How was Pufnstuf operated?

muppetfan89

Reaction score
I was just watching some episodes of H.R. Pufnstuf and how was he operated? I mean it's clear that he's a costume puppet, but both arms were clearly moving and the mouth was moving along with the movements. So, how was that done, because I doubt back then they had the technology to operate him like the Gorgs.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Actually, there were two different costume puppets used for Pufnstuf.

One was operated like you were mentioning with his arms and hands clearly moving, while his head and mouth do too; I believe this is achieved by the puppeteer giving a bit of a bounce to the head so the mouth will open and close (haven't you ever notice it seems like Puf bobs his head when he talks sometimes).

The other had the arms completely stuffed, so they just basically hang there motionless, the head seemed to be operated almost like an actual puppet head, with more adequate lip-syncing; the puppet also had the eyes that could actually spin around in little circles, which was probably achieved with some kind of mechanism built into the head.

You can tell the difference between these two puppets, the first I mentioned has a smaller, triangular shaped head with shorter hair and a notch in its upper lip, while the second of the two has a large, rounder head with more brighter hair, and straight lips. The second has a rosier mouth inside as well, while the first's is a paler pink.

Just my thoughts.

muppetfan89

Reaction score
wow, I didn't know that. nor did I even notice. Is this is how Barney was operated? as well as the characters on Welcome to Pooh Corner and Dumbo's Circus?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I couldn't say about those shows, as I didn't quite get into them as much, as far Barney, I'm sure he might have worked in a similar fashion; he was a product of the 90s, and even then, television puppetry still had a large level of simplicity to it compared to today.

practicecactus

Reaction score
Barney looks to be radio controlled because his mouth has no real speed other than jabber. From memory I think his eyes move from side to side too.
Just to be a little controversial I like how Carrol Spinney says "Don't watch Barney". Because barney was purely a money making venture, whereas sesame street and all it's merchanidse in nonprofit.

CoOKiE

Reaction score
Barney and Welcome to Pooh's Corner, were both mechanical puppetry. Off stage puppeteers controlled the blinking eyes and mouth for the characters

muppetfan89

Reaction score
Barney and Welcome to Pooh's Corner, were both mechanical puppetry. Off stage puppeteers controlled the blinking eyes and mouth for the characters
I could see that for Barney. I'm surprised about Welcome to Pooh Corner, because they look very simplistic, like Pufnstuf.

Just my thoughts.

Melonpool

Reaction score
Just an unrelated side note --

The fabric store I go to sometimes in Marina Del Rey's owner (who has been in business there for over 40 years and has some of the wildest assortment of fabrics I've ever seen) told me that the Kroftts got all of their fabric for HR Pufnstuf from her back in the day.

If you're ever in LA, check out Lincoln Fabrics on Lincoln Blvd. It's the only place I've been able to find just about any color of 4-inch fur I can think of.

Steve