I can't believe they remade this.

JLG

Reaction score
They really did it.
They really remade "A Loaf of Bread, A Container of Milk, and a Stick of Butter."

In all seriousness, I always try to avoid being a cranky adult who's always ranting about "Things were better when I was a kid and blah blah blah..." because ragging on that stuff, at least in most cases, strikes me as pretty silly. But things like THIS irk me. They really do.

I don't think many people would deny that Jim Simon's original (
) was one of the most memorable things that ever showed up on Sesame Street. So many people remembered this one, years and even decades later. Why? Besides its catchy soundtrack, the main reason was because it had character. It was unique, quirky, offbeat and personal. It was a reflection of someone's aesthetic. Only Jim Simon characters walked like that, prancing down the street like a ballerina in the midst of seizure fit.
In terms of showcasing people's personal aesthetic, so much of Sesame Street used to be like that, even well into the 90s.

In light of that, what bothers me so much about the wave of remakes of recent years is that they're just so.... blah. Compared to what they're meant to replace, they don't have any flavor at all. No real character. They look like, for lack of a better way of putting it, products designed to be "safe." Conservative and safe. I don't think that's accidental.
The recent trend in animation for young children, I've noticed, is an emphasis on very generic, simple graphics. I guess the idea is that children respond better to images that are bright, colorful and easy to digest. It may well be true, as reluctant as some of us are to acknowledge it. But it's still very sad that the personal is always being sacrificed for the committee-approved, the quirky for the generic, the organic for the sterile. And yes----the hand-drawn for the Flash (or whatever program was used to create this bland assortment of vectors). I'm sorry, but the robotic, lifeless movements that low-budget Flash animation produces are very ugly to look at. No matter how cute the characters may be, like this new girl, they come off stiff and lifeless when rendered through this animation process. It really is a shame, and it makes me sad that this trend is so pervasive.

I just don't understand why people think this is the right path to take, all things considered. The Jim Simon original got a strong audience response for so many years, just as it was. So why the remake? Why bland it down? Sigh.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
The only problem I have with it is they played it after this segment:

which perfectly references the original segment, making the cartoon redundant following it.

JLG

Reaction score
Ironically, the music they play during that segment mimics the soundtrack of the original.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So why the remake?
They kind of have this "unwritten rule" that the show can't look "dated"... especially nowadays since the show switched to "HD".

JLG

Reaction score
So ironic. For so many years, they were a little TOO loose about not caring whether stuff looked dated. Even in the late 1990s they were still running stuff that was obviously very old. The switch to HD aside (which I'll admit is a little bit hard to toss aside since that's quite a significant game-changer), I wonder what the thinking is behind this very stark change of mind.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Considering all the classing material is online anyway, there should really be no complaints about classic material not being in the new episodes.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't think the complaint is so much about the lack of classic material as it is about the fact that classics like the aforementioned have to be remade.

JLG

Reaction score
Regardless though-----"dated" seems sadly to extend to any visual styles that aren't what I've come to call "Preschool Vectorian." It's not just Sesame Street or even just PBS preschool animation----so much of preschooler media has that look now. And it's so suffocatingly bland. It's not stimulating in the same way as the visuals kids used to soak in.

JLG

Reaction score
I don't think the complaint is so much about the lack of classic material as it is about the fact that classics like the aforementioned have to be remade.
Exactly. Moving on and starting fresh is one thing. Replacing old landmarks with things that are far more conservative and blanded down is something else entirely.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I feel your pain. It's like "Sesame Street meets Baby Einstein".
Same thing applies to music, like some feeble attempts to "update" some of Joe Raposo's classic tunes. The blandness chokes the life out of it.