I did something really stupid. Please help quick!

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Okay, I need a tech geek for this one. Here's the story.
I thaught I'd try to install the latest version of Itunes, so I donloaded the program from the site, and followed the directions to activate it. Everything was fine, until I got a message saying that I couldn't open it because I didn't have Windows 2000. I thaught I had this; apparently I don't.
:eek: That was mistake number 1.
Then I figured, since I couldn't use it, I might as well delete it.
:eek: Mistake number 2, because while I thaught deleting it would just leave me with my old version, which there was really nothing wrong with, now every time I try to listen to something, it gives me the same message that it can't open it.
My question is, is there anyway I can get the old version back? Can I download past updates from the old site, or is there a way to salvage it from my own hard drive?
Oh, and one thing I forgot to mention, and what probably put the final nail in my coffin, was that after deleting the file, and making 1 failed attempt to listen to music I had saved, I restarted the computer desperate hope to get it working again.
:eek: Mistake number 3. Needless to say, it didn't work. I'm not really that computer savy, so if someone could walk me step-by-step through this, I would appreciate it very much! Thanks!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You're not even supposed to download ANY kind of software or programs or anything like that off the internet; they may claim to be safe, but most of them still have viruses, worms, trojans, and other bugs hidden in them and once you download them onto your computer then that's when things get really ugly.

Trust me, my computer repairman ain't kidding!

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Oh trust me; I've seen ugly, so I know what you're talking about! You do have to do some things though; you can't spend your life doing nothing. This was my philosophy, and since I had done it successfully before, I didn't think it was a problem.
At least now I can listen to the radio; I've switched temporarily over to Real Player.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Boy, you're desperate, because Real's crap!

furryredmonster

Reaction score
Download the newest Windows Media Player. I did, and beilve me, it rocks! I've had no problems with it and I LOVE it. It has so many great new features.

Snowth, not all things are bad to download. If it's a popular, trusted program like Itunes is and you download it from the official site, it's ok.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm a bit scared now, but there is still a small possibility that I'll try that. Does it play MP3s?
Well Snowth, I already had Real, so all I meant was that I changed the setting on Live 365. Now I can listen to all of those stations, but when it comes to any other stations or downloaded music I'm still stuck. Thanks again.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Can't you get it off Apple's site (I tend to trust direct sources, myself)? I use WMP too, but if you're using an iPod, you pretty much need to run iTunes. (the reason I don't have an iPod, I use different programs for different tasks). WMP is a WONDERFUL all-around music program and WMP 11 was a good and functional upgrade, in my opinion.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
That's where I got it from. Thanks, I think I will try WMP.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Sorry, only because it was too late to edit the last post.
I'm now using Winamp to listen to MP3s, and Real to listen to Live365, so I'm pretty much covered without having to download anything. I still miss Itunes, but I'll live, and I'll have my cousin look at it whenever I see her next, her being the resident computer expert in the family. Thanks everyone for there help and support.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
You can probably get a fix the next time iTunes does an update. Hopefully :big_grin: