I Absolutely Hate Sewing

AveQ

Reaction score
Every time I start a puppet, I complete the foam structure, then it comes time to cover it with fleece.

I cut the fleece perfectly.
I begin sewing using the basic whipstitch.
Although time-consuming, I have patience and complete sewing.
I flip it inside out and long-behold, the seam looks like total crap. I waste so much time doing seams over and over and it just never ends up looking good. It pops out and threads are showing, ugh it's terrible. I can never make a nice puppet if I can't get this down though!

Would I be better off machine-sewing? If so, where can I get a good, decently priced machine? I'm on a budget, so it'd need to be towards the lower end. :sympathy:

If not, I need some MAJOR tips about sewing. I mean the stitches look nice, but when turned inside out... ugh. Makes me frustrated just thinking about it.

Thanks guys, you're always a big help!

Kevin

muppet88

Reaction score
Are you using Antron Fleece? That does help hide the seams especially if you pick the caught fibers. Have you tried the ladder stitch or Henson stitch? Just a few ideas.

AveQ

Reaction score
Nope - I don't want to mess up using a fleece that expensive. :sigh: I'm using Polar Fleece, but I don't think it's necessarily about hiding them, they just look gosh darn awful and puffed out. Here are some pictures to help you try to understand:

littlelotto

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm just working on my first puppet, but I've sewn for a long time. It looks like you are taking too wide of stitches. The whip stitches will look better if they are right next to each other. Tiny tiny stitches, and maybe pull the thread tighter. It looks loose.
As far as a sewing machine, it will help you with the flat seams, but when attaching the head to the neck it gets tight and you'd do better sewing by hand anyway. If you want to buy a machine, inexpensive ones run around $80.

AveQ

Reaction score
I know the seams on the neck are visible and annoying, but I don't know if you see the ones on the chin and back of the head. They're warped and puffed out. Is that caused from wide stitches as well?

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
hey i to use blizzard/polar fleece, i mix it though with a antipill fleece...it may be the stitch you are using try going a ladder stitch see if makes a difference

bluebomber95

Reaction score
Based on the pictures, I think you're being hard on yourself. It actually looks good. Plus, with a good performance, no one will notice the seams because they'll be focused on the puppet's movements.

But, if you want to improve your sewing, just make the stitches less wide and don't pull hard after every single stitch. Look at some of the great online video tutorials.

Animal31

Reaction score
I agree with Littlelotto and Bluebomber95, smaller stitches may help out alot. Also, now that it's stitched, go over the outside of it with a ladder stitch. That may help hide them as well on this particular puppet, plus strengthen the stitches....

Melonpool

Reaction score
Do you whip stitch it while the fabric is ON the foam understructure? Are you using seam allowances?

The best results I've seen are done this way:

1. make foam puppet, with mouthplate installed.
2. cut fleece with no seam allowances.
3. pin fleece (WRONG SIDE OUT!) onto foam puppet, paying particular attention to the centerline. Make sure fleece lies flat and that you pin at mouth with about 1/2 inch overhang at mouthplate (which will be glued later). Again, make sure everything is wrong side out and more or less lying flat.
4. whipstich all the darts first, make sure they line up and that everything still lies flat.
5. whipstitch the center seam all the way around. I usually leave the last 2-3 inches open at the back of the neck so I can turn it easier, then finish it with the ladder/Henson stitch once it's turned.
6. once everything's sewn, unpin it and turn everything right side out.
7. Put fleece back on foam right side out and re-pin the entire thing. If there is any extra fabric, try to make it pull to the back of the head that is still open. You shouldn;t have to, but you can easily cut any excess fabric from here if you have to before you sew it shut using the Henson stitch.
8. Once it looks good, glue at the mouth and sew up the back.
9. You may have to pick a few seams, but this seems to be the best way of going about it.