How to start making puppets?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Hand sewing tends to give you better-looking results, but takes much, much longer. When you are covering a puppet with "skin" sometimes you have no choice but to sew certain sections by hand. The only thing I always sew in by machine is the puppet's mouth.

Patience

Reaction score
Hot Glue Tricks

At some point I said I wanted to give back, here goes:

These are tricks you may or may not already know about.

My GrandMother was a talented lady, she could make wonders out of nothing with food or fabric. She told me, if you dip your fingers in cold water before you touch Hot Glue, you wouldn't get burnt. (well not as bad anyway). The other thing she told me was: if you want to get rid of all those "glue hairs" pass over them with a hair dryer and the magically melt away.

Something I discovered is to use silicone when using Hot Glue. I have a silicone pot holder, which is worthless as a pot holder (because it also came from Dollarama, like the glue gun and the glue sticks!) but it is a great place to rest my hot glue gun when I'm not using it. The other day, I took out a silicone spatula and used that to spread the hot glue. It worked great and the dried glue just snaps off once set.

Hope this is useful to someone,:big_grin:

P

Patience

Reaction score
In Search Of Foam-Help!

O.K I finally found a place that didn't need to call me back. They have what I want and they are willing to sell it (even small quantities!). However, I couldn't answer enough questions to actually get it! I know I need the "Open Cell Foam with a 35 ppi" The guy said "yes but what density do you want?" I didn't know! Do any of you?

Please help, I feel so close to actually having a supplier, all I need is a little more info and I will be able to build puppets and share.

Thanks for any/all advice/help
I would greatly appreciate

P

CBPuppets

Reaction score
Okay I have a good one, how do I make it so the stitches on my puppet are well hidden and less revealing?

Patience

Reaction score
Kuriboh Man,

I can tell you the stitches but I will have to spend some time looking for a link to explain. Hand sewing is NOT my favorite part (when I was in Fashion, I paid to get someone else to do it for me!)

The stitches have to be small and close together to be truely hidden. If you dyed your puppet it may be worth your while to dye the thread. Upholstery thread is the strongest!.

That being said, use a WHIP stitch or a (sorry, I have an upset child) I can't think of the proper name, but it looks like the stitches on a football or baseball.

Sorry I don't have time (right now) to do the investing to find a good explanation. Hope this is enough to get you started.

Remember to take the stitches far enough in from the edge so the thread won't cut into the foam/fleece and pull out. Keep the tension fairly tight, but not so tight it rips out.

P

CBPuppets

Reaction score
I heard the Ladder Stitch helps. can you shed some light on that?

Teenager's

Reaction score
The guy said "yes but what density do you want?" I didn't know! Do any of you?
P
Hey Patience,

He means like half inch or 1 inch thickness.
Half inch is recommended.---Also does this place sell it in white?

Patience

Reaction score
Foam Density?

Hey Patience,

He means like half inch or 1 inch thickness.
Half inch is recommended.---Also does this place sell it in white?
Thanks for the suggestion, but that would just be too easy! I told him I wanted 1/2" foam in a 35 ppi, but he still wanted a Density Number. I guess I can't really tell you what I felt like saying! Because I think his personal DENSE-ity number was as high as Jethro! (if you get my meaning) (my hubby loves the old shows!). I'm suppose to find out and get back to him. I'll have to call the Scott people in the US to find out and then go back to DENSE-ity Man. Sorry, Teenager, we didn't get to talking color yet! It's on my list of questions! just as soon as I can get him past the DENS-ity issue!

For anyone in Canada, I spoke to the founder of the "Famous Peoples Players" today. She says they stopped using the Scott foam years ago! As a result, she couldn't tell me where to find it. She did tell me that she uses nothing but Upholstery foam (I have the name of that supplier) for all their stuff and even has some things that were made 30+ years ago!

Gotta go, if anyone can help with the DENS-ity issue I would greatly appreciate your input!

Thanks
P

Patience

Reaction score