I don't hate Elmo.....

Rosewood

Reaction score
The other day I was watching SS with my kids. We had watched the beginning scenario, "Journey to Ernie", Global thingy, letter and number of the day, Global Grover, and a short cartoon about a kid who had a pet iguanna. Then, (as I was telling my daughter "No, you may not have an iguanna for a pet!) I hear the "La,la,la,la!" that tells me "Elmo's World" is starting, and the smouldering bit of hope I'd had that they just might show 1 old skit or song today has once again been snuffed out for good (at least for another 24 hrs.) As Elmo sings and dances and laughs, I notice my stomach involuntarily
starting to tighten and my fingers starting to grip the chair arms. I try to calm down and be optomistic: "Maybe it will be something new and worth watching today" I think to myself. I start to listen again as the high falsetto voice asks "Can you guess what Elmo is thinking about today?" I mumble something under my breath as I glare at the T.V. "Right!" Elmo says, "Today Elmo is thinking about ...FEET! YEAH!!!!!!!!" At this point my kids have lost interest, due to the fact that this would be the "umpteenth" time we have seen this Elmo's world in less than a month. I get up and turn the T.V. channel to 3. As I am popping in a new SS DVD called "Alphabet Jungle", my 3 year old intentively asks me "Mommy, why do you hate Elmo?" I simply say to her "Don't worry about me, honey. Just because I don't like something doesn't mean you can't like it. Now lets watch the new DVD we just got." I sit back down and we start to watch, but as the DVD starts to play my mind is still asking me "Yeah, Mommy, why do you hate Elmo? He's cute, cuddly, sweet, adorable, and acts like he wouldnt hurt a fly. He's never done anything to you, personally. In fact, if he ever saw you, he'd probably kiss you! So, other than the fact that his repetative, high-pitched laugh can sometimes get annoying, what is it about this little guy that makes you hate him so much?" I ponder for a while, taking the time to really think all this over, and finally come to a conclusion: I don't hate Elmo. In fact, when it comes right down to it, I actually kinda like the little guy. I guess what makes me so irritated and tense when "Elmo's World" comes on is that I'm suffering from a form of "Muppet Variety Starvation" and am comming to a conclusion that there is nothing I can do about it. It brings on a feeling of utter helplessness! The shows that SS is putting out now are 50% or more just Elmo. Sure, they still show a beautifully re-enhansed old vintage clip now and then; enough to get your hopes up and keep you watching in hopes of seeing more. But you can only be fooled so many times. Whats the old saying "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me?" Well, thats about where I'm at right now. You can dangle a carrot in front of a donkey and, sure it will make him walk and pull a cart, but even a donkey eventually knows when he's been had, and will stop pulling. No, I don't hate Elmo. Or Telly, Zoe, or Baby Bear. They are, to todays generation, what Kermit, Grover, Cookie, and Big Bird were to mine. It simply saddens me to think that over 3000 episodes of good old SS, a lifetime of work for Jim Henson and Joe Raposo, could possibly be sitting in some old archive room, letting time do its irreversable damage to them. I don't hate Elmo. But when someone gets forced into a place they really dont want to be in, (like Elmo's world in my case), you can't blame a person for instinctivly trying to resist, even if they know it's ultimately a futile fight. Its simply the nature of the beast. :frown: :cry:

BEAR

Reaction score
Not to try and make myself moderator (only peace maker), I think you should send a little apology furryredmonster's way. The problem isn't so much that you don't like Elmo, it is how you treated someone who really loves him. Thats all I am saying.

Rosewood

Reaction score
"and now, ONE MORE TIME!!!!!!"

Please refere to post #38 on "Elmo teaches children to manipulate???"
dated 8-31-05. For the benefit of those who missed it, there is a very formal appology which was posted the same day as the "insult" was made!!!!!!!!!!

Now, Bear, what are you going to be? A "peace maker" or a "thread killer"?
I'm tired of playing this game, guys. Can't we all just get along, and start producing some respective, constructive posts here?

BEAR

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
Please refere to post #38 on "Elmo teaches children to manipulate???"
dated 8-31-05. For the benefit of those who missed it, there is a very formal appology which was posted the same day as the "insult" was made!!!!!!!!!!

Now, Bear, what are you going to be? A "peace maker" or a "thread killer"?
I'm tired of playing this game, guys. Can't we just all get along and start producing some polite, constructive posts?

Rosewood, you must understand that I never got a chance to read that post in the thread, as well as anything else after that. I was out of town for nearly a week and by the time I got back, that thread was sorta pushed back into the archives and wasn't really there for me to see. I'm sorry that I didn't see your apology. Otherwise, I wouldn't have said anything further here. I am just now reading your post that is meant to be directed at me. If I had been able to see these before then I wouldn't have cared. I am not trying to destroy you in any way, so no need to think so. i appreciate your apology to us. I hope you continue to enjoy your time here.

F

furryredmonster

I really do not think anybody hates Elmo. They just want more of the classic characters and they think Elmo is a brick wall in front of them.

anythingmuppet

Reaction score
Well, I personally dont think now ( I had a convuluted view before ) Elmo's getting in the way! ( he is actually kinda cute :smile: ) I just think that the reason SW has Elmo so much is because that's how kids their age can relate! It's not that bad ( but I would like to see some of the oldies too, not that I'm saying that Elmo's a brick wall )

Just My Opinion,
Nick