1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Hypothetical: The Muppets Are For Sale

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pjtoadie, Aug 9, 2017.

1. pjtoadie

pjtoadie Member

Let's say that Disney decided to sell The Muppets, who would you want to purchase them? Would you want another large company like NBC/Universal to purchase them and then in turn they'd utilize them at their parks or maybe someone not as big but they will try and put them #1 rather than just being another IP? Or would you want the Henson family to purchase them back? I just want more Muppets and I want them to be a big focus for whoever owns them.

*There might have been another thread on this so I apologize in advance if there is.

scooterfan360 likes this.
  2. BlakeConor14

BlakeConor14 Well-Known Member

Probably universal or Warner Bros.

scooterfan360 and pjtoadie like this.
  3. pjtoadie

pjtoadie Member

Yeah those two companies are huge so they'd be able to throw a lot of money and resources into the Muppets.

scooterfan360 and BlakeConor14 like this.
  4. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

As long as it's not HiT, Lionsgate, or Weinstein, perish the thought.

5. BlakeConor14

BlakeConor14 Well-Known Member

Or EM-TV if they are still a company

scooterfan360 and pjtoadie like this.
  6. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

I could see Warner buying them tbh.

7. ErinAardvark

ErinAardvark Well-Known Member

I don't know who I'd want to buy them, but I can tell you, I definitely don't want Warner Brothers to buy them, mainly because I have issues with them when it comes to Hanna-Barbera.

pjtoadie and scooterfan360 like this.
  8. Flaky Pudding

Flaky Pudding Well-Known Member

Idk, but I know one thing:I don't want it to be Viacom. Because if they were bought by Viacom, we could no longer make Muppet YouTube Poops. I think we have enough forbidden YouTube Poop sources already and I hope my favorite franchise is never owned by those YTP hating people:
    A Day at the Viacom Offices
    [​IMG]
    We've got to censssssor YouTube, you foolsssssss! Now follow my orderssssss!

scooterfan360 likes this.
  9. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Universal would be a terrible choice.

Back in the mid 90s, Bagdasarian Productions sold the Alvin and The Chipmunks franchise to Universal on the grounds the Universal promised to make the Chipmunks bigger in the 90s and 2000s than they were in the 80s and 90s - this was to include TV shows and specials, movies, albums, merchandising, and even theme park attractions (many of the same things Disney said they were going to do with the Muppets). After the sale, all Universal ever did with the Chipmunks was two direct-to-video movies, and that's it; they didn't follow through with any of the other promises they made. So because of this, Bagdasarian Productions sued Universal for breach of contract, and to also buy back control of the franchise, which they were able to do successfully, and since then, Bagdasarian has retained an iron grip on the franchise and continue to do so to this day.

pjtoadie and scooterfan360 like this.
  10. scooterfan360

scooterfan360 Well-Known Member

i think hallmark should buy them, they did such a great job with them, when their network was teamed up with Henson.

pjtoadie likes this.
  11. D'Snowth

Yeah, but Martha Stewart took over Hallmark Channel several years back and pretty much turned it into a frou-frou channel.

12. LittleJerry92

Oh, how about Fox?

13. scooterfan360

well i would say PBS should buy them, but i would like it if a channel that is like what hallmark channel use to be like, would buy them, if their is such a channel, that is like what hallmark use to be like.

pjtoadie likes this.
  14. scooterfan360

i don't know about that, they might try to turn the Muppet's into a puppet version of the simpsons, or worse another family guy, which i think, are both getting old, and boring.

15. D'Snowth

FOX Network or Twentieth Century Fox?

16. scooterfan360

okay now, twentieth century fox might be a good studio to buy the Muppets.

pjtoadie likes this.
  17. D'Snowth

I'm not so sure about that either.

Going back to the Chipmunks franchise, those live action/CGI movies have been produced by Twentieth Century Fox, and have given Bagdasarian Productions very, very little creative input, hence why the characters sound and act very differently from the rest of the franchise's titles (like the recent Nick show). Granted, there wouldn't be any secondary company involved, so Twentieth Century Fox could call all the shots they want - including probably bringing in celebrities to dub the characters' voices so the movie will sell better with more recognizable names.

pjtoadie likes this.
  18. LittleJerry92

I was thinking Fox Network.

pjtoadie likes this.
  19. scooterfan360

well, there has to be a good network out there somewhere.

pjtoadie likes this.
  20. pjtoadie

pjtoadie Member

You know a lot about the Chipmunks, I LOVED them growing up!