I just acquired some really old Sesame Street books

Censored

Reaction score
Andrew T said:
With a little help from eBay, I was able to acquire this set of five Sesame Street books from 1970.

I had owned the Sesame Street Book of Shapes and the Sesame Street Book of People and Things when I was younger, although the books didn't appear to survive a household move four years ago. It's great to be able to have the books back again, as well as several other titles to complete the set.

Most of the books contain many stills from actual Sesame Street episodes from the first season and allow a look into segments of the era, so the books are as much a historical reference to me as an entertainment or educational tool.

Who else is familiar with these books? What do you think of them?
I love those books. I have "The Sesame Street Book of People and Things (I love the illustration of the street on the cover) and "The Sesame Street Book of Puzzles". They were lost books from childhood that I rediscovered in a thrift store.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Do the letters or numbers books have any pictures of any muppets or humans? i do know of quite a few first season muppet skits that could have been in those. The letters one could have had ABC-DEF-GHI (The Book of People and Things had The people In Your neighborhood, so it's not like they couldn't have used songs), skits with groups of monsters about the letters A and C, the skit where Ernie and lefty hold up P and R signs, Lefty attempting to sell Ernie a U, and Kermit's lecture on the letter W, and the numbers book could have had Five People In My Family, the skit where lefty sold Ernie a number 8, and the skit where Ernie drew objects that had four of something.

It seems like these books were not just promoting the muppets. The covers for the letters and Numbers books had pictures of characters from animated skits. The Sesame Street Book of People and Things cover was filled with muppets, humans, and cartoon characters (I didn't see Kermit on that cover, though). The stickers that came with this set included pictures of some cartoon characters (Alice Bratsworth Goodyshoes and Wanda The Witch) along with the muppets and humans.

Did the Book of Numbers include pictures from any of the baker films?

Censored

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
It seems like these books were not just promoting the muppets. The covers for the letters and Numbers books had pictures of characters from animated skits. The Sesame Street Book of People and Things cover was filled with muppets, humans, and cartoon characters (I didn't see Kermit on that cover, though). The stickers that came with this set included pictures of some cartoon characters (Alice Bratsworth Goodyshoes and Wanda The Witch) along with the muppets and humans.

That's a good point. Those early books may have been the most complete presentation of the show in book form. Muppets, cartoons, human cast members, and incidental humans in films were all basically given equal time. If someone had seen these books before watching the show, they might have even gotten the idea that the cartoons interacted with the humans and muppets. But, of course, the cartoons were basically in their own universe. Originally that was the idea for the muppets too, but that was changed right away.

superfan

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Do the letters or numbers books have any pictures of any muppets or humans? i do know of quite a few first season muppet skits that could have been in those. The letters one could have had ABC-DEF-GHI (The Book of People and Things had The people In Your neighborhood, so it's not like they couldn't have used songs), skits with groups of monsters about the letters A and C, the skit where Ernie and lefty hold up P and R signs, Lefty attempting to sell Ernie a U, and Kermit's lecture on the letter W, and the numbers book could have had Five People In My Family, the skit where lefty sold Ernie a number 8, and the skit where Ernie drew objects that had four of something.

Did the Book of Numbers include pictures from any of the baker films?
The Book of Numbers were all illustrated cartoon drawings of characters who were in various number segments at the time. No actual photos are in them. However they have a lovely full color drawings of each number surrounded by those funky patterns as in the Jazzy Spies number sequences. And they have the Jazzy Spies in it too.

Censored

Reaction score
Krazedmuppet said:
I was lucky enough to find that book, soo good!

I collect SS and Muppet kids books, I have quite the collection. Im slowly trying to get the full set of the SS library and SS treasury (very similer books) also I have alot of the book club ones. One of my favs is "how to be a grouch, by oscar the grouch" it was written and illistrated by Spinny himself!!!! :excited: I always wanted that one autographed....

"How To Be A Grouch" from 1976 is a delightful book. Caroll Spinney's artwork and writing is great and I've recognized the style in many other illustrated Sesame Street books. Caroll Spinney actually drew the picture of Mr. Hooper in the episode about Mr. Hooper's death.

Other notable things about "How To Be A Grouch" is that you see a couple characters in it that haven't appeared too often in the illustrated Sesame books. Harvey Kneeslapper is there, along with Willie the hot dog vendor.

There's also a cool photo on the back of Caroll Spinney is the trash can with Oscar. How often do you get to see that?

Cool stuff.