How was C3PO operated?

Splurge

Reaction score
My friend thinks that in the Star Wars trilogy C3PO is operated with the actor inside the droid's suit, yet I was under the impression that C3P0 is being operated remotely off camera, while an actor wears wires or something, and when he moves the droid moves.

Which one of us is right? Even if it's both, or neither, let me know!

scarecroe

Reaction score
You're both right actually. In the original trilogy and Episode II, Anthony Daniels is inside the costume. In Episode I, because he's still naked and see-through and whatnot, he was operated by puppeteers (Daniels part-time, and others) in a green suit in front of a green screen. Much the way the Muppeteers used to do their black screen stuff. But they use computers to mask everything out now.

Splurge

Reaction score
I see. Thank you. Anthony Daniels must be very, very thin to fit into that costume. So thin, in fact, it's why I thought C3PO was being operated while Daniels was off camera.

scarecroe

Reaction score
Yeah, that's why he was chosen for the job in the first place all those years ago. He's made comments in his Star Wars Insider columns over the years about having to squeeze into it again after gaining a little weight in the waist, etc. It's a good thing he's stayed somewhat fit!

Beauregard

Reaction score
Originally posted by Splurge
Anthony Daniels must be very, very thin to fit into that costume.
Yeah but the person who does R2D2 must be very, very. short to fit in that coustum.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Uh... The person who is inside r2d2 is very short!

fluffmuppet

Reaction score
Unless its an animatronic??? Maybe it's Mini-me??
Sorry, just adding my brainless 2 cents. lol!

~fluff~

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think Kenny Baker was in Timebandits, but I'm not sure. If you seen it, these short guys steal the map of the universe or something like that. I caught a bit of it on TV a few weekends ago!

As for Vern Troyer (mini-me) I think he played a dog in a McDonaldland video. I remember reading how the suit was hot and the head was too big.