I hope Sesame Workshop never sells the company

Disneys Muppets

Reaction score
I hope Sesame Workshop never sells there company, especially not to Disney they'ed trash it up. That would be like a nightmare. I would never want the sign to say Disney's Sesame Street. Its hard thinking about it.

There would be one good thing thou, The Muppets and Sesame Street would be the same company again.

I just hope Sesame Workshop never does. I hope not.

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
Ahh...lol, i dont think we have to worry to much! :smile: at least for NOW anywayz :wink:

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
As long as Sesame Street is still in production, Disney will NEVER get their hands on them. When talk of Disney owning the Muppets first began in the months before Jim Henson's death, he promised SW (then CTW) that the Sesame Street characters would never be a part of it, a very wise move since it would mean they would lose a huge source of their revenue that they get from SS merchandise like the "Tickle Me Elmo" dolls, etc.

But I have absolutely no doubt that Disney would have snatched up the SS Muppets if they could.

McFraggle

Reaction score
Lone Wolf said:
But I have absolutely no doubt that Disney would have snatched up the SS Muppets if they could.
Isn't that one of the reasons the original deal fell through was that Disney wanted the Sesame Street characters?

King Jim

Reaction score
Disney's Sesame Street That would be so uncanny.

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
McFraggle said:
Isn't that one of the reasons the original deal fell through was that Disney wanted the Sesame Street characters?
IIRC, the original deal fell through because Jim Henson DIED soon after talk of Disney owning the Muppets first began in 1990 :confused:

McFraggle

Reaction score
Lone Wolf said:
IIRC, the original deal fell through because Jim Henson DIED soon after talk of Disney owning the Muppets first began in 1990 :confused:
Yeah, that was definately part of it, but after his death I think I read that Disney put pressure on the company to include the Sesame Street gang.

Censored

Reaction score
On the other hand, just about everything that is "vintage Disney" is available to the public in some form or another and not held under lock and key like "vintage Sesame Street." I have to wonder if a Disney purchase would make the old Sesame shows available to the public. If it would, I'd be all for it.

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
On the other hand, just about everything that is "vintage Disney" is available to the public in some form or another and not held under lock and key like "vintage Sesame Street."
This is like comparing apples and oranges. "Vintage Disney" consists of a (relatively) small number of movies, short films and TV specials -- not a TV series that has spanned more than three decades with episodes numbering in the thousands, as is the case with Sesame Street. Rest assured that even if Disney *did* own SS, they would do no more -- or very little more -- with classic SS than SW has done to date, for the simple reason that it's neither cost efficient or practical for *any* company, regardless of much money or muscle they have, to put thousands of shows on DVD box sets or turn them over to a TV network that is willing to air all of them. (not to mention unrealistic.)

So the bottom line is, SS fans can send emails, start petitions or letter writing campaigns and the like untill the cows come home, but the only way they'll get what they want is with a VCR, thousands of blank tapes, and a time machine.

Censored

Reaction score
Lone Wolf said:
This is like comparing apples and oranges. "Vintage Disney" consists of a (relatively) small number of movies, short films and TV specials -- not a TV series that has spanned more than three decades with episodes numbering in the thousands, as is the case with Sesame Street. Rest assured that even if Disney *did* own SS, they would do no more -- or very little more -- with classic SS than SW has done to date, for the simple reason that it's neither cost efficient or practical for *any* company, regardless of much money or muscle they have, to put thousands of shows on DVD box sets or turn them over to a TV network that is willing to air all of them. (not to mention unrealistic.)

So the bottom line is, SS fans can send emails, start petitions or letter writing campaigns and the like untill the cows come home, but the only way they'll get what they want is with a VCR, thousands of blank tapes, and a time machine.
Sometimes it's good to compare apples and oranges; it can help you decide which one you're in the mood to eat.

Disney productions have been anything but small and they've been around MANY more decades than Sesame Street. While it's true that Sesame Street was a daily show for 35 years, if you took out all of the repeated skits, I wonder how much footage you would really have.

When the first discussion of Disney merging with the Muppets occurred in 1989, I too was just as horrified at the thought of the great Sesame Street being tampered with. But, today, the show has changed so much, I really don't see how much more damage Disney could do. Sesame Street has McDonald's commercials, for God's sake. Are you sure Disney doesn't already own a part of it?

As for the feasibility of ever seeing all of the old episodes again, who knows? There was a time that I would never have thought that we'd even see as many as were shown on Noggin. In any case, the ability to actually see the old episodes has nothing to do with feeling nostalgic for them. It's okay to want something even if you can't have it.