I bought some foam

BorkBork

Reaction score
Hey, today i bought some foam.
It's 1 CM thick, is that enough. I don't know how much a half inch is in centimeters..we don't measure in inches in sweden....

/Anders

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wish they had foam stores around here. Then I could buy some and practice making crude puppet type objects from them. Of course, state side the only foam around is that stuff on top of a double mocha latee! Stinkin' coffe places.

BorkBork

Reaction score
do you really not have foamstores??? I mean, it's an obvious thing here. Whe have not only foamstores, we have a store (actually a chain) called Panduro Hobby. There i buy styrofoam balls, furr, "beakerhair", glossy for the styrofoam-balls-eyes, cissors, pens, paintbrushes, 'inside-mouth-felt' and so on....

Then we have thousands of different textileshops where i can buy fleece in different colours. Sweden is really one of those "make-it-yourself-contries". I guess i'm lucky here.

By the way, foam was really cheep. It's 1 cm thick polyeten 2x2 meters wide for $17. At least i think that's cheap :smile:

/Anders

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Dang---if puppet materials were as prevalent in America as they apparently are in Sweden, I might have a Janice of my own by now!

BorkBork

Reaction score
when i have learned to build one, i'll make you one. Although it might take a little time, cuz i'm just starting out.

/anders

BorkBork

Reaction score
i think that my 1 cm thick foam is too thin...it's a bit hard to get steady, it wobbles too much...any thoughts anyone? should i try thicker foam or is it supposed to do this?

/Anders

Drtooth

Reaction score
I found a craft store that had styrofoam Eyes, but that was it. Just felt and stuff. I had to make due with sock puppets., but I did a pretty good job with the materials I have.

officermom

Reaction score
Anders:

1 cm foam might be a bit too thin for most applications.

In the US, most suggestions/patterns/etc. call for foam that is AT LEAST 1/2 inch thick (this would be MORE than 1 cm -- about 1.25 cm). 3/4 inch foam is gaining in popularity (although I can't find it easily commercially available) and would be equivalent to about 2 cm. Some patterns also call for 1" foam which is about 2.5 cm.

Don't give up your foam, though. It could make great "accessories" like ears or noses. You might also be able to use it for arms or legs (if it were sewn or glued and then stuffed with fiberfill).

You might also consider using a contact cement which remains relatively flexible. "Stack" the foam to make a piece which is 2 cm thick.

Also, for smaller puppets, 1 cm foam might be just the thing.

Have fun!

--Melissa