers than questions :smile: In the mean time, here is my most recent list of questions:

1. If my puppet body with the head sitting on the body (very little built up neck) is about 19" how long should I make the arms and legs?

I used a pair of shoes from my youngest (she's soon to be 3 years) who wears a size 3 (shoes as well as clothes). I'm happy with the feet and the hands, used her hand to make a mitt pattern for size and then used that to make a 3 finger puppet hand.

2. The other problem (I mentioned in an earlier post) is the mouth. I made a mouth, got it 1/4 glued in before I realized it was too big. It didn't turn out so good. How do you measure to make a mouth?

P.

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
I'm a-ok on the non-freezing thing...(until we magically move me to Toronto)

As far as measuring a mouth, it really depends on how you're constructing the head first...Best thing I do is to cut a larger piece of fabric, pin that in to see if it will work, then slice it down from there. Then cut the mouth plate (in your case, the cardboard) to fit the fabric lining of the mouth.

IF the puppet's mouth is already sewn in, i flip it inside out & then cut out the piece that I need based on what I trace.

man, talk about clear as mud....

Patience

Reaction score
Mud!

Thank you, StacyRebecca

I used the free patterns to build heads out of paper. Doing so gave me a rough idea of how things should go together. After staring at hat patterns and my paper models for days, I free hand drew the head. It turned out pretty good until I ruined it by trying to put the mouth in.

Tonight I tried remaking the head, shouldn't start important projects overtired. I glued the mouth shut, because I figured it would be easier to glue the chin on while the head was still flat! and forgot to leave an opening! I had to slit his mouth open again! :embarrassed: Now his lips are jaggit! I'll work on fixing that at Naptime! that is if I think of a way to do so before that!:search:

Any ideas on how long to make the arms and legs?

Toronto isn't that cold (at least it wasn't today!). I usually wear the liner out of my jacket, but I don't stay out all that long.

I am sure the mud will clear. I'll have to watch those YouTube videos again.

Patience

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
You have to be careful with a hot wire cutter; it's melts the foam and gives off toxic fumes. Using any kind of heat on foam produces toxic results (won't necessarily kill you, but the chemicals are not good to be exposed to over a long period of time).

For mouth size, you have to measure the total diameter of the mouth opening on the puppet pattern and make sure it's the same as the diameter of the mouth (does that make sense?).

Patience

Reaction score
Mouth Pieces

Thank you Buck-Beaver! The "Mud thickens" but I actually think I understand what you are saying. Turns out I had it right, just didn't count on turning the "gums" in on my first attempt. Didn't realize I was going to do that until I started the glueing.

What do you use to make the "Mouth Plate", that Stacey-Rebecca referred to?

As I've already admitted I am a Perfectionist so I like to do things right. That attitude has gotten me into lots of trouble, but it has also helped me through as well. Did I mention the French Seams I put in the "Sleeve Cavity"?

Patience

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
oooo french seams! oh man i love french seams.

Mouth Plates can be made of anything that works. Usually cardboard, pliable plastic, or gasket rubber. usually its two pieces hinged with something else that's pliable, or its one piece that is scored.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
In the last couple years I have started using very flexible vinyl because it allows the puppet's face to be extremely expressive. This only works if the mouth plate conforms roughly to the dimensions of your hand though; for larger mouths I find it's usually best to use a more rigid material (any of the ones Stacey suggested work great).

Patience

Reaction score
My next question is: to hand sew or use the machine, to sew the "skin". (I really need to catch up on the proper lingo!)

I am ready to cover the foam of my first Puppet. I think he/she (not sure yet) is pretty much ready for this stage. I just can't decide which will be better/easier. I know better doesn't necessarily mean easier. But I'd like opinions, please!

Patience