1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

I have MADE an ASTOUNDING DISCOVERY

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by MeepBorkMeep, Feb 18, 2006.

1. MeepBorkMeep

MeepBorkMeep New Member

So here I am sitting in my living room while my mom is cleaning up tapes. And she pulls out one called "Jim henson Special" and I figured it was one of them Christmas specials, right? WELL I'm watching it now, and it's, like, this Great Performances thing "The World of Jim Henson" where they have all these interviews about his early work and Muppet work, and these old clips, they have a Don Sahlin interview, behind the scenes of his work on the Ed Sullivan show, so much stuff it's AMAZING. Keep your eyes out for real copies, this is a must-see for all Jim Henson/Muppet fans. :)

P.S. In the beginning they have this clip where Fozzie and Kermit are talking, and Fozzie is very frightened and tells Kermit "Whatever I say, you can NOT look...there is SOMEONE UNDER ME," and they totally flip out. Does anyone know what this is from? It's good.
  2. dizzyizzy

dizzyizzy New Member

Is this the same thing as "A Tribute to Jim Henson" from right after he died? I actually have a tape of that and I think it's absolutely amazing! It's one of my favorite things to watch. :)
  3. Tim Kelly

Tim Kelly Member

Is it the one where Frank Oz explains that, when he performs Miss Piggy, he has to bring up the woman inside of him? 'Cause I've been wanting to see that one again for years.
  4. Barry Lee

Barry Lee Active Member

This special was a PBS special from the series of PBS episodes "Great Performances" The opening is from the Puppeteers of America festival.
  5. MeepBorkMeep

MeepBorkMeep New Member

I don't believe so, Tim Kelly, unless I wasn't listening at that part. But that sounds neat, do you know anything else about the tribute that clip was in?

DizzyIzzy, it came out in 1994, four years after he died, but it still might be what yer talking about cause it /was/ technically a tribute.

Thanks, Barry Lee. I thought the clip seemed a little too unprofessional for a full blown Muppet Show, and more Sesame Street professional, but Fozzie was never in that, so I was confused. My mother would like to know if they taped the festival and it's open to public. I told her probably, but she wants a better response, so I said I would ask you, if you don't mind.
  6. Muppetsdownunder

Muppetsdownunder New Member

Its a great documentary that one. I'm just about to put my video of it onto DVD, they should release this commercially.
  7. MeepBorkMeep

MeepBorkMeep New Member

I know, Gosh, this thing is amazing. I'm gonna go watch it again. *Shuffles off*
  8. MGov

MGov New Member

9. vertigo

vertigo New Member

Yes, this was the PBS special from '94, I ordered it back then and it actually had a nice cover design for it. It is one of the best biography's done on Jim Henson, an hour and a half long; shocking at the time. They even used an old segment of Kermit and Piggy hosting Great Performances from the 80's; it was perfect!
  10. MeepBorkMeep

MeepBorkMeep New Member

Oooh neat. Thanks MGov. I'd order it, but I like my poor tattered copy. Maybe I'll order it fer someone else, though. :)
  11. Tim Kelly

Tim Kelly Member

Unfortunately, my memory is pretty fuzzy. I know it was a Muppets/Jim Henson retrospective-type of special. I'm trying to recall when I saw it broadcast... Maybe 1986? I know it was before Henson died. Then again, maybe it wasn't!
  12. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

No they're not, lol! But this really is an astounding discovery!
  13. MeepBorkMeep

MeepBorkMeep New Member

I know, D'Snowth! I must have seen this tape, like, three times in the last 28 hours. S'awesome, it is.
  14. superboober

superboober Member

If it is what I think it is, (and what I'm thinking of aired one afternoon on Nickelodeon), I recall the characters standing around "Muppet Central" with loads of TV screens around, and we learn about the fancy pupptry work they've done over the years (including detailed synopses on how the Gorgs and Doozers work, plus how they did all the bike riding scenes over the first few films, which was the first time I heard of Brian Henson). For the denoument, they went to bluescreen and pulled back to show the puppeteers working the main characters. Once back in the fantasy world, Fozzie makes an oath never to look down again. Kermit (and I believe Scooter was there as well, which if so would have made it earlier than 1994) do so anyway, see just the floor, and breath huge sighs of relief that it was all just a bad dream that humans were manipulating them (or so they think...)

Sound familiar to anyone?
  15. ReneeLouvier

ReneeLouvier Active Member

Wow. As soon as I get some money, I'm gonna get that. XD

I seem to remember watching that show as well. It could have been made in parts before '94, but wasn't shown until then perhaps? That's just my thinking on it.
  16. MeepBorkMeep

MeepBorkMeep New Member

No, superboober, don't sound familiar to me, but it does sound /wicked/ awesome. Do you have any idea what it could be called?

And ReneeLouvier, if your still talking about the Great Performances thing, yeah I believe most of it had been made before 94, but I think once Jim died they wanted to make sure it was perfect so it could be used as a tribute. That's just what I think, so don't go by it, but it kind of makes sense I suppose.
  17. MGov

MGov New Member

Super Boober, that was an episode of "The Jim Henson Hour" that ran on NBC for a little while. Nickelodeon ran the reruns. I taped it from that.
  18. Muppetsdownunder

Muppetsdownunder New Member

This was widely available on video in Australia up until a few years ago. It is available on amazon.com but is a different cover and would ofcourse be ntsc which may not play on Australian vhs players.
  19. Barry Lee

Barry Lee Active Member

The episode is "Secret of the Muppets" a wonderful JHH episode. One of the funny moment's is Bean Bunny seeing "Puppeteers!"

I see puppeteers! I see puppeteers! Great funny episode.
  20. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I taped the "Secrets of the Muppets" special when it was shown on Nickelodeon's "Muppet Matinee", circa 1993. I wish Nick still had that!

"Secrets of the Muppets" is great for fans interested in behind the scenes stuff (even if some of it is out of date now, like the computer effects). My favorite part is probably the making of the Viking sketch from the Muppet Show. It was also where I saw some of the other main puppeteers for the first time, other than Jim Henson. The special is also avilable for viewing at The Museum of Television and Radio. ;)

Jim: "Well that's the way it is around here. The fantasy always wins."
    Muppets: "Yeah!"