I Heart the 70s

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
It's because he's Canadian, isn't it?
Nope. It's the way he treated castmembers while he was on a particular show. Loren Michaels got tired of his shinanigins and banned him from the show.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Groovy was 60s, Psychedelic was 70s.
Actually, psychedelic was for the late 60's. Hence the term psychedelic drugs that were in full use in the middle of the 1960's. It helped the Beatles improve their music from all the same old love songs they did in their early years!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Now now, the Beatles did take LSD, but they were brilliant without it. :wink:

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Chevy Chase is currently banned from hosting any SNL shows. He even once got into a fight with Bill Murray.
I knew about the fight...I didn't know that he was actually banned from the show these days!:eek:

The fight happened in February 1978 when Chevy hosted SNL for the first time. He had left the show in October 1976, and by '78 had made his first starring feature, Foul Play, with Goldie Hawn (he was also considered for the role of Otter in Animal House, but took Foul Play because the part was bigger).

He came back to New York acting like Mr. Hollywood, bossing cast and crew members around, acting as if he owned the place. This didn't go down well with the cast, particularly Belushi and Murray.

Bill Murray joined the cast in January 1977, three months after Chevy left. His first season was a bit rocky, but by the following fall, had become a fan favorite, and not "the new guy" or "the guy who replaced Chevy Chase."

Murray was irked by Chevy's antics during the week of rehearsals, and it finally came to a head about five minutes before the show was set to go live; Chase and Murray began hurling insults at each other, and this turned into a fist fight. The fight was quickly broken up by Aykroyd and Belushi, but Chevy was visibly shaken.

If you watch the show (available on the season 3 box set), you'll see a dazed, somewhat out of it Chevy Chase, particularly in the cold opening and monologue. He and Murray only appear in one or two sketches together, but during the goodnights, Aykroyd and Belushi are standing on either side of Murray, as if, once the cameras are turned off, Bill is going to attack Chevy again.

This show, btw, ended up being the most-watched episode of SNL at the time, displaced two months later by one of Steve Martin's hosting gigs.

When Chevy hosted SNL again in 1980, he and Murray actually made up on air; the bit was staged, I'm sure, but both seemed to have put their differences behind them. The last time Murray hosted (the Jimmy Fallon/Horatio Sanz era), Chevy had a cameo, and the two did some lines from Caddyshack. That might have been Chase's last appearance to date...

When Chevy hosted the show in the 80s and 90s, there are more stories of him mistreating the various casts and insulting them; one of the most vulgar was when he made a distasteful comment to openly gay cast member Terry Sweeney.

So I guess Lorne finally tired of his antics and banned him, eh?