I don't know what to think about this.

spcglider

Reaction score
My boss sent me this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGInYjY7QrY&mode=related&search=

After you watch it, come back and discuss. I realize from square one that this is potentially a hot-button thread, so I am going to immediately request that we keep as far away from the politics of the subject and strictly discuss the Muppet element here.

Frankly, I don't really know how to feel about this.

For several reasons I find the idea to be repulsive. I do not agree with the entire reasoning, method, or continuation of the Iraq conflict, and I'm just going to hazard a guess that both Jim Henson and Kermit would not want to be involved on any level. That's about as anti-Muppet as you can get. The sight of Kermit dressed up in leaf camo and aiming a monstrous rifle at unseen enemies is just wrong. Like some bad gag on SNL.

On the other hand, I recognize the need for our troops to comfort themselves while they are being asked to put their lives on the line. Obviously the soldiers who have brought Kermit along as a "mascot" are Muppet fans like us. Muppet fans in a very difficult situation. And who can blame them if they want to have Kermit along as a reminder of and symbol of the other, calmer, gentler life they live when NOT in uniform?

And just like the old Reeses Peanut Butter Cup commercials... you can't get chocolate in your peanut butter without getting peanut butter on your chocolate. So Kermit being dressed up and posed with elements from the soldier's insular universe is something that surely must be expected, but also must be identified for what it is... projection.

Perhaps the soldiers involved felt that bringing Kermit into a battle area would be unfair unless he had been "taught to function in that environment". If they love the Muppets like we all do, they'd never purposely endanger Kermit unless he was on a par with them.

Or perhaps the soldiers are telling us something even more personal. Maybe Kermit represents them in a way not immediately recognizable. For many of them, this is the first full-combat tour they've pulled. So, what we have is basically a bunch of "innocents" putting on soldier's uniforms and heading into a decidedly non-friendly situation. (Yes, I know, they ARE soldiers and have been trained, but it is someting quite different to actually step into real combat). Is Kermit actually representing their innocence? Are they using Kermit as a totem to safeguard that part of themselves that they cannot, by necessity, safeguard themselves in this situation? Is this Kermit figure a "safety deposit box" for all their kinder, gentler natures while they must do their duty?

Just thoughts I've had on the subject.

What do you all think?

I pause here to remind you again, this is NOT a thread about politics. Please keep all commentaries focused on the video and the Muppet connection to the subject.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I'm gunna stand out of a limb here and say that I don't have a problem with this. The Muppets have amazing personalities that hold warmth and family values and, most importantly, memories.

Wrapped in that smiling, green toy is a wealth of feeling that binds their situation with hope.

Now, I don't say that I approve of the images of Kermit firing a gun. But these have been put together with a laugh and a love for Kermit and fun. I think it's sweet, to be honest. And I hope it brings them more hope to come.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
You know... This gives people the chance to debate and discuss... Would recommend you read through Together Again's fanfic titled A Heart of Gold in the FanFiction & FanArt section of the forum, as this has made a huge impression on one of our most cherished characters, and most wonderful authors as well.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I agree with Count. I was thinking about Heart of Gold as I watched this. In the fanfic Heart of Gold, Kermit was called to a war and later returns to America where he attempts to convince the public that their armed forces are patriotic and should be supported. It's heart rending, but thought provoking.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well people can make whatever video they want on youtube. Within reason, I don't care. It is kinda cute and I can see where it would give the troops a laugh, which is nice.

Sometimes fighting for a cause is necessary. And I can see characters we like standing up for that occasionally. The problem is with this particular conflict in Iraq. Supporting the troops is important. But in my opinion, part of supporting the troops should be not risking their lives unless we know for absolutely sure the cost is justified. In case, I don't believe it was.

I've seen military families on TV having to say goodbye to their parents. It's the saddest thing I've ever witnessed. If we're going to do that to them, we have to be sure it's worth it.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
There are way worse videos "spoofing" the Muppets on youtube.

For whatever reason, people really like to make videos of the Muppets doing gangsta rap. Go figure :confused:

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
HAHA!! I love it! Its kinda like the Lawn Nome thing in Amelie. Then again I come from a military background, and my Fiancee is in the Air Force, and I have BUNCHES of friends in the millitary (that have been to Iraq) Just some innocent fun, thats all (you know you would do it if you were over there and had nothing better for entertainment) It gets them to smile when they are over there, something they need to do after all they do.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
It is a torn situation, but you know what? The guy's doing what he has to do to keep himself happy, sane, and probably Kermit will be protecting him and bringing him home. If I had to do something like that man is doing, I betcha I'd be taking along my Kermit, too. At VERY least my Miss Piggy, because she knows karate. Or, maybe my Fozzie so he could make me laugh. Or...actually, I hope I would never have to do anything like that.

I'm too big a sissy.