Howard Stern — Muppeteer?

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I could have put this in References thread, but I thought it deserved its own.

Radio talk show giant and "King Of All Media" Howard Stern this morning made some disparaging comments about the Muppets appearance on America's Got Talent at the top of the 8 o' clock hour. Claiming he did not want to see the Muppets on that show, he believed they were strictly children's entertainment. However, there was some bitterness and jealousy behind these comments.

"I was very interested in puppetry when I was a child" Stern said, explaining that as a kid, he had even enrolled in a program to learn how to build puppets. Anyone who has seen Howard's movie Private Parts might remember a particular scene that involved his interest in puppetry.

While in this puppet building course, an instructor recognized his talent, and sought him to be a part of a puppetry troupe that would travel the country. Stern was overjoyed at the notion and considered the opportunity to be his "break". Unfortunately, the funding dried up, and the show never took off.

Upon leaving college, Howard was still unsure of what to do with his life, and while radio was an option, puppetry was still his original dream. Howard then sent a letter to the one and only Jim Henson, who Howard claims responded! To Howard's utter dismay, he claims Jim said "Who's looking for you?", in a manner of not being very impressed with Howard's resume, to which Howard sadly agreed. Regardless, Howard was grateful for Jim to even reply at all. Howard did feel the only thing that separated him from Jim's hand picked puppeteers, was that they "wrote [Jim] first".

We all know where Stern's career eventually did take him, and his comments about the Muppets have never been positive, even so far as commenting today that he hates the Muppets. Still, it would appear that these are the statements of a jaded puppeteer, and I personally can't shake the idea, that if Howard Stern had been a little more persistent as a young performer, he may very well have become one of our beloved Muppeteers.

TacoKid

Reaction score
I just heard the comments on the West Coast Feed of the Stern Show on SiriusXM.

I've listened to Stern for years and rule number 1 is that when listening to him, take everything with a gigantic grain of salt.

He'll either forget he said it or if someone from Henson reaches out to him, he'll change his tune.

Basically, if someone doesn't love Howard, he doesn't love them.

It's the worse thing about the show but I tend to over look it.

Although today, he rather annoyed me with his comments about our beloved Muppets. So much so that I am here posting about it!

Edit = 4 post in 7 years! I'm on a break neck pace!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
From what we know of how Jim dealt with things (both in writing and in person) he was not a confrontational person. In fact there are many reports that he was that way to a fault. This letter could have been misinterpreted, sent by someone else on staff or just plain invented! Heck, if Howard really did send a letter who knows what it could have said? Maybe it was offensive.

Stern has his place in entertainment and I sometimes have found him funny, but everything he does is for the sake of pushing buttons. The truth is merely a pliable comedic device for Howard Stern. Admitting Muppet love wouldn't provide any value to him, but creating a circumstance where Howard was wronged by the Muppets would yield hours of entertainment. That's what this is.

I doubt he really takes anything personally anyway. He just wants ratings and something to talk about.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I could have put this in References thread, but I thought it deserved its own.

Radio talk show giant and "King Of All Media" Howard Stern this morning made some disparaging comments about the Muppets appearance on America's Got Talent at the top of the 8 o' clock hour. Claiming he did not want to see the Muppets on that show, he believed they were strictly children's entertainment. However, there was some bitterness and jealousy behind these comments.

"I was very interested in puppetry when I was a child" Stern said, explaining that as a kid, he had even enrolled in a program to learn how to build puppets. Anyone who has seen Howard's movie Private Parts might remember a particular scene that involved his interest in puppetry.

While in this puppet building course, an instructor recognized his talent, and sought him to be a part of a puppetry troupe that would travel the country. Stern was overjoyed at the notion and considered the opportunity to be his "break". Unfortunately, the funding dried up, and the show never took off.

Upon leaving college, Howard was still unsure of what to do with his life, and while radio was an option, puppetry was still his original dream. Howard then sent a letter to the one and only Jim Henson, who Howard claims responded! To Howard's utter dismay, he claims Jim said "Who's looking for you?", in a manner of not being very impressed with Howard's resume, to which Howard sadly agreed. Regardless, Howard was grateful for Jim to even reply at all. Howard did feel the only thing that separated him from Jim's hand picked puppeteers, was that they "wrote [Jim] first".

We all know where Stern's career eventually did take him, and his comments about the Muppets have never been positive, even so far as commenting today that he hates the Muppets. Still, it would appear that these are the statements of a jaded puppeteer, and I personally can't shake the idea, that if Howard Stern had been a little more persistent as a young performer, he may very well have become one of our beloved Muppeteers.
First off, being a huge Opie and Anthony fan I naturally have to dislike Howard :wink: But aside from that, Howard has always been very bitter in many aspects and on many topics in the past on his show.

I find it very hard to believe that Jim Henson would send a remark like that but I could certainly understand if he were jaded by being turned down working for Henson.

That being said Howard is also still a human being and is entitled to his opinion regarding the Muppets on AGT. Apparently many of us here weren't happy either so I wouldn't come down on Howard about that. But it is interesting how he brought that up.

unclematt

Reaction score
All I have to say is this is Howard Stern we are talking about.

WHO CARES?

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I've listened to Stern for years and rule number 1 is that when listening to him, take everything with a gigantic grain of salt.
True, and I'm positive Jim didn't respond the way Howard claimed. Truth be told, it most likely wasn't from Jim personally, but rather a secretary or something (although, I suppose if this happened when Howard was fresh out of school and the similar stories I've heard about the company during this time, it could have been).

4 post in 7 years! I'm on a break neck pace!
Lol! Keep it up! :smile:

That being said Howard is also still a human being and is entitled to his opinion regarding the Muppets on AGT. Apparently many of us here weren't happy either so I wouldn't come down on Howard about that. But it is interesting how he brought that up.
His comments bothered me too, but as a big Stern fan, you have to understand that this is actually somewhat of a compliment coming from Howard. While he openly stated he hated the Muppets, he did acknowledge their value, skill, and appeal. It's not exactly a ringing endorsement, but for Howard Stern, it is praise.

I heard that it was on topic for discussion on The Wrap Up Show (an hour long program after Stern's show that discusses the days events with the listeners), but I'm unaware if it actually came up.

JimmyDeanDog

Reaction score
Stern's the type of freak that would even lift up Miss Piggy's panties by default...
:smile: